• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a 20yr old (Pearl) that wasnt trained and is now with us

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
They are such little individuals. He definitely goes to sleep when we cover him but I was reading another informational site that said they should just have the normal daylight hours and you shouldnt cover them. So being new, Im confused. We do watch TV in that room and I dont want to disturb him. My husband stays up waaaaay too late so natural light would be an issue since he has the lights on so late. We'll get this ;) Having the one bird yell at the other bird would be hysterical! Im really enjoying getting to know this little guy :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I put my birds in a closet with a closed curtain in a quiet, dark room for sleeping. They love going to bed, and get mad at me if I'm late. They are in there from about 7:00pm until 8:00am. I think this helps them get the rest they need, and I've never had any hormonal issues.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
He is finally letting me feed him with my hand in the cage. If I hold the treat hes ok but cautious. If I put it on my flat hand he backs away. Still progress in the right direction. Interestingly. the other morning I opened the door to better give him a mist bath and when I was done he flapped his way to the door and sat in the opening, startled all of us (him too I think) so he quickly went back in but it feels like he badly wants to come out and be part of the family. Coming down to eat with us is the cutest :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels should get 10-12 hours of sleep a day. Covering is personal preference and what your tiel likes. I would always cover my tiel. Cockatiels, however, tend to be prone to night frights. So I would leave one side partially open with a night light on for my tiel.

It sounds like you're making great progress. If he's coming to the door, you can also try putting a perch just outside of the door to see if he'll start to come out and sit on it on his own.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't cover my birds and they follow the natural rhythm of the day and night of where I live.

I would not recommend clipping him. From the sounds of it, his flight muscles aren't that strong anyway... and if he's clipped, that means he's just that much more grounded, if he does choose to take off... in other words, he would be in more danger with your dog.

As far as earning trust in an older bird... honestly, you are further ahead than you realize! This may be some additional inspiration! ;)

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

(PS, sorry about the lack of photos! New photobucket rules denying direct linking to images but the information is still good! and the videos!)

Last edited:

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Thank you Monica :) Im going to go read this and we are agreeing with you that he doesnt need anymore trauma. Last night he ate a nutriberrie off of my flat hand and he is intently inspecting the foraging plate I made him at the bottom of his cage. Im allowed to put my hand back in the cage again with quiet gentleness and ive moved the majority of this things in a way that he can spread his wings if he chooses. At some point, im hoping we can get him a bigger cage. I see him REALLY wanting to break the interaction barrier so we're just being patient :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Definitely helps to do it on *HIS* terms, and once he gets that step of confidence, as long as you don't break it, it can go rather quickly from there! From the sounds of it, he's really wanting that attention, he just doesn't know yet if he can fully trust you guys!

Kind of a learning curve for both of you! :)

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
This is our current situation..I opened it to hand feed a little (at least try) and was eating my dinner and he walked on out. After a stroll on the floor he voluntarily got up on my arm and walk/flapped his way up to my shoulder. This was taken right before he chewed through my necklace chain <sigh> and currently he is still on my neck. He seems fine though im not sure how were going to go from my neck to the cage and sometimes when I turn my head he gets mad but even the "stop" nibble to my ear wasnt painful. I guess were getting acquainted ;)

Attachments

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
and now hes intermittently napping then getting annoyed at my fuzzy hair and eye glasses ;)

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
so he flapped off when I walked to the cage..wont get on a perch and definitely wont get on my hand. Currently he is sitting on the floor next to the recliner looking angry at me when I try anything so im giving wide berth....at this point. Im taking a wait and see and stepping away (but husband...not getting the 'give him space' idea)

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
he found his reflection and is having a high old time. I am exhausted and still no closer to coaxing him back into the cage. sigh...so I gave him my mirror hoping to let him talk to himself for awhile and then maybe get on the mirror to go back to the cage but any movement he perceives as me moving into his space is hissed at. hand, arm, perch. so if anyone happens to be on with some advice, id be grateful...

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Sigh of relief..after he was completely in love with himself in the mirror I was able to slip a perch under his feet keeping the mirror in front of him the whole time so he traveled with his new "friend" and now hes safely tucked away in bed with the cover on. He was actually falling asleep under our table until he found his reflection in the chair leg...what a night-shew!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad you got him inside. Make sure all his food and water is in his cage so maybe he will go back if he is hungry. What a stinker! It's great that he came over to say hi to you earlier!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If possible, move the cage to him... or get a ladder that he can climb up to get to his cage?

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
I got fussed at by the husband that I shouldnt have "let him out" but I honestly didnt think he would come out..weve had the door open so many times and he just stays right where he is...it was so funny to see him come down the cage door to see what I was eating. He was adorable and slept on my shoulder but we definitely need a better plan for going back...he was perfectly happy to stay out and party with his new friend :lol:at least this time (even though he hissed at me a few times) I didnt get bitten and he was put in without chaos.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hehe:

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
If possible, move the cage to him... or get a ladder that he can climb up to get to his cage?
we still run into the age old problem of the other furries needing to eventually get out so I cant just let him go back in his own time without isolating him to a separate room which makes me sad. But at least he wanted to come out and visit and fell asleep on my shoulder..little booger...so if I dont completely screw this up, there is hope!

Attachments

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:heart:...so cute but they canbe stinkers.

Try to find a treat he loves & don;t give it until its back to cage time...He might go back.

Looks like he is coming around or else would not be sleeping on your shoulder.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a46944a8912e41ed68b30a6a9acc3937&oe=59C8BC07 (my attempt to link to the facebook image..let me know if I did this wrong or feel free to delete if its not supposed to be done this way. I was pretty sure that we werent supposed to go crazy withthe pics and this had like 8)
omg-I think we're starting forward progress! I think there is a limit to pics here so can I link it to my facebook post instead? 2.5 hrs out of the cage. Came out on his own with the door open and me eating again (he cant resist) and walked around on the floor when he finally flew down. I made absolutely no demands of him at all but eventually did lay down on the floor with him. after some tentative nervous circles, he actually ran to my head several times. he hung out right by my face (like couldnt move and his top crest was tickling my nose) while he preened and fluffed. Then he blew me away and started lick/nibbling around my face and arms. He warmed me a few times when he thought I touched him without permission but he was darn close if I even wiggled my head I touched him. He calmed down quickly with quiet talk each time and I didnt startle away. finally I had to move so I waited for him to move away a little bit and sat up but all of that didnt upset him. Crest went back up but he came right back over. He loves almonds so I was able to entice him onto my arm to reach an almond he was munching away on and he stayed there. but when we went back to the cage he flew off. SO, i brought back out the super cool new "friend" after a few minutes and let him visit then offered him the perch and his "friend" for the ride back to the cage. But, at least there was 0 trauma this visit out and what felt like super cool bonding!
So, whats the face nibbling/licking?