• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a 20yr old (Pearl) that wasnt trained and is now with us

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Patience is the one thing we have a lot of. Yes, I guess this has become sort of a journal/help me, hasnt it ;) so tonight he got very excited that his boyfriend (my chiweenie) was on my sons lap right nest to the cage (which we basically leave open almost all the time unless were away or sleeping) and he leaped/flew off to join them. But again, crash bandicoot, though getting stronger, still has little control and missed the target so flapped to the nearest landing pad. After bringing him to visit with the furfriend (which always makes him extremely happy) he flew off again and one more saving and he scooted to my shoulder where he is currently hanging out. I shared millet with him while he was up there (i am not above bribery) and he frequently is fussing at me but strangely seems happy to be there while he cleans up the dropped millet on my shoulder. Id like to think he's finishing telling me off for using a perch and making him mad. Oh the interesting rollercoaster life of teaching this little guy that we love him and gaining his trust :lol::heart: OH, yes, Ive been scouring pictures of perches and am getting some ideas. I like the idea of natural branches (we have a crepe myrtle tree) and of building a PVC perch as well. He loves his toys so I think that would be an excellent idea. I do believe the cage is part of our problem. Thank you again for all the insight and encouragement from everyone!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You could make a great tree stand for him. He will learn it is his place in addition to the cage. I have climbing things hanging from the ceiling too.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
You could make a great tree stand for him. He will learn it is his place in addition to the cage. I have climbing things hanging from the ceiling too.
Ive seen ideas like that! I love it and as this is my first adventure in bird parenting, I feel completely without ideas until I see something like that and think "that is so cool!! I wish I thought of things like that!" I think he's ready to forage as well. We now frequently find him on the bottom of the cage looking through the dropped pellets for his favorite seeds (where as in the beginning he stuck to his perch or a wall) Bat bird will hang from the ceiling, climb all four sides of the cage, go to the top of the cage (on the outside) and has FINALLY used the perch of a different size (looks like a branch) I bought him in JUNE. We had company over when my husband noticed him on it and the whole family ran from visiting to Pearl's cage to see! lol!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That is terrific!

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Some days, I just feel like i need to resign myself to making his last years happy & healthy but I worry that they cant be as happy as they could be. He still shuns (somewhat) human physical interaction unless he initiates and that is rare indeed. He comes to the bars..sometimes he goes to take food and suddenly pulls back. he seems to enjoy when he does finally come out and spend time with me and he is getting demanding about his open door time which I think is a good thing. It gives him the freedom to go up to the top of the cage but thats his limit. Up and down in and out. I talk to him and eat with him and he still adores the dog more ;) Its fun to watch everyone elses birds and how lovable they are but that is definitely not Pearl. Just lamenting a little...

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
I almost forgot to share our "oops" but hysterical story..we were away from the house last week and had to run as we were late for this event. Pearl had chosen that moment to fly out away from the cage. He found himself in a reflection in the bottom of our dining chairs and no amount of begging or trying would pick him up. So my husband got the cat in and we thought we had a conversation about locking her downstairs. 5.5 hours later we had this conversation:
H: I wonder how pearl is doing? I guess it's a good thing you locked the cat downstairs.
M: wait, didn't you lock the cat downstairs when you brought her in?
H: no, I thought you said you would lock the cat downstairs
M: uhoh...
He grabs the car keys and scoots the 12 minutes to the house and sends me The following 2 pictures. Pearl has not moved from his place of worship and the cat couldn't care less. 10643.jpeg 10640.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww, just give him time. It's been since June? My tiel came to live with us when he was 15. He wouldn't leave the room his cage was in and wouldn't step up on hands. I used to get him to step up on a pillow. Then, one day, he let us take him in the living room. Then, he always wanted to be in the living room. By the end of the first year, we actually had him living cage free during the day and he only was in his cage for bed. His little personality just exploded. But those first few months, I pretty much thought he would never leave his cage and that my fiancé would leave me (not really) because I spent every evening in the room with the bird. My point is, it really hasn't been that long, and it sounds like he's actually progressing pretty well. :)

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
This is one of the best threads I have read! It's been a page turner! Thank you for allowing me to share in your adventures with your Tiel! I'm cracking up reading all the stories! I've even limited myself so I don't catch up but I did because I couldn't stop myself from reading all the exciting adventures! Your sense of humor and the way you care so much shows what a nice person you are and how lucky Pearl is. He's a crack up! "place of worship!" LOL!!:rofl:

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Awww, just give him time. It's been since June? My tiel came to live with us when he was 15. He wouldn't leave the room his cage was in and wouldn't step up on hands. I used to get him to step up on a pillow. Then, one day, he let us take him in the living room. Then, he always wanted to be in the living room. By the end of the first year, we actually had him living cage free during the day and he only was in his cage for bed. His little personality just exploded. But those first few months, I pretty much thought he would never leave his cage and that my fiancé would leave me (not really) because I spent every evening in the room with the bird. My point is, it really hasn't been that long, and it sounds like he's actually progressing pretty well. :)

I know...sometimes I just look at him and ask "Pleeeeease let me scratch your head??!" but then we go back to life as noted. He's happy in his little way. Finding himself in reflective surfaces, begging the dog for a kiss and singing (haha) his praises and he definitely enjoys having an open door policy ;) and then nights like this...he immediately went to the top of the cage when we opened it and started to sing his little heart out <aaawwwwww :hug8:> He can be stubborn and refuses to touch fruits (dried, mashed or diced) he's still afraid of my hands but in a taste test (giggle) the other night..even though his beak said "dont do it" he didnt take a chunk of me when I stayed close and he bit on me and yet, I can feed him through the bars. But when he decides to grace my shoulder with his presence, he is actually seems very happy... messy, but happy. SIGH, I know we'll get there..sometimes I just have to do a little "woe is me" dance as I watch him try to get the toys to scratch his head or his attempts to entice his reflection into being his friend...I cant argue with his logic though...he is gorgeous :cool:

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
This is one of the best threads I have read! It's been a page turner! Thank you for allowing me to share in your adventures with your Tiel! I'm cracking up reading all the stories! I've even limited myself so I don't catch up but I did because I couldn't stop myself from reading all the exciting adventures! Your sense of humor and the way you care so much shows what a nice person you are and how lucky Pearl is. He's a crack up! "place of worship!" LOL!!:rofl:
He keeps us smiling and thank you..I didnt intend for this to become a journal of sorts when I just desperately needed to understand how to interact with him. The only bird experience I had before this was a parakeet when I was 11...a loooooooooooong time ago! (well, it feels that way anyway). I didnt want him to come live with us and live the same kind of locked up life he's had the last 10yrs or so. What I didnt realize at that time was that im not driving this train (lol) my tiny little conductor will let me know his needs as they arrive..at least were getting better at understanding each other!

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
You are a wonderful person. By all of your actions and the caring I have read on your fantastic journey, it has been wonderful. I adore Pearl and his narcissistic ways! I can see why too, he is to adorable! I love the photos you've posted and your family sounds wonderful. Please don't stop. I will continue to watch for your posts! :spinlol: It makes me feel like :sunflower:!! More more!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know...sometimes I just look at him and ask "Pleeeeease let me scratch your head??!" but then we go back to life as noted. He's happy in his little way. Finding himself in reflective surfaces, begging the dog for a kiss and singing (haha) his praises and he definitely enjoys having an open door policy ;) and then nights like this...he immediately went to the top of the cage when we opened it and started to sing his little heart out <aaawwwwww :hug8:> He can be stubborn and refuses to touch fruits (dried, mashed or diced) he's still afraid of my hands but in a taste test (giggle) the other night..even though his beak said "dont do it" he didnt take a chunk of me when I stayed close and he bit on me and yet, I can feed him through the bars. But when he decides to grace my shoulder with his presence, he is actually seems very happy... messy, but happy. SIGH, I know we'll get there..sometimes I just have to do a little "woe is me" dance as I watch him try to get the toys to scratch his head or his attempts to entice his reflection into being his friend...I cant argue with his logic though...he is gorgeous :cool:
Cockatiels tend not to eat fruit. I'd focus on getting him to try vegetables instead. And he sounds like a darling. :)

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Almost forgot... Usually we are a quiet Christian radio, singing, playing with pets kind of family. We get loud, I've raised my voice.. Were not perfect by a long shot. But, this year, my son decided to start band... And trumpet.... And folks, that's a kind of loud up close that none of us were ready for. Dog is running for bed covers, cat is scooting outside and Pearl is shaking his head like "what the heck is THAT?" Lord, I'm going to be digging out the ear plugs and a smile for my ambitious boy :) do they make them for birds?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My trumpet playing hubby says: Use a mute (on the trumpet). It needs to be a "practice mute." Even if he played in a hotel room they wouldn't hear him next door. Look on Amazon, he just looked it up for me.

Now you're gonna ask me if they make mutes for birds.:hehe:

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Oooohhhhh, thanks!! Lol! Actually, as birds go, Pearl is pretty quiet. I think he got do used to being alone that he's not a skwalker... Except where a toy touches him without permission:lol:

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
ok..Here is a new one. Tonight Pearl came out to the top of the cage, spread his wings and tail feathers then swung himself side to side. No one next to him (im in the adjacent dining area and my son was in another room). I know Pearl is "waking up" in a sense..becoming more of a character and finding his personality but this I havent seen yet. I coaxed him onto the rope stand? that I put on the outside of the cage tonight with some yummy yummy millet ;) Im trying to convince him that my fingers near him while he's on the cage (other than feeding prince Pearl) are ok and not to be turned into Sushi. so far, im not sushi, but im definitely not confident that I wont get turned into sushi...Im off to do a quick food shopping as well as get some fresh veggies for us and him :)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
My cockatiel loves spreading her wings and thrashing her head side to side , it's showing off I think , but If i'm massaging her head at the same time I'll get a few pecks lol(They don't hurt).

Have you tried feeding millet stick while holding it in your hand? U can slowly make the stick smaller and smaller until he is eating from your hand =D Then you can move the stick away from him and make him have to step on your hand to eat the millet. That's how I got my budgies to step up for the first time. They were 9 months old when I got them from the pet store and very afraid of humans.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's not the "cockatiel rain dance" by any chance, is it? (despite there being no "rain")

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
the rain dance sorta looks like her batgirl show off stance but she leans forward moreso when she does it. She loves doing it from her boing and birdie tent