• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice for a 20yr old (Pearl) that wasnt trained and is now with us

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would discourage the shoulder sitting for now as its going to be hard to remove him & sets up for a bad incident & a setback. Shoulder only for later when you can confidently remove him without issue. Jewelry & eyglasses & moles...they love them... Sounds like he is trying yo preen you which is nice but right now I'd keep him away from the shoulder face area.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I would discourage the shoulder sitting for now as its going to be hard to remove him & sets up for a bad incident & a setback. Shoulder only for later when you can confidently remove him without issue. Jewelry & eyglasses & moles...they love them... Sounds like he is trying yo preen you which is nice but right now I'd keep him away from the shoulder face area.
I second that. Buddy is a shoulder bird and she's a giant pain to get down when she chooses to be. She's very good with hands, but I wouldn't want to go through what we have to with an insecure or flighty fid.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Im a little at a loss..help the new girl out. We dont encourage anything at this point. Im letting him decide how much or how little he wants to interact. So im guessing that since I want to keep everything positive, trying to not encourage a behavior only leaves me with discouraging a behavior (which I no will not help us in anyway). So, how should I encourage other wanted behaviors at this time?

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I'm not saying discourage the shoulder, per say. Instead, make sure that you have a way of getting him off without upsetting him. Birds naturally aim for the highest location (safety in height). It seems like you are making great strides, and I wouldn't want you to lose progress because you had to do a whole dance to remove your girl from your shoulder.

What I tend to do is if she's on my shoulder and near her cage, I put my shoulder to where Buddy can hop off. This might work well for you.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
I'm not saying discourage the shoulder, per say. Instead, make sure that you have a way of getting him off without upsetting him. Birds naturally aim for the highest location (safety in height). It seems like you are making great strides, and I wouldn't want you to lose progress because you had to do a whole dance to remove your girl from your shoulder.

What I tend to do is if she's on my shoulder and near her cage, I put my shoulder to where Buddy can hop off. This might work well for you.

I definitely understand the dilemma of getting him off. I tried encouraging him to hop from my shoulder to the cage and you're right, it doesnt work. I have found that almonds and his special "mirror" friend (and a perch) seem to be the best ways to move him from point A-B so far. We end up with no trauma and can end interactions on a positive note. Im encouraged by his behaviors seeming to point to WANTING interaction but still being wary of actual interaction (after so many years of cage). I see him trying to snuggle with his toy and it breaks my heart..Im sure he wants love just doesnt trust us enough yet to snuggle with us..except that sleeping on me thing..that was heart warming :)

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
It'll happen...and the fact that he was on your shoulder is a great sign. The fact that he is willing to be bribed is also a good sign. It's all just still very new for him, and he's trying to figure everything out.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds like you're doing great! My cockatiel girls are back with us afte r almost a year with someone else, and they are now very afraid of hands. I'm focused mostly on Torrie, as she seems to want so badly to be with us yet she's scared.

Because hands are the problem-- I don't touch her. I open thee cage and start reading, sitting with my back to her. She flies around and eventually gets on me. I keep reading, maybe glance at her but no staring, that can intimidate them.

So far we don't have a bribe that works with her, so I lean my shoulder towards the cage. Then I sort of guide her in, not touching but holding my hands up behind her. Slow and calm.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Apparently Pearl thinks he is Gorgeous and every opportunity he finds a reflection he falls in love with himself all over again :joyful: but unexpectedly (and surprisingly!) we discovered by accident that he is also in love with our Chiweenie! They have never been allowed to be together (we dont trust the furbabies to not hurt the feathered little) so we usually lock them up if he's out. I have noticed though that when Oreo is around the cage, Pearl gets very interested. One afternoon I happened to have the dog in my arms not far from the cage and Pearl came climbing over and talking up a storm so we walked over and he started happy singing and wolf whistling to Oreo! He has yet to be that happy to see me :lol: He still hasnt forgiven the hands but at least he feels a part of the family!

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
Soooo, with not much change in the day to day but plugging along at just gaining trust and letting him feel safe, there hasnt been much to post. But tonight we seem to have taken a leap of faith/trust and Y'all, I am so.excited. !! We leave the door open and let him decide if he wants to come out or not. Usually the answer is not but we talk to him at the cage and generally spend as much time as possible interacting with him at the cage. So tonight I laid a pc of popcorn on the open door and sat next to him while I finished the bag (a little snack bag of popcorn) and he came out on the door :) we're always excited when he decides to join us. So he sits on the door just hanging out next to me for awhile and then I decided to finish my kitchen chores and see what he did. After a few minutes he flew out into the living room and landed at the floor behind the couch facing our stairs (split level home where you come up into the living room) So I walked down to make sure he was ok but left him alone at first and just talked to him. I could tell that he felt he wasnt going to be able to get out of the area he was in and there wasnt enough wing room for take off so I finally decided to chance the fingers to help him out. Offered my arm first but couldnt get it through the railing to help him and he was sliding on the bottom of the lamppost not looking like he was feeling trying to get off of that very well. So, taking the risk that he may not want my hands near him still, I gave it a try (fully expecting his usual angry reaction) and instead, he put his little crest up and just as gently as you please stepped up on my finger! I feel like I won the lottery!!:dance4: so he flew from my finger to my head and then tried flying again landing somewhat up the stairs. Still sweet talking him like crazy, I slowly offered my finger again and he stepped up with no aggression looking quite happy to do so!! :omg: I want to jump for joy but he's on my shoulder happily grooming his feet--heeheeheeheehee Im so excited!! Yippee! I was starting to worry that we would run out of time with this little elderly birdie before he ever trusted me again! and folks, I have birdie-itis! Fell in LOVE with a lonely little blue quaker that got separated from his friend at the pet store. I know the general consensus is that I shouldnt have him on my shoulder but he seems to prefer that over hanging on my arm or anywhere else and weve been getting him off by offering the perch and his favorite "friend" in the mirror to go back to the cage. at this moment, he is napping on my neck--aaawwwwwwww:heart:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great update!!!

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
not that it lasted..nothing bad has happened but it was an isolated incident of extreme trust ;) were back to "im gonna bite you" if I try and put my hand near him but its seems a little less intense and im hoping that were still plugging along towards full trust :) Hes still happy to see me at least :)

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
It's always one step forward, one back.
Yes, that does seem to be the case. He happily lets me rescue him. Ive noticed that when the hubby puts his hand up to try, the reaction is still definitely 'No' and if I try he might open in the biting motion but not every time (and no verbal protest anymore) As soon as I put my hand back down he comes right back over. Patience...the word of the month ;) (might end up being the word of the year..but we're rolling with it :) ) thanks everyone for sticking this out with us! :hug8: at least I know he's happier. He has started hanging out on the front perch more and more (instead of hanging in the back) and hes interacting with us every day. His life is better now, no doubt.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
So is this the correct place to keep going with this thread or should I move it to the behavior section? Slowly but surely im getting to know Pearl better but he still hangs out in the cage and is obviously not at a place were I can offer my hand in or near the cage. He did let me put him back in the last time without having to get the "special friend" and he acts like he is bonding with me. When he came out last he was startled and flew out of the cage to me. I put my hand out and he landed on me willingly & when he was on my hand and I didnt keep it perfectly level, he would fuss at my hand but did not bite me. I think all of this shows that he is starting to trust me more..so now the dilemmas are refocusing. Though I know were are heading in the right direction (slowly, eeeever so slowly ;) I need to work on how to entice him to trust being out of the cage. Reaching in and attempting to get him out in any fashion I think would be a mistake...So, I guess thats why I ask. I really appreciate all of the responses and advice you all have given me so far and I have been learning a lot reading through the other forum posts :) AND share two of the cutest recent pics :)

Attachments

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
one more..he flew to the top of my head and hung out there for awhile :) He enjoys traveling around the house with me while I do chores in the evening :heart: I almost forgot.. slow introductions and lots of supervision, we no longer have to lock up the furbabies when Pearl is out so that has made things much more relaxed and harmonious :) My cat pretty much ignores him and my dog doesnt understand why this little creature loves him so much and it has seriously dampened his curiosity (lol) We leave the cage open every night and just let him visit with us on his terms.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great update, it sounds like he is really getting comfortable!
[QUOTE="AmyR, post: 2674516, member: 22760We leave the cage open every night and just let him visit with us on his terms. [/QUOTE]
You just answered your own question, this the best way! He is starting to love being out with you. Just give him treats when he's out, and do things that he enjoys like letting him ride around on your head. He's really cute! Just don't get too trusting of the dog and cat.

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
No, we supervise all interactions. The dog prefers to be in a bed somewhere or snuggled up with someone. The cat is getting old (almost 10) and prefers to bathe & nap so they're easy to keep track of ;) He doesnt come out of the cage very often, yet, but can be coaxed out at times. Tonight it took him 3-5 minutes of begging/yelling for a bite of the puffed corn I was eating (I wouldnt just give it to him in the cage but instead offered it just outside the open door) finally he couldnt stand it and he came out on the door for the snack. When he was done he went back in. It was late so we just called it a night at that point. I think that's my next goal- to make out here with us WAY more fun & interesting than in there alone ;) He still treats his toys like mates?friends?flock? and I find him putting his head down for scritches near a toy. I know he wants the love just doesnt expect it out here. We're getting there :)

AmyR

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amy Rhoderick
First attempt at home made toy for foraging. He didn't understand so I started with this (cut up egg carton) and treats. Now he knows they're in there and loves it so I'm going to start making it a little harder by putting shredded paid in with the treats so he has to dig around a little.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sounds like things are going really well!