• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A New Beginning? Hopeful!! <a bit longish>

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
We are going through a bit of a battle with noise and hormonal attacks from Red, M-Star and Blue, it's a juggle of when to have who out, strict supervision and lots of band aids. Stories like yours always give me that extra boost to keep going. :)

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Thank you, @Merlie - I've got Avicalm in my shopping cart right now! I'm going to start there and see how it goes. :cautious:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a few other things that helped:

Making sure they had TONS of foraging opportunities. Cakes are normally food driven, mine are absolutely no exception, so whether in their cage or out of it, most of their dry food and/or treats they had to "work" for. Pellets, nuts, dry treats put into various foraging toys, or simply wrapped in unbleached coffee filter and paper cups. I even used those little whiffle balls, or wicker balls to put treats into. Baskets on top of their cages/play areas are a huge hit, I put a few treats in the bottom of a basket, then layer with foot toys, wicker balls, shred paper, whatever .. just so they had to "dig" for the goodies.

Always having a bowl for them to bathe in. My Cakes love to splish splash .. and when they're wet, they're more interesting in preening and fixing up their feathers than doing anything naughty.

Good luck!

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Great post! My M2 is certainly not at the level of Ayeko, but there are certain times of year and situations that trigger an attack. Fortunately, it's very sporadic and we've been able to identify most of the triggers (he can't play in the bedroom, because he gets territorial, for example). I have had him fly at me in full attack mode, and I know how horrible it can be. Even if you manage not to 'take it personally', living in constant defensive mode in your own home is just debilitating.

I'd be interested to know more about the herbal tea. My GW is very aggressive towards my husband, and he is also a chronic screamer. I've had him on Avi-calm for about a month now, and it might be helping a little. Hard to say - maybe he is screaming 500 times in the evening instead of 750. :wacky: I've talked about rehoming (either bird or husband ;) ), but if there is an alternative, I'd like to try it. The tea might also help with the M2's seasonal crazies. I don't think it's worth having him on Avi-calm as he is quite sweet for half the year. There are stretches in the fall and spring where having a calming supplement might help us.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's the website for the teas .. you just e-mail Jason and tell him what the situ is, and he'll recommend the proper blend.

Beaks Birdhouse

AviTech also makes a Calming/Relaxation herbal liquid that I really like.

Peek

Checking out the neighborhood
Merlie I tried to message you but for some reason I can't. Can you please message me? I have a couple of questions for you and would just like to talk about my experience with you. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Merlie I tried to message you but for some reason I can't. Can you please message me? I have a couple of questions for you and would just like to talk about my experience with you. :)

You have to have so many posts before you can send a private message. Merlie hasn't been around for a while though

Peek

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you Mizzely. I was hoping to find out if she ever found if the essential oils worked for her.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Start your own thread and ask the forum :)

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I am glad you found solutions that worked for you and your bird that allowed you to stay together...Good job!

Shyld

Meeting neighbors
That storie makes me a bit afraid to get a caique. I am very stuborn and I know how not to take things personnaly, but god if they tried to launch at me like that I dont know what I'd do... Well, I kinda know, but still... Did you go to a vet for it?