• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A New Beginning? Hopeful!! <a bit longish>

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Wow, what a story. I applaud you for sticking with it, finding a (sort of) solution to make everybody's life safer and a bit easier. You go girl!

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra

Yes, I also follow Coco's blog, and I trust her research 100%, if Coco is using it .. lol .. given her high standards for safely and quality, then I feel good about using it too.

Yes, the right EOs are a little on the pricey side, but if they do what they're supposed to, it would be completely worth it. I'm just waiting until I take the seminar to learn a bit more, but I know I'll soon be diffusing with EOs. If it has the positive effects that I've read about, not only might I not need to dose Ayeko with anything, I think my entire flock will benefit from diffusing as well.
Please, keep us updated on what you have learned about diffusing and how to use it. :)

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Wow Merlie you are a brave brave woman!
I'm very lucky Douglas hasn't gotten TOO crazy... but who knows what will happen in a couple years!

But I totally understand your feeling of "failure" that they don't get along with other birds, I get so upset about it every day!

But you did great stuff for your little beastie boy, and I'm so glad to hear it's working!
I am interested in this tea also, i'm going to PM you :)

PS: I also ended up clipping Douglas through his last bout of crazy since he was trying to kill Kyoko. It sucks, but i totally understand where you are coming from!

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I responded to anyone asking for the tea info, but if I missed you, let me know!!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

In this instance you are 1000% correct! I feel absolutely ZERO guilt about using supplements to make everything a happier existence!
Well, you know where I stand!:) Now to find a pharmacy that will fill my script with the name brand for my tooth rather than the generic...people can be so cheap sometimes!:)

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Very very good read...honestly your persistance is inspiring :hug8: I definately learnt alot from reading this, Percy's been pretty bad, not as bad as your experience ,but trying some calming pharmacuticals won't hurt him :) I hope that other people will try alternative treatments to counter-act aggression, it's a hard thing to get around, but it just goes to show that *love* really is a strong initiative:heart:
You go girl!:highfive:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, you know where I stand!:) Now to find a pharmacy that will fill my script with the name brand for my tooth rather than the generic...people can be so cheap sometimes!:)
You talkin crap bout me again!!!:mad::mad::mad:

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
I just read this....am going to get some Avi Calm for Rosco and see if this improves his mood even more!

We also have to keep him clipped - he really turns when he knows he can fly - it's easier to get away from a running Caique than a flying one. It's for all our own safety and wellness. It makes me sad that he can't be allowed to fly, but he does so much better when "grounded" - our other boys are fully flighted, but they also don't have the Jekyll/Hyde issues Rosco does.

Thank you for your story! It's nice to know we're not alone in our adventure :)

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I just read this....am going to get some Avi Calm for Rosco and see if this improves his mood even more!

We also have to keep him clipped - he really turns when he knows he can fly - it's easier to get away from a running Caique than a flying one. It's for all our own safety and wellness. It makes me sad that he can't be allowed to fly, but he does so much better when "grounded" - our other boys are fully flighted, but they also don't have the Jekyll/Hyde issues Rosco does.

Thank you for your story! It's nice to know we're not alone in our adventure :)
Yes, it really bothers me that I have to keep Ayeko clipped .. for now anyway. When his flights grow out, I'll see where we are at in our journey together. Hoping that I'll be able to give him his flight back at some point.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
The worst and most frightening attacks I have ever endured from parrots have been from BHC's. I do not wish to over-generalize, but when a BHC attacks, they do not just bite but actually grind their beak and in one case, I had a mature male who hopped, bit, ground and twisted his beak all the way up my arm before I could get him off of me. While it seemed to me at the time that the attack came out of nowhere, I knew that something must have triggered the attack. And it is not just a gender-based behavior....I had a female BHC who was equally as vicious in her attacks.

Merlie, how are things going now? Any updates on the tea and avicalm effects?

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Wow, Merlie - that's a lot to go through and put up with but glad to hear he is calming down a bit. I've never owned a Caique even though I've thought they were cute little active birds and have known their attitudes are larger than Macaw attitudes in such a little body!! I know I'd be deathly afraid of my own bird if I was getting that type of attacks, it sometimes does not take much to become fearful of a bird and especially if they are flighted because then they have the upper hand if they are on the loose. Anyway, glad the Avi-Calm is helping ... anything is worth a try!

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
The worst and most frightening attacks I have ever endured from parrots have been from BHC's. I do not wish to over-generalize, but when a BHC attacks, they do not just bite but actually grind their beak and in one case, I had a mature male who hopped, bit, ground and twisted his beak all the way up my arm before I could get him off of me. While it seemed to me at the time that the attack came out of nowhere, I knew that something must have triggered the attack. And it is not just a gender-based behavior....I had a female BHC who was equally as vicious in her attacks.

I know someone who had a BHC that bit her, and dug his beak through her skin. She had to cut her skin open to get his beak out because he would NOT let go... YIKES!
:omg:

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award

Things are going very, very well <knock on wood>!!

I've actually started decreasing the Avicalm and tea over the past few weeks .. to see how Ayeko did without them. So far .. I've gone almost 8 weeks with no crazy attacks or bites. He's been so, so good!! :heart:

Of course he's still a crazy Cake .. and does have his moments, but these are things that to me are just part of normal Cakey-ness .. like not wanting to be removed from something he's deemed as HIS .. and getting OCD about it.

Who knows, maybe the "drugs" helped, maybe they didn't and he just had to come out of it on his own. All I know is I've not needed a bandaid for very long time!! :lol:

tpoduje

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Todd
Post of the year, thanks for sharing, I had many a laugh thanks to your writing and am glad to hear things are evening out with the "CAKES"