• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A New Beginning? Hopeful!! <a bit longish>

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D Perhaps according to the Caiques, Merlie has just gotten alot better.:hug8:
Hmm .. I don't know that I've gotten better .. lol ... I think they just had one heck of first hormonal type season or something.

Ayeko did get me pretty good earlier this week .. after almost 6 mos. of very good behavior. Don't know why, nothing unusual about what was going on, and his body language was all good. His switch just "flipped" for some reason and he jumped from his cage to my head, gave me a good bite to the side of my face. I've replayed everything 1000 times, trying to figure out what triggered it and nothing comes to mind. Oh well .. since then, he's been perfectly fine. However, I get to go to TASC with a pretty good mark on my face where he got me. Sigh .. had to be the face .. just when I'm going to be meeting lots of people. :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Don't worry Merlie. Your going to a birdie thing! People will think your a true bird person to put up with biting to the face! They will look up to you and remember "That Woman!" Who could take a bite to the face and not be spazzed about it. So when they get home back to their feathered buttheads, they'll remember YOU and you will help them overcome the impossible and get'er done!

:hug8:

I like hearing great news. So besides the recent bite, sounds like everything is going well. Anything you would have liked to change or try different? Anything you can share with us?:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Hmm .. I don't know that I've gotten better .. lol ... I think they just had one heck of first hormonal type season or something.

Ayeko did get me pretty good earlier this week .. after almost 6 mos. of very good behavior. Don't know why, nothing unusual about what was going on, and his body language was all good. His switch just "flipped" for some reason and he jumped from his cage to my head, gave me a good bite to the side of my face. I've replayed everything 1000 times, trying to figure out what triggered it and nothing comes to mind. Oh well .. since then, he's been perfectly fine. However, I get to go to TASC with a pretty good mark on my face where he got me. Sigh .. had to be the face .. just when I'm going to be meeting lots of people. :(

:eek: Yikes! Sorry about the face!:hug8:

What do you think about this?:huh:

Ah what the heck! How about this one?:D

birdbrain9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
What a story! I thought you'd been in my home. I have a YNA I got from George who has been launching himself at me for about a week now. Skipper will tear my face off if I let him get close enough. Its gotten to the point where I approach him with a "shield" to protect myself. I will definitely try avicalm and already use Jason's tea. Because like you said, where else is there for Skipper to go? He acts out so viciously I cannot let anyone near him. Thanks for sharing your story. Maybe there's hope for Skipper yet.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't worry Merlie. Your going to a birdie thing! People will think your a true bird person to put up with biting to the face! They will look up to you and remember "That Woman!" Who could take a bite to the face and not be spazzed about it. So when they get home back to their feathered buttheads, they'll remember YOU and you will help them overcome the impossible and get'er done!

:hug8:

I like hearing great news. So besides the recent bite, sounds like everything is going well. Anything you would have liked to change or try different? Anything you can share with us?:)
Quite honesty Mercedez, knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have added Caiques to my flock. I thought I had done my research, but .. nothing really prepares you. As an example .. a rescue that is local to me had only 2 Caiques surrendered in their first 8 years of operation .. 2 in 8 years!! Then, in 2012 .. they had either 5 or 6 surrendered .. in JUST ONE YEAR!! That says to me that unfortunately, Caiques gained a lot of popularity in the last few years, and people found out what I did, only couldn't deal.

:eek: Yikes! Sorry about the face!:hug8:

What do you think about this?:huh:

Ah what the heck! How about this one?:D

Haha!! I think if I tried walking around with something like that on my head, my entire flock would freak out! Besides, the Cakes get furious if they even see me with a bluetooth in my ear, if I were to wear that, I know I'd be in for it .. they may not be able to get my face, put I'd need full body armor to protect the rest of my body!!

What a story! I thought you'd been in my home. I have a YNA I got from George who has been launching himself at me for about a week now. Skipper will tear my face off if I let him get close enough. Its gotten to the point where I approach him with a "shield" to protect myself. I will definitely try avicalm and already use Jason's tea. Because like you said, where else is there for Skipper to go? He acts out so viciously I cannot let anyone near him. Thanks for sharing your story. Maybe there's hope for Skipper yet.
There is always "hope" .. just be careful!! Big difference between a Caique and a YNA!! Wowza!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well I'm glad you're not giving up on your caiques. I hear caiques have poi attitudes when they come to sexual maturity.

I can honestly say, I've never had a facial bite. And I hope I don't. But I'm sure its coming one day. I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't have any birds who do arial attacks at me. Gosh, that would be scary!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Well I'm glad you're not giving up on your caiques. I hear caiques have poi attitudes when they come to sexual maturity.

I can honestly say, I've never had a facial bite. And I hope I don't. But I'm sure its coming one day. I'm not sure what I'll do. I don't have any birds who do arial attacks at me. Gosh, that would be scary!
I can say with about 95% certainty, that I will never "give up" on the Caiques, <can't truly say 100% "never">. We've come this far. They are .. to be quite honest .. my biggest concern should something happen to me, as I truly don't know anyone who would offer them a home. It would have to be one he11 of dedicated, patient, tolerant, "gluten for punishment", type bird person.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is it the boy who's the brat and convinces the girl to join in? Do you think its hormonal related? Would a lupron shot help aggression?

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, Ayeko, the male, is the instigator. If he gets going, Enki will follow.

I hate throwing all behavioral issues into the "hormone" basket .. but I do believe hormones did/does play a big part of their aggression.

If I were still having the serious issues I was, a Lupron shot would definitely be considered. Right now <knocking on wood big time>, things have leveled out. They still have their moments, and/or days that they go off the rails, but it's no where near as frequent or as severe as it was.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do you think it was cage related? Seeing their cage as a nest and then seeing you and going nuts? Moby one of my toos is psycho like that:) (I say that affectionately. But its #1 reason he bites me. Sees the other birds cages, sees the other birds in those cages, and as he's displaying I'm stupid enough to get my finger in his beak).

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you think it was cage related? Seeing their cage as a nest and then seeing you and going nuts? Moby one of my toos is psycho like that:) (I say that affectionately. But its #1 reason he bites me. Sees the other birds cages, sees the other birds in those cages, and as he's displaying I'm stupid enough to get my finger in his beak).
No, I don't believe it had anything to do with their cage, as their behaviors were primarily happening out of, and away from .. their cage.

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
I do concur that it *does* get better and the chase attacks do lessen over the years. Patience and understanding of when the behaviour is going to be taken out on one is definitely required with Cakes :)

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I'm so happy someone shared this link in another thread... as I read, I thought "Thank God it's not just ME!!" I have always loved Caiques and when the opportunity arose to adopt one I went for it and came home with a bird that has decided she HATES ME. I've experiences much of the same behavior as Ayeko displayed - like a little feathered sociopath! Kaya lunges at me from inside her cage, will launch herself at me from playstands if I get close enough, has been vicious. I've tried clicker training and she just wants to kill the target then kill me for trying. She's bitten me when I've tried giving treats for no apparent reason, etc, etc... my husband can handle her some. She'll step up for him but as soon as she gets the Crazy Eye, he has to return her to a perch because she's viciously attacked him before, too. I'll be honest - I'm terrified of her and I'm sure she knows it, regardless of how confident I try to act.

She has an unknown history other than her band reads "99" so as far as I can decipher is likely around 15 years old. She has an import band as well. I've had no luck tracing anything. She has been in at least 2 rescues and is thought to have possibly come from a breeder originally. I don't even know if she is a she! She's not laid an egg in 4 years of her known history (almost a year with us now) so it's possible she's a he. LOL I don't really care unless it changes how I might improve things for her. Avicalm is 1st on my list... as soon as I can get my hands on some I will start her on that.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you, Merlie, for telling your story! I don't feel so alone now... I've read lots of crazy Caique stories but most people seem to be able to at least handle their bird. I don't dare unless I WANT to lose flesh. Most of all, I want her to be HAPPY and feel like I've seriously failed her. I can live with not being able to hold her as long as she is content but if the aggression and shrieking like a banshee (I'm talking pissed of screeching) is any indication, there is a lot to be figured out before we get to a happy point!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
@EkkieLuv

If you have any questions, or needed additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM. I always willing to help out a fellow Caique owner!!

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
I was at the pet store the other day getting dog food and there was a young caique. Honestly, I was just looking at him through the glass and the employee came up to me and asked if I was interested in him. I laughed and said nope, I know better with these guys. A few minutes later a mother and daughter asked to hold him. Of course he was in sweet baby mode. The employee told them that caiques stay sweet....I tried to wait around to talk to them but that didn't work out. They did end up buying him though.

I feel like I need business cards with Avian Avenue on it!! If only others could see this thread and be informed.

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Loved reading this Merlie. You have patience beyond a saint with your little monster!!!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Loved reading this Merlie. You have patience beyond a saint with your little monster!!!

Hah, not really! However, I made a commitment to them, thru thick and thin, good times, bad times .. etc., like a marriage. They are my much loved little monsters! :heart:

In their defense, they're so, so much better now. :dance4: