• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(3/2 Update #91) Excessive regurgitation, AKA throwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Go Gimli, you can do it. :dance4:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh good, let's countdown the nystatin days together, what are you at?
I'm continuing until it's gone! Since so much hasn't made it inside him, and the amount I was given isn't that much, I'm finishing it.

He still battles every drop....but at least I'm getting them in his beak now.

How do those who medicate alot do it? Birds are not like dogs (which I'm well versed in medicating) one bit.

Yesterday, only one tiny little bit of vomit. Hooray!!!
Today....:( It looks like everything he ate, is on the papers.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Did he get less medicine last nite? Did he eat anything high in sugar? I think sugar really feeds yeast,if thats the problem. I had yeast in my digestive tract & I couldnt eat broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc. Does he bite when you medicate? Merlins the devil when we have to, sometimes I cheat & put it on a piece of toast w/jelly. Probably wouldnt be good for yeast, how about putting it in yougart? Does he like it? Hoping thats all it is, yeast is very persistant & hard to get rid of. Hoping he'll continue to improve.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
unfortunately nystatin needs to be given on an empty crop. Any food or water will make it less likely to work. :( Echo and Bink give me a terrible time with meds. :mad: Binky I have to give her something to bite on so I can get behind it. She snaps the syringes and that is scary. They make a bird syringe that is indestructible but I have yet to get one. You just suffer through like the rest of us. At least it is one bird. It won't make you feel better but I did 5 macaws, 2 u2's & 2 DBY 3 times a day for 14 days. That was awful! Could not imagine being a large breeder after that.

Poor Gimli, he just has to get through this. :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
5 Macs?! I'm trembling thinking of ever having to do mine! lol

Gimli is a little gentleman. Wiggles, beaks, but never once has he bit down. He's got a sweet soul.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good to see Gimli is getting better and is easy to medicate. Nystatin only works on contact and like Sarah said use it on an empty crop and do not dilute. Has your avian vet checked to see if this fungal infection is systemic?

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwww, Gimli, take your meds sweetie and prayers that you get totally well. :heart:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Just a small update, not too many changes. No wonderful news, no horrible news.

I do think though my Avian Vet is giving up. :( All tests come back negative. Healthy heart (except for arrhythmia), kidneys, liver. No yeast infections, we still did a treatment round though, just in case. The bacteria infections have been treated and cleared. Nothing showing up on xrays. White and Red blood cell test came back good, nothing stood out.

My vet is still leaning towards tumor blocking crop to stomach. He has told me any other tests he can perform are astromically priced, and in his eyes a waste of money as Gimli is showing no other signs. He believes it's an age related problem. Gimli is approaching 35 years or so.

We haven't done some of the disease tests, such as beak and feather or PDD, as Gimli is showing no signs of any other problems. Just the vomiting. That's his only sick sign, and of course the ensuing weight loss. We have done many of the more common ones such as aspergillus, psittacosis, and I'm not even sure of what else. I am thinking a PDD test is next on the list. After that I don't know what to do.

The vet just gave me a prescription for carafate, which is an ulcer medicine. It coats and soothes, so hopefully it'll help with the vomiting. He's also on probiotics and I'm feeding (or trying to) a diet that he can digest quickly, and keep down.

He's been on antibiotics for over a month now. I just finished the last course.

Guess I need to find out if any other vets in my area have any ideas.

This has been so hard and disheartening for me. Such a wonderful old guy, and I can tell he's bonded and feeling secure here in my home. Having him lie his head in my hands lately, is just breaking my heart.

Last edited:

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Hang in there Becky. I cant imagine how hard this must be. I've loved Gimli since you got him, such a sad little guy. He's happy now & w/the one he loves. He knows you'll help him if you can. :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I agree that you are running out of options. Do the ABV (PDD) test to put your mind at ease and if you ask any other vets or see any other vets that is the first thing they will want. I wonder if you could consult with Dr. Speer. He does phone consultations.

:heart::heart::heart: :hug8::heart::heart::heart:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It's a great idea about a phone consult, but I imagine they cost money. Every spare dollar I have is going right to vets/meds. I do have another vet in mind. I'm going to give this new med a week or so to work (he's on it for 10 days), then decide from there what to do.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Here's a few shots I took today. He was feeling good enough to want out. :)

He's wanting to fly to me (which he's done before).

Sitting pretty, but you can see the droopy wings and fluffed up feathers.

This one I have a question about. His feathers on his legs and lower tummy are turning brown. Can it just be from not bathing? Perhaps not enough nutrition? Any ideas?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He is beautiful!!!! Wow, he does not look thin, what is his weight? Love him!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He was 285 first weigh in, last weigh in he was 260 grams. That was about 2 (maybe 3) weeks apart.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow, are they smaller than DBY? He looks a lot bigger than Echo or Binky to me and they weigh 460ish grams.

Status
Not open for further replies.