• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(3/2 Update #91) Excessive regurgitation, AKA throwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Was the vet concerned about him not keeping any food down? How are his poops, is he getting any nutrition?

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
Glad to hear you know what's going on now. I'll keep you guys in my prayers for a quick recovery

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I did ask the vet about Baytril (seems everyone uses it), and he wasn't too keen on it for Gimli's problems. He's a respected avian vet, so I'll take his advice. :)

I did order some of the Boost, and I'm wondering if it really does everything it says it does, whether I should put all of my birds on it for a bit?

Good News!!! Baytril does not work on everything so listen to the vet. He was regurgitating before the doxy so chances are it needs to run it's course. There is an injectable doxy that is given once a week, not sure about switching in the middle of treatment but you could ask. As said earlier your boost looks like red palm oil. You could give it to the rest of your flock if you would like. I might also ask the vet about a probiotic.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Come on Becky. Hows Gimli :knockknock:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
He's about the same. His throwing up has slowed down some though. He's still not playing like normal, but he is drinking and eating well.

The vet says he wants two weeks on this antibiotic, and then he'll decided whether to change to another med.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
You are doing a great job!

Please keep a close watch as antibiotics should show they are working in 72 hours in most cases. If he does not start to get better or gets worse, call your vet right away. Is your vet waiting on culture and sensitivity testing before changing medications?

Please keep your bird warm and hydrated, do not give fluids when vomiting.

Last edited:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I sure hope all the meds are working. Is he better?

azcowgirl

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
kathy
sorry to hear about ur little one, i hope he is doing much better, we are taking our conure to the vet today he threw up once yesterday and just isnt his normal playful self

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates on dear Gimli ?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've really had no changes in him that were big enough to post about.

Gimli's feeling a lot better (the bacteria's are cleared up?), but his throwing up is still ongoing. We're starting a new antibiotic, and I've the Nystatin to finish. If he shows no improvements with these (or goes downhill) it'll be xray time. Tunors may be what's causing the throwing up, or at least that's what the Vet will be looking for.

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Fingers crossed that the x-rays show only good things. Now listen Gimli, you have to get better, mommy is very worried about you. Plus, its not a nice feeling being sick. So hurry up and get well - pleeeeeeeease.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm glad to hear Gimli is improving but hope you find out soon what is causing him to still throw up. :hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I continue to have Gimli in my prayers. Poor little guy. Hopefully by now he has a routine for taking the meds and is not giving you a hard time.

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Poor Gimli. I fostered a sun conure from a rescue who developed a yeast infection and was throwing up as well. It took the full course of nystatin before she finally stopped vomiting. She didnt stop vomiting until the last dose. I hope Gimli also has a yeast infection.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Poor Gimli. I fostered a sun conure from a rescue who developed a yeast infection and was throwing up as well. It took the full course of nystatin before she finally stopped vomiting. She didnt stop vomiting until the last dose. I hope Gimli also has a yeast infection.
I'm beginning to think it may be this. I'm starting to get more nystatin down him, than on him. It also seems Gimli vomits less after a successful dosage. At first he'd fight me, and I'm afraid most of the meds ran down his feathers. :(

Now that I'm getting better at medicating, he's vomiting less.

Praying, praying.....please let the nystatin do the trick!

topazldy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Linda
[
I'm beginning to think it may be this. I'm starting to get more nystatin down him, than on him. It also seems Gimli vomits less after a successful dosage. At first he'd fight me, and I'm afraid most of the meds ran down his feathers. :(

Now that I'm getting better at medicating, he's vomiting less.

Praying, praying.....please let the nystatin do the trick!
That's a good sign!!! Keep that watchful eye looking for the slightest change.

Status
Not open for further replies.