• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

100 days

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yea, I use the kitchen scales.... They all weigh stuff :wacky:
I do have a mini one that will weigh to the 0.1 but I don´t use that for my adult birds, no need, I just used it for the chicks :)

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Yea, I use the kitchen scales.... They all weigh stuff :wacky:
I do have a mini one that will weigh to the 0.1 but I don´t use that for my adult birds, no need, I just used it for the chicks :)
I just ordered one! I kept seeing those ones with the perch that are like $60.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I kept seeing those ones with the perch that are like $60.

:eek: !!!!! Maybe I should buy some scales stick branches on them and double my money......:angelic::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Pretty much! Ridiculous!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just ordered one! I kept seeing those ones with the perch that are like $60.
I use my kitchen scale for my Buddy (Zon). I took paper tape & made a tic tac toe board over the top. Light enough to not affect the scale & keeps Buddy from slipping off. Then I just convert the Oz - Gr. I'm not sure w/ a smaller bird if this would still be accurate w/ conversion tho. I agree those perch ones are way to pricey for what they are. Based on the one my vet uses, my kitchen scales the same thing minus the super or glue gun dowel perch.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about your Grandma :(

Lovebirds can start trying food at about 5-6 weeks old, they are usually weaned by 7-8

Some people do it by the book and force it, especially breeders that sell weaned birds.
But I am a firm believer in that the bird will wean when ready - and I think I lead by example.

Adelies siblings weaned at around 7 weeks old, in the first few days of Feb.
I agree w/ not forcing things. I really hope she'll wean soon, so you can go to see your G'Pa. When we got Buddy I went really slow & tried to do as much as I could to instill trust, & safety. I'd never expected that Buddy would've been stuck alone in the room w/ my Dad for so many days after my Dad passed. Knowing what I know now about birds, I'm amazed the stress didn't kill Buddy. Thank Goodness for the mailman & the neighbors that called in the safety check to the police. It was the end of winter, & here it's common to not really see your neighbors @ that time of year. The mailman noticed Dad wasn't taking packages indoors & asked the neighbors to call 911.

I'm so glad Buddy was OK. I think he's flurishing, because he trusts me so. I think him seeing that (initially) I was scared to death of him & that I trusted him back... Helped a bit too!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just ticked over into 129 days of handfeeding...

Adelies gained about 3 grams.
Night feed before food: 46g
After food: 56g

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That baby refuses to grow up !

My little sister was like this. This was back in the 90's. She didn't want to learn to walk. She would rip her arms away and shout, "I'm the baby." My mother was told by the doctor to stop enabling her. She was 3 and would rather have my brother and I bring her things. I am sure she is embarrassed about this now, but she just loved being served and treated. She sorta still does :wacky::p

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

My little sister was like this. This was back in the 90's. She didn't want to learn to walk. She would rip her arms away and shout, "I'm the baby." My mother was told by the doctor to stop enabling her. She was 3 and would rather have my brother and I bring her things. I am sure she is embarrassed about this now, but she just loved being served and treated. She sorta still does :wacky::p

Who doesn't like to be a prince/princess?

:king::twirl::andor:

Adelie, just doesn't want Mommy to be gone for a single solitary second! :fairy2:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
She is so precious!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Adelie looks exactly like my Andromeda did when she was a baby!
Yes, She looks more alike to Andromeda than to her marbled brother Nube - he shines like a turqouise/aqua colour, like his dad.
Adelie is the only chick I kept from the clutch, she shines violet, like blueberry:) She has just started her moult, I found 2 rump feathers yesterday :D
I know you liked my family photos, you might like this: Pictures - My birds cloned their family! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
(2 days after I posted this we confirmed that we were to keep Adelie).

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ok, so it´s now day 138.

There has been progress!

I noticed yesterday and the day before, Adelie was eating less in the morning. This morning she ate very little. I think soon we will be dropping the morning feed!!!! Maybe even as soon as the weekend she will be down to just one feed.

She still eats well at night :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just into day 147...

We are down to one feed. We have been only doing one feed for about 5-6 days...

Already Adelie is not wanting much food at night. She ate just 1.5 ml tonight!

Maybe just a couple more days! :fingerscrossed:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
She is soooo beautiful!

Hehe my youngest daughter was like this! She is STILL a princess!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adelie is growing up. It's great that you continued to feed her. One of my red-bellied parrots wanted to be hand-fed way beyond the number of days that his siblings from his clutch and other clutches would take hand-feedings. I just kept offering, like you have done, until he decided that he didn't want the formula any more.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Yay she is growing into a big bird now haha. I am sure she will be fully weaned soon! Good for you that you have been hand feeding her for so long and not just force weaning her. What a good Lovebird mom :fairy:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You're really close to day 150! I'm glad she's finally down to 1. She must really be enjoying the new flavors she's getting in the non-formula items!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
. It's great that you continued to feed her.
Good for you that you have been hand feeding her for so long and not just force weaning her

Yes, I didn´t take the vets advice to just cut her off, because I already knew she was going to lose the morning feed soon anyway. And now she´s losing interest fast in the night feed.
It seemed pointless to cut her off if she was eating less anyway :)

She is quite the bird. Beautiful and strong ❤