• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I can feel it coming....

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Andre just goes through pissy moods but I have never seen full out hormonal behavior. He still surprises me with words or phrases and I have had him since he was 4 months old.

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
Hate to say it, but I'm glad I have a young female Pi...:shocked6:

Really though, good luck.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Hate to say it, but I'm glad I have a young female Pi...:shocked6:

Really though, good luck.

Females may be less aggressive but that hormonal mating call.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Suzanne, your MM2's are GORGEOUS!!!!! I use cardboard box therapy with my African Grey too - she will shred it up and make a nest and then abandon it. It seems to bring the hormonal cycle to an end, and everything is fine for another year. I know a lot of people discourage any type of hormonal or nesting behavior in their birds, but I find that it really helps Tonka to go through the entire cycle naturally.

Dawn, I think Hardy really enjoys being a hormonal curmudgeon, esp when my daughter tries to do anything with his food or cage papers. He terrifies her, then laughs like a fiend. I must admit that I grudgingly respect that kind of authority! Hahahahaha!!! But you are well aware of the terror of the hormonal pionus. :)
My thoughts exactly, thanks for the clarification. Putting my thoughts into messages is not my Forte ! :highfive:

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
Females may be less aggressive but that hormonal mating call.

Oh? Oh boy. Well, Maya isn't even five months old yet, I might have a little longer to go...but I've dealt with a quaker's, so I'm up to it. :cool:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Watch it as some house plants are poisonous as I am sure you know. But overall Dobby''s hormones sound pretty good so far. Chewing is lesser of other evils. Hope it doesn't get worse. Nice to hear your new adventures with Dobby.
As far as we know nothing we have is directly poisonous except maybe the poinsettias and the latest data on those after critters were fed ground up leaves is they might get a stomach ache. He tries everything so we try to keep an eye on him and I keep the bathroom door closed and we have covered all the laundry soap with a large cloth Costco bag so he can't get at them.
He actually decided I was allowed to scritch his head yesterday when I let him out and brought him in here to hang out with daddy which was nice. Of course the minute sister got home he had to get to his love but he was happy hanging out and getting a occasional head and neck rub:highfive:
Sometimes when I let him out he'll demand I reach in so he can jump on my hand and run up to my shoulder then fly away or jump onto his play top. Many times if he decides to stay he's so happy he whistles, makes noises, and talks to me.:dance4:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Andre just goes through pissy moods but I have never seen full out hormonal behavior. He still surprises me with words or phrases and I have had him since he was 4 months old.
Still new words! Encouraging to hear!

Last edited:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry the hormones hit so hard and mean at your house :(

I feel very fortunate that Leto doesn't do this, but maybe that's because he's an only bird or close to 10 yrs old. He sure likes to beat the snot out of a few of his toys and loves to chew (but that's all yr).

Good luck this spring :goodluck:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Andre goes through slight surges about every 3-4 months. But nothing major. We do keep the birds light cycle at a consistent 12-13 hours of darkness and the temperature stays between 68-72 and because we have hot water boiler heat the humidity stays fairly constant. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I am not going to change it to find out though.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And how is Kobe acting these days @Fuzzy still the same aggression every spring?
Have you find a solution perhaps? :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tell us the story. What were you doing? Time of day? Cage related?
Ok hmmm. Cage related = YES. I was standing near his cage giving him scritches. Hubby was gone...so... must've been 11 a.m. I stopped for a moment and he sidled down to the end of the perch, which usually means "pick me up." I held my arm down for a step-up and he shuffled his feet around then BIT DOWN AND did the grind thing. Bait and switch! Dang it.

I turned my back on him and stood there while, you know, the pain floods you. Then I turned back around and said that wasn't nice. He just gave me an innocent look.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch would kinda do that at first, look like he really wanted to get on my arm then just pop the crap outa me because he really wasn't comfortable with doing that yet. He was also very cage aggressive so when he was in the old small 19x19 cage he'd always try to get me if I got near or reached in. When I got the new much bigger cage that seemed to solve it as it wasn't his yet plus I could change out food and water without reaching inside though he was never quite as protective of it as his old small cage. Maybe having so much more room made him feel safe to not have to attack me as he could stay farther away and watch.
Nerd was very cage aggressive too but only I was allowed to grudgingly be allowed to reach inside. Dobby Only does it when he's put to bed at night as he'd rather stay out so he'll snap at me through the bars a bit right after he goes in, but he wont try to get me when I put him inside.
Lurch got me in the back a few times when I forgot to watch where he was while doing things around his house.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Tiki had been spending most of her out time under the couch snuffling for a few days until I brought the baby gate down. She was frantic trying to get through so I figured I'd better check for eggs under there but luckily nothing. She hasn't laid any since I've had her (4.5 years) and I'd like to keep it that way. She did before I got her.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok hmmm. Cage related = YES. I was standing near his cage giving him scritches. Hubby was gone...so... must've been 11 a.m. I stopped for a moment and he sidled down to the end of the perch, which usually means "pick me up." I held my arm down for a step-up and he shuffled his feet around then BIT DOWN AND did the grind thing. Bait and switch! Dang it.

I turned my back on him and stood there while, you know, the pain floods you. Then I turned back around and said that wasn't nice. He just gave me an innocent look.
Oh man o_O Were the feathers on his head proofed out or his tail splayed at all before he bit you? For me this is when I know to give Leto a big birth and not touch him for a bit.

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I let Hardy decide how and when he wants to be handled. Because of his missing foot, he can't really step up and perch like a normal parrot. He has to step into the flat of my palm. So, I say "Hardy wanna come out?" and lay my hand flat on the bottom of his cage, approx. one foot away from him. If he is interested, he'll say "Hardy come out!" and will rush over and jump into my palm.

If he says nothing, and won't approach my hand, I leave him alone. I've learned that if he is happy and excited to come out, he'll rush right over on the first request. And I never get bit when he wants to come out. If I keep asking, he gets annoyed and will rush over and bite - but his body language is obvious (fanned tail, dropped wing, crazy eyes).

Sometimes he will not want to come out of his cage for two or three weeks. I respect his decision and leave him alone. Now, he's not really "alone". Our tv is in the bird room, so he sees us sitting and watching tv every night, and the other birds are there too. He just stays in his home, and growls at us through the side of the cage. I have found that, when he's hormonal, he will often be willing to come out first thing in the morning. But by sunset, forget it. He's NOT a night owl. He's happy to just sit on his piece of driftwood and watch us.