• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

will my parakeet hate me if i do this

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
i have 2 male budgies and a want to put them in flight suits (diapers) but im scared i will lose their trust. WHAT DO I DO???????????????

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
i have 2 male budgies and a want to put them in flight suits (diapers) but im scared i will lose their trust. WHAT DO I DO???????????????
You probably want to post this in Budgie Boulevard :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Alyssa :)

I have moved this thread for you for better visibility

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I wouldnt trust harnesses/flight suits on birds as tiny as budgies. I would just use a travel cage when going outside.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
From what I've seen, bird don't really like to wear anything. Of course there are some special cases, but overall it isn't usually the best idea.

Have you looked into potty training birds? :) It's typically pretty simple once you've covered the basics.

Hope this helps, Adriana R. :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two male budgies, and I just don't leave things uncovered that I don't want to be pooped on. Budgie poop is tiny, and it comes out easily in the washing machine. Perhaps throw old sheets over things you want to keep clean while they are out? I have a towel I throw over my work computer if the boys are out. The floor and other surfaces clean easily with a little vinegar and water or Natures Miracle or other bird safe cleaner.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
From what I've seen, bird don't really like to wear anything. Of course there are some special cases, but overall it isn't usually the best idea.

Have you looked into potty training birds? :) It's typically pretty simple once you've covered the basics.

Hope this helps, Adriana R. :)
how do i potty train them , i have had them 1 month and i still cant tell if they like me or are tamed , im a first time bird owner and im a minor

Last edited by a moderator:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Toilet training is unsafe for birds. Birds aren't designed to hold their waste like dogs or humans - they're designed to poo frequently. Bird anatomy is all about reducing weight - hollow bones with struts, air sacs, and an effective digestive system. Carrying digesting food or waste around with them is just added weight. If you watch carefully, birds often poo before launching into flight. Even less than a gram makes a difference. As such, birds produce small but frequent droppings.

Toilet training them can have unintended consequences, such as the bird holding waste in longer than is healthy or being reluctant to relieve themselves without a cue.

They're budgies so it's not like you're dealing with a huge mess. Get some paper towels and either Poop-Off or some diluted washing up liquid. If you clean up promptly, you won't have a problem.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
how do i potty train them , i have had them 1 month and i still cant tell if they like me or are tamed , im a first time bird owner and im a minor
So, there are a few steps, I'm going to try and say them as simply as I can, hahaha.

1. Know when your birds are going to poop. At first, it will be helpful to take your birds over to where you want them to poop as often as you think they'll have to go. Budgies poop every 5-10 minutes. So, monitor your bird and see when they poop. So, the next time your bird will poop, take them over to the designated "Poop Spot".

2. Whenever you take your bird over to the designated poop spot and they actually do poop, give them a treat. All birds like different treats, so maybe do a taste test for your bird. ALSO, if you are feeding your bird an all-seed diet, the value for treats will go down. I recommend to anyone feeding their birds an all-seed diet to look into Tops or Harrison's pellets. Make sure to also feed your birds chop! (Cooked whole grains with a variety of vegetables)

3. After doing this for a while, your bird will start to understand this is where they should poop.

That's pretty much how you train them!

If they are not tamed, well then that's a whole other story. I think the easiest training to start with is target training. It will also help you bond with your birds. For target training, it's also super simple:

1. Buy a target training stick and clicker online (Leathers4feathers, Birdtricks, etc.)

2. Birds are naturally curious and will usually use their beak to explore things.

3. Put the stick next to the bird, and if they touch the stick with their beak, press the clicker and give them a treat.

So that's training in a nutshell!

Hope this helps, Adriana R.

Last edited by a moderator:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here are some ideas for how to make friends with your budgies: Some things to do with a new bird....

There is a LOT of stuff in the Training Court section of the forum: The Training Court
Why don't you have a read and make a note of any ideas or tips that you think will work for your birds. Remember to go slow and be patient.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, there are a few steps, I'm going to try and say them as simply as I can, hahaha.

1. Know when your birds are going to poop. At first, it will be helpful to take your birds over to where you want them to poop as often as you think they'll have to go. Budgies poop every 5-10 minutes. So, monitor your bird and see when they poop. So, the next time your bird will poop, take them over to the designated "Poop Spot".

2. Whenever you take your bird over to the designated poop spot and they actually do poop, give them a treat. All birds like different treats, so maybe do a taste test for your bird. ALSO, if you are feeding your bird an all-seed diet, the value for treats will go down. I recommend to anyone feeding their birds an all-seed diet to look into Tops or Harrison's pellets. Make sure to also feed your birds chop! (Cooked whole grains with a variety of vegetables)

3. After doing this for a while, your bird will start to understand this is where they should poop.

That's pretty much how you train them!

If they are not tamed, well then that's a whole other story. I think the easiest training to start with is target training. It will also help you bond with your birds. For target training, it's also super simple:

1. Buy a target training stick and clicker online (Leathers4feathers, Birdtricks, etc.)

2. Birds are naturally curious and will usually use their beak to explore things.

3. Put the stick next to the bird, and if they touch the stick with their beak, press the clicker and give them a treat.

So that's training in a nutshell!

Hope this helps, Adriana R.
Sorry to say, but this is incredibly bad advice that can harm your bird. You must NEVER link treats with going to the toilet. The worst case scenario is that the bird will strain to go to the toilet when they don't need to poo, which can result in injuries. Another bad scenario is that the bird refuses to poo anywhere but the designated spot which leads to the bird not defecating unless they're in that spot.

Birds are smart but are not like human children. They do not generalise from experience in the same way. You have to be incredibly careful when training that they are learning what you want them to learn.

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Sorry to say, but this is incredibly bad advice that can harm your bird. You must NEVER link treats with going to the toilet. The worst case scenario is that the bird will strain to go to the toilet when they don't need to poo, which can result in injuries. Another bad scenario is that the bird refuses to poo anywhere but the designated spot which leads to the bird not defecating unless they're in that spot.

Birds are smart but are not like human children. They do not generalise from experience in the same way.
I understand your point of view, but a lot of professionals use this, and it works. Their birds are healthy and happy.
I don't mean to be rude in any way. :)

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa

Birds are smart but are not like human children. They do not generalise from experience in the same way. You have to be incredibly careful when training that they are learning what you want them to learn.
i dont think it would even work because im not sure what a tamed bird is , idk what to look for or know. i got the birds from a breeder who has lots of birds they r a family friend . the birds came hand tamed and love to be held but they dont let me pet them , idk y , but what does a trained bird do?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Toilet training is unsafe for birds. Birds aren't designed to hold their waste like dogs or humans - they're designed to poo frequently. Bird anatomy is all about reducing weight - hollow bones with struts, air sacs, and an effective digestive system. Carrying digesting food or waste around with them is just added weight. If you watch carefully, birds often poo before launching into flight. Even less than a gram makes a difference. As such, birds produce small but frequent droppings.

Toilet training them can have unintended consequences, such as the bird holding waste in longer than is healthy or being reluctant to relieve themselves without a cue.

They're budgies so it's not like you're dealing with a huge mess. Get some paper towels and either Poop-Off or some diluted washing up liquid. If you clean up promptly, you won't have a problem.
aviatorharness.com also says, "Beware; there is an urban myth that potty training your parrot is a bad idea because your parrot may hold it until he dies. This is just a rumor, and nothing to worry about!"

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
i dont think it would even work because im not sure what a tamed bird is , idk what to look for or know. i got the birds from a breeder who has lots of birds they r a family friend . the birds came hand tamed and love to be held but they dont let me pet them , idk y , but what does a trained bird do?
In this case, your birds are pretty tame, I still recommend doing target training, though. Do they come on to your finger, or do you have to put them in your finger?

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
In this case, your birds are pretty tame, I still recommend doing target training, though. Do they come on to your finger, or do you have to put them in your finger?
they come after a couple times of me saying come

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand your point of view, but a lot of professionals use this, and it works. Their birds are healthy and happy.
I don't mean to be rude in any way. :)
No ethical trainer - or anyone with even a basic understanding of bird physiology - will teach you to toilet train your bird. They will certainly not tell you to link it with treats.

Please read what I wrote carefully: I'm not saying that a bird will hold it in until they die. I'm saying that a bird might strain to poo or will only be comfortable pooing in a particular place. These are different issues and ones which come up time and time again when people attempt to toilet train their birds. A healthy bird will poo. A healthy bird will poo often - it needs to keep it's weight down for effective flight. Holding poo in their bodies is added weight.

If we want to keep these animals in our homes, we must accommodate that - not try to train it out of them.

Please stop giving out bad advice based on dubious sources that you've read.