• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my budgie so scared of my finger?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey, it's me kifird again, and I'm really confused why my budgie is so scared of my finger? He is 11 weeks old and is always hand fed by me, and refuses to eat out of his bowl unless I'm out of the house. He is tamed-ish, and I got him to step up many times before.
5-3 days ago he began to fear my finger, I don't know why. I recall I did try to bring him to my desk which was just a couple meters away from his cage, and I was a bit quick with it. I may have scared my bird there, but the next day he was completely fine again with stepping up and perching on the perch located outside of his cage.
If I did lose my budgie's trust with my finger, do you folks have any tips on how to gain it back? (She's also been very aggressive lately before that desk incident)

Thanks <3:heart:

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I feel sometimes once they get a fear you need to go back to the beginning and start again.

If she's female from my limited experience they are a bit more grumpy. Mine would only do things SHE wanted to do and it had to benefit HER otherwise she'd bite me. lol

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
I feel sometimes once they get a fear you need to go back to the beginning and start again.

If she's female from my limited experience they are a bit more grumpy. Mine would only do things SHE wanted to do and it had to benefit HER otherwise she'd bite me. lol
Resolved

Right after I wrote this post I did resolve the issue (somewhat) and she got a bit more used to my hand.

During training today, I took her outside of her cage and onto her favorite perch outside. During this, I started off with dipping my hand in water, and crushed some millet, and got millet slathered all over my index finger. I got her to eat off of my finger so she could get used to my index finger again. Then, I took my finger with millet, and put it further away, with my finger as an option for her to step on to make her job easier. I did this until she couldn't reach it anymore, but after around 10 failed attempts, she gave up reaching her neck like a giraffe, and stepped onto my finger. I did this continiousally until she got used to that, stepping up onto my finger because she expects a treat slathered finger on the other side.

After she got used to that though we eventually advanced onto her having to step up onto my finger to reach her treat, at first she was scared, but then she started eating like there would be no millet left for tomorrow. I guess it's just patience and some time and space between each other (like real relationships :hehepink:)

Thanks for the concern though :)

:budgie9: