• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which one is more challenge GW Macaw Or Yellow Naped Amazon ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:heart::heart::heart::heart:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I tried these days blending baby food and pellets with warm water, succeeded in making him eat it.:bluhug:

Plus adding drops of the avian vitamin in his water, I also noticed that he's not drinking enough water so now I pick his head and use the syringe and push water inside his mouth, so he has inside his cage and outside plus the water I give him by the syringe.:bubbles:

My son and I noticed that this child face he does was "only" when we were in the room, I watched him in the security camera he was normal and playing, so I tried yesterday to be in the place using my computer and Ignore him for some time.o_Oo_Oo_O

The beautiful thing is now he's asking for stepping up, then he puts his head on my chest.:needhug:

Good job Saud!! Good job indeed. Told you it would work.
It assures that he gets his nutrients and water.
High five buddy!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I did for him the sex-determination DNA test, it should be released on Monday or Tuesday
Ohhh I am so excited to find out what your baby is. I think I’m in love with your bird :D

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
Don't know what to say
Screenshot_20191105-200743_Gmail.jpg
I've just got the result of Sex Determination and the result of diseases

First, they said It's "She not He"which made me so happy, and I changed her name to
Chamlah
Screenshot_20191105-192907_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Next is the worst think, they said that she has two viruses and gave me two links to read about them which made me so sad and don't know what to do as there is no treatment for that

Avian Polyoma virus

Polyoma Virus Infection in Birds | VCA Animal Hospital

Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD)

Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD) - Veterinary Partner - VIN

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Don't know what to say
View attachment 319309
I've just got the result of Sex Determination and the result of diseases

First, they said It's "She not He"which made me so happy, and I changed her name to Chamlah
View attachment 319310

Next is the worst think, they said that she has two viruses and gave me two links to read about them which made me so sad and don't know what to do as there is no treatment for that

Avian Polyoma virus

Polyoma Virus Infection in Birds | VCA Animal Hospital

Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD)

Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD) - Veterinary Partner - VIN

The vet confirmed these diseases in your bird? Did you get any medication for it? Though it's said there is no cure, research is always being conducted. You never know when a breakthrough will come about.
By medication, I'm referring to that which makes your bird more comfortable, and tolerate the symptoms. Though there's no cure, there is meds that keep it under control.
Some birds can live quite some time with those viruses, if meds and care are provided.
By the way, Chamlah is a beautiful name! I like it!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@SAUD
I'm so sorry about the diagnoses of Polyoma and Beak and feather disease. These are two very bad diseases and the very first thing you should do is to have the tests run again. Preferably at a different laboratory. A lab can as does make mistakes. Make sure the diagnosis is correct first.

There is no cure for either of those diseases, but birds have been known to live many years with good care. I'm an optimist and would like to point out a couple of positive things about Chamlah. First, I don't think she was nearly nine months old when you got her. I think she was nearer six/seven months. Her general appearance, actions and feathering were not good when you got her, but she has greatly improved since you have had her. Is she still improving.

PBFD is rampant in your part of the world and one should never buy a bird there without being tested for the Big Three diseases before purchase. You did exactly what you should do by taking her to a veterinarian immediately. For one thing this proves that the bird was infected before you bought her and you should have a claim against the pet shop for her purchase price and veterinary bills.

It's not her fault - keep loving her. Keep you other birds quarantined from her and have any other birds tested immediately.

My heart and best thoughts are with you, your son and Chamlah.

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
First, I don't think she was nearly nine months old when you got her. I think she was nearer six/seven months. Her general appearance, actions and feathering were not good when you got her, but she has greatly improved since you have had her. Is she still improving.
She improved a lot, and now she is dancing, playing, and asking me to pet her.

Now she is drinking water regularly, eating fruits and vegetables plus the wet bread which she loves.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
She sure likes that stuff. Chamlah is a real sweetie. What does Chamlah mean or is it just a name?

I say keep doing whatever you are doing and get her tested again. Maybe you should put the pet store on notice so they will be aware that they may have Polyoma and PBFD in their store birds.

Don't forget to have your other birds tested.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh, such a little sweetie!

So sorry about the diagnosis, as said before, it's not the end of the world, she can still have many happy years with you.
Stay with us on AA, the knowledge and advice here may help you as you power through this with her.
So glad it's you that has her, we know she'll be loved endlessly.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she were mine, I'd wait between 90 days and 3 months and test again with a different lab if possible. New world species can sometimes clear PBFD from their system on their own and seroconvert to negative. Polyoma is more immediately concerning. Its known as a fledgling disease and generally affects chicks prior to weaning. Many birds that survive the original infection will also clear this virus from their system and not have a problem. There is a vaccine for polyoma virus. You might want to ask the vet if their is any use in giving it to an asymptomatic bird.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oh darn....I felt female but I also know there are so many bad diseases in birds bred in that area....I only hope with your love & good care & her heart that she can thrive!!!!!!!!!!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry about the Polyoma & PBFD. They find out new medical things daily & labs do make mistakes. Congrats on your baby girl!!!

Stick it out here, you have some of the best advice, short of a vet & even then I sometimes wonder who the Ace is @ Birdy medicine! But here there is so much just a few keystrokes away :bighug:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'm so sorry to hear this! Follow the advice you've been given above about re-testing. And keep giving her the excellent care you've been giving her - she has improved dramatically. I do agree that she appears to be younger than the reported age, but maybe that could be the disease impact (?). The fact that she's improving is a strong testament to your care and her resiliency. Hopefully you've followed a strict quarantine regiment and have not exposed your other birds. You should have them tested for the future, at the very least. You won't want to bring any other birds into your home if they're positive. Did the pet store guarantee her health? Hopefully they will offer you some financial compensation, although nothing can compensate for the emotional upset. Keep loving her - and I think this site is a good resource for health support.

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
She sure likes that stuff. Chamlah is a real sweetie. What does Chamlah mean or is it just a name?
I've searched for the exact meaning in English and I've found out these

Perfectly, Flawlessly, Faultlesaly

It's to describe a Girl as she is without fault, beautiful from inside to outside and close to an angel
"The Virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus is Chamlah"