• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which one is more challenge GW Macaw Or Yellow Naped Amazon ?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
In your video he looks like a pretty young baby - maybe not yet coordinated enough for this method. When my girl was very young, I'd pick up both feet at the same time, one in each hand, and give her all the support she needed to feel stable.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I really think the malnutrition has done a number on this baby. He does not look like he's 9 months old!
Go very slowly with him, I think he has a lot of catching up to do.
He is also acting very babyish, a normal healthy 9 month old is much more outgoing, learning flying, getting into trouble, very rough and tumble.
Your baby has had a rough start. I'm so glad you now have him, and can give him lots of patience, love, food and time.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Oh - I haven't read all the posts thoroughly, and didn't realize that malnutrition was an issue. He does really look younger than his age... that would explain it. Hopefully he can catch up without any lasting deficits.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I really think the malnutrition has done a number on this baby. He does not look like he's 9 months old!
He is also acting very babyish, a normal healthy 9 month old is much more outgoing, learning flying, getting into trouble, very rough and tumble.
Your baby has had a rough start. I'm so glad you now have him, and can give him lots of patience, love, food and time.

I agree..his feathers & his movements...I missed the malnutrition part...Always go slow.. This is a sweet bird but he needs patience. You will be rewarded but sometimes you just have to go slow...

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
Hello

Is this Mix good for him?

20191018_170900.jpg

He is eating only fruits and this Mix, I tried to put pellets only but when I come back to him he refuses to eat them and throw them out of the cage.

20191018_170009.jpg

20191018_165934.jpg

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Ideally, you'd give him very little seeds (which is what your mix looks to be), and his diet would be primarily fresh fruits and vegetables, a high quality pellet (I don't know what you have available to you there) and a 3-5 nuts every day. He's too young, weak and uncoordinated to crack nuts, but you can start him on them by cracking them for him and helping him to eat the meat. Show him what you're doing, and give him little bites as you break them up. Right now I think you need to stick to weaning-type foods - soft, warm, mushy, high calorie and high nutrition.

In the video you just posted, he's begging for food. Is he eating okay at this point?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here are the contents of your Versele - Laga Ara mix.
Composition
Striped sunflower seeds, white sunflower seeds, buckwheat, oats, safflower, maize, wheat, mixed nuts, pumpkin kernels, peeled peanuts, pine nuts, hempseed, puffed wheat, popcorn, rosehip, red pepper, maxi V.A.M. pellets, oystershells

Analytical constituents
Protein 14.5%, fat content 22%, crude fibre 20%, crude ash 5%, calcium 1%, phosphorus 0.40%, lysine 0.50%, methionine 0.35%, threonine 0.45%

The sunflower seeds and the peanuts aren't good. Peanuts still, even with modern processing methods, carry some risk of Aspergillois and Aflotoxins (both deadly). I personally stay completely away from peanuts - in any form. Both Peanuts and sunflower seeds have a high content of fats, your bird especially being a GW needs more fat than the other macaw species (except Hyacinth) - BUT the fats in both peanuts and sunflowers are high saturated and not good for heart and circulatory systems. Give him non-saturated fats like walnuts, almonds, olive oil and most especially Red Palm Oil and Flax seed or oil.

Right now that baby needs much higher protein than is in the mix. Vegetable protein is always the best so supplement with Tofu (unsalted). And any or all of these vegetables - except avacados They are highly toxic to parrots and no one seems to know why. Vegetables High in Protein: 19 Veggies and How to Eat More. Add leafy green and red vegetables to his diet - Romaine lettuce, Swiss Chard, Kale, Mustard Greens, Parsely. Bok Choy, - almost all are great and contain some vitamins and minerals that are ot present in other foods.

Feed your guy very little fruit and that mostly as treats. Fruit has a lot of sugar and sugar metabolizes directly to fat and sugar encourages fungus infections - so very little.

He needs more protein, less bad fats-more good fats, more fresh veggies and very little fruit. Keep giving him some formula as long as he wants it. He is going to be an absolute beauty.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
The list Mary Lynn gave you is great - it should help you a lot. When Fia was a baby I came up with a concoction that I still make almost every night, and my birds still love it. I mash up some cooked yam, add a bit of apple sauce, a bit of banana and creamy almond butter. I mash and mix this till it's pretty smooth, then I warm it up and serve. I can also add some chia seeds, hemp hearts, walnut oil, scrambled egg, etc., whenever I think they need it. And I can add a vitamin supplement when I want. Your baby looks like he'd still like to have something fed to him, so I'd offer it to him on a spoon or on my fingers. I just keep thinking about your video - and some of the others you've posted have also shown some head bobbing. I worry that he's food-insecure. I would work really hard right now to try to correct this, by offering him a warm, moist, high-calorie, high-fat, high protein food every time he begs. You mentioned that he's seen a vet - did they do any testing? I think at this point it's worth ruling out any infection that could be compromising his health and metabolism. I don't mean to be a worry-wart...

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
In the video you just posted, he's begging for food. Is he eating okay at this point?
Yes he is eating very well, but what I saw is he wants only fruits and the mix, he throws the pellets every time I put it for him, and also he don't drink much water

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
For now, those the brands of pellets and mixes I have, which I give it also to my Yellow Naped Amazon and Triton Cockatoo.

Plus the Steamed Vegetables and Fruits

20191018_170900.jpg 20191018_234151.jpg 20191018_234126.jpg 20191018_234034.jpg 20191018_233950.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you tried letting the pellets soften up in some warm water and giving him that?
My bird loved that when he was a baby and still has it now because he likes pellets warm and mushy. He will also eat them as they are but when he first came to me he mainly only ate pellets if I softened and warmed them.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'm glad he's eating - I've actually worried about him a bit all weekend! (I don't have access to a computer on the weekends - I live in a more remote area). I'm familiar with the zupreem pellets and have fed them to my birds a times. My cockatoo loves her pellets mixed with pureed baby food. I give her either the carrots or the apple-blueberry varieties. The zupreem pellets are nice for this because they hold their shape when moist, and the babyfood varieties I use give her some additional anti-oxidants and vit. A. Yours might like this as well, since he's still a baby, as @Shezbug mentioned. My cockatoo is 29, and still eats them this way!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Have you tried letting the pellets soften up in some warm water and giving him that?
My bird loved that when he was a baby and still has it now because he likes pellets warm and mushy. He will also eat them as they are but when he first came to me he mainly only ate pellets if I softened and warmed them.
I was going to mention same thing, soften the pellets.
I've always had an issue with my birds not wanting pellets.
SOooo, i'd take pellets, put in blender. Add some steam sweet potatoes, carrots, tofu, cooked luguimes, then puree it in blender, put in bowl with warm water to where texture is more watery, not soupy, but not a paste either. And try spoon feeding with big spoon.
This will help bulk them up. My birds take their pellets that way, mixed with oat meal in morning. They prefer things wet. And eat from spoon.
My military prefer all his food wet for some reason. Just liked it that way.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

He is lacking in something... Nutrition wise. Saud has a wide range of good food for the macaw. Which is good! Great choice, however, it does not necessarily mean he's eating it, or getting enough nutrition from it, some birds have a habit of picking what they want, leaving what they really should have.
If it were me, is add some avian vitamin drops to his food, preferably wet food.
The macaw look s a bit younger in last video than his stated age. With this said, he might have issues digesting hard food yet, as a baby that is. I could be wrong, but he dose look like he's hungery, not getting enough. Which to me, is not processing the hard food properly yet. Which in turn results in lack of nutrition.
Soften the food, maybe even add a pinch of digestive enzymes to it.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I was thinking the same thing, which is why I was worrying - he looks to have regressed, but it's only 1 video a couple seconds in length. I hope I'm wrong. I do strongly urge you to weigh him daily, without fail, and take him to the vet if there's any question about total weight, or gain/maintenance. Weight/growth charts are good tools with which to make initial normal/not normal judgments.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm glad he's eating - I've actually worried about him a bit all weekend! (I don't have access to a computer on the weekends - I live in a more remote area). I'm familiar with the zupreem pellets and have fed them to my birds a times. My cockatoo loves her pellets mixed with pureed baby food. I give her either the carrots or the apple-blueberry varieties. The zupreem pellets are nice for this because they hold their shape when moist, and the babyfood varieties I use give her some additional anti-oxidants and vit. A. Yours might like this as well, since he's still a baby, as @Shezbug mentioned. My cockatoo is 29, and still eats them this way!
When poppers went through her bout recently with bad fungal infection, and lost a ton of weight, I mixed Pellets with baby food. I would put pellets in blender, make it into a powder form, mix it in with the protein baby food. Then syringe fed her. She couldn't hold anything else down. So that worked best. Alternating between emeraid and baby food... Her weight returned.
Even now, both my birds get an evening feeding by syringe, of baby food and pellets. They love syringe feeding evening or spoon feeding in morning. They are use to it, and assures they get their pellets and vitamins. Pureed food my birds love. I take veggies they need but don't always eat, and puree them, they'll eat it that way.

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
I tried these days blending baby food and pellets with warm water, succeeded in making him eat it.:bluhug:

Plus adding drops of the avian vitamin in his water, I also noticed that he's not drinking enough water so now I pick his head and use the syringe and push water inside his mouth, so he has inside his cage and outside plus the water I give him by the syringe.:bubbles:

My son and I noticed that this child face he does was "only" when we were in the room, I watched him in the security camera he was normal and playing, so I tried yesterday to be in the place using my computer and Ignore him for some time.o_Oo_Oo_O

The beautiful thing is now he's asking for stepping up, then he puts his head on my chest.:needhug: