• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which one is more challenge GW Macaw Or Yellow Naped Amazon ?

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
Hello

This is my first time to have Macaw in my life, I already have an experience in taming Yellow Naped Amazon who's now is 6 years old "I can say it hatched on my hand" :hug8: , but I'am afraid of this macaw so much, I bought it yesterday and kept it in the shop and I will move him to my house on Saturday until I buy a stand for him and put some toys.

Anyway , he is Green Winged Macaw and as what the seller told me he is 9 months old.

My question is whether taming the GW macaw more challenge than the yellow naped amazon. :dead:

20190925_192811.jpg 20190925_192858.jpg 20190925_193031.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh your baby is soooo adorable! I cannot wait to see that tail grow back in :)

Can I ask what makes you afraid of this baby? Macaw babies are such sweethearts and from my experience they give you plenty of warning before even considering giving a proper bite if you are doing something they do not like. What is this bird doing that is making you afraid?

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD
Oh your baby is soooo adorable! I cannot wait to see that tail grow back in :)

Can I ask what makes you afraid of this baby? Macaw babies are such sweethearts and from my experience they give you plenty of warning before even considering giving a proper bite if you are doing something they do not like. What is this bird doing that is making you afraid?
Actually this huge beak :omg:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Actually this huge beak :omg:

My boy (B&G) is very much a beaky bird.
He loves to chew on anything and everything and especially loves holding on to my fingers with his beak while playing on his back or upside down.
He also likes to be offered a finger to grab in his beak for me to pick him up if he’s down too low for me to easily reach him. He sometimes gets a bit cheeky and wants to explore my knuckles with a bit more force but he rarely hurts me and the few times he has hurt me a little bit have been accidental- like grabbing onto me to save himself when he’s falling or frightened.
I would tell him while he was preening himself how gentle he was being and every time he got a bit vigorous with his preening and hurt himself I’d say “ohh too rough! be gentle!” ...he now understands the difference between rough and gentle so I can easily tell him he’s being too rough and he will settle down with how hard he clamps that beak on anything.
He also lets me know very clearly when he is not wanting me to do something with or to him by either moving away from me and making a grumpy sound or lifting his foot like he’s going to push me away with it, if I ignore these signs of communication from him he will certainly he much tougher on me than when he is happy to be touched etc.

Have you interacted at all with this baby? Has there been any signs of this baby wanting to clamp down on you or hurt you?
If not then I’m thinking maybe you just need some time to learn Macaw body language and learn to trust the baby as much as you want it to trust you.

Now an Amazon’s beak worries me much more than a macaws beak! I was bitten a beauty by an Amazon and his beak was razor sharp....my Macaws beak seems to crush more than cut when he does use it to tell me I’ve pushed the boundaries too far.

I can not tell you which bird would be more of a challenge to tame but I guess it would depend on the individual bird and your ability to learn to read its warning signs and general body language.
Hopefully some other members will be of more help to you, we do have some members that have both Macaws and Amazon’s.

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD

Have you interacted at all with this baby? Has there been any signs of this baby wanting to clamp down on you or hurt you?
If not then I’m thinking maybe you just need some time to learn Macaw body language and learn to trust the baby as much as you want it to trust you.

Thank you Shezbug for all this information and experiences you provide, on my second visit yesterday I tried to step him up and he tried to attack my hand, I think I know why he did this, it's because in the birds store he was in a cage with Catalina Macaw and I saw them fighting so he's still in defending mood and needs some efforts from me to make him calm down, I have to work on that on Saturday once he reach home.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Thank you Shezbug for all this information and experiences you provide, on my second visit yesterday I tried to step him up and he tried to attack my hand, I think I know why he did this, it's because in the birds store he was in a cage with Catalina Macaw and I saw them fighting so he's still in defending mood and needs some efforts from me to make him calm down, I have to work on that on Saturday once he reach home.

What great info Shezbug provided!
Sounds like you have this visit yesterday figured out @SAUD , and I wish you much luck with the next visit and the homecoming. Can you offer him a treat next time? Gorgeous bird!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
No matter the type of bird they all have their own personalities . Yes trying to get a bird to do anything if they are in defence mode is likely to get undesirable results. If a animal senses you are afraid they have the upper hand. I have have received some nasty bites but I am not afraid of the beak, its all about learning body language and respecting when they just don't want to be messed with. Read, read and more reading all you can about your handsome bird it will make things much easier for both you and your new bird. There will be a honeymoon period then you will see a whole personality come out. Diet & required hrs of sleep play a huge role in your birds temperament. I can't stress that enough.
Congratulations on your new family member , you have a great forum of very knowledgeable people here for any questions and concerns.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have very limited experience with macaws, but something I find helpful is to remind myself that beaks are capable of great delicacy as well as crushing bites. A macaw can gently preen its mate's eyelids or feed its babies without injury with that massive beak.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have owned two GW macaws. One had been mistreated before I got him and it took us a couple of years to become best buddies. The other had been raised by a family that loved her dearly and I'm sure she had never been told no. They were as different as night and day in personality, but both came around to be very fond of me - I, of course loved them both like life itself.

It depends a lot on what has gone on with your new bird before you bought him, but GWs as a general rule like people and love to interact with their person. It takes awhile for them to trust you and like you, but if you take it easy with him and let him make the decisions about interactions he will come around. Remember he does not know you and has no idea if you are going to harm him or not. Talk to him a lot - GW love to be talked to. Offer him lots of treats. First through the bars into a feed cup then from your hand. Macaws are easy to bribe.

Your new baby looks a little rough which good food and a few baths should take care of that. Be sure you quarantine your new bird for the safety of both the Amazon and the GW. You don't want either of them getting ill from something the other may have.

Please ask any questions you have. There are many experienced macaw owners on this forum and we love to help a new bird have a good start.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My wild caught GW was a very calm and sweet bird. He bit me on occasion but it never seemed to be out of anger, more out of fear. My friend's YNA chased me through her house, trying to bite my feet. I know it varies bird to bird for sure but I am less afraid of GWs than of one of the hot three amazons.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My wild caught GW was a very calm and sweet bird. He bit me on occasion but it never seemed to be out of anger, more out of fear. My friend's YNA chased me through her house, trying to bite my feet. I know it varies bird to bird for sure but I am less afraid of GWs than of one of the hot three amazons.

Me too. My male GW was a wild caught too, but after he was treated well for awhile he seemed to really like captivity and the soft living. Yes, I got some world class bites from him before we became best friends.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not sure why you bought a bird you are afraid of but I understand. Really should not handle the bird while you are afraid as they can sense it.

Talk & offer treats for awhile..

Saw a meyers in the petshop on a stand. Asked if he bit & they said no...Well the bird did not understand that & went to bite me...Can never trust a Meyers...They bite from nowhere & I had one for 3 years...A alarm bird who was not a more quiet Meyers & it would be fine being held & then all of a sudden a vicious attack...not just a nibble an all out chomp & grind & have to pry off your finger bite...That relatively small bird made bruising deep wounds...

This is a baby so it should be easier if its been socialized & not mistreated...

It takes any bird awhile to trust a person...I don't encourage stepping up any unknown bird no matter how friendly until you take some time to try to introduce yourself...Treats are the best way to say I am good...

Good Luck...

GW's are gorgeous...

You will have to quarantine well...

Alot of diseased birds esp in the middle east..

SAUD

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
SAUD

Your new baby looks a little rough which good food and a few baths should take care of that. Be sure you quarantine your new bird for the safety of both the Amazon and the GW. You don't want either of them getting ill from something the other may have.
Thanks a lot for all the information you provide especially as a GW owner, on Saturday I'll pick him up from the birds store then I'll think if going directly to the vet center to check it up with the doctors there and get vitamins injection or to wait one week to let the bird relax at home, also I will separate him from my YNA in another room just to make him more comfortable and not scary.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have owned two GW macaws. One had been mistreated before I got him and it took us a couple of years to become best buddies. The other had been raised by a family that loved her dearly and I'm sure she had never been told no. They were as different as night and day in personality, but both came around to be very fond of me - I, of course loved them both like life itself.

It depends a lot on what has gone on with your new bird before you bought him, but GWs as a general rule like people and love to interact with their person. It takes awhile for them to trust you and like you, but if you take it easy with him and let him make the decisions about interactions he will come around. Remember he does not know you and has no idea if you are going to harm him or not. Talk to him a lot - GW love to be talked to. Offer him lots of treats. First through the bars into a feed cup then from your hand. Macaws are easy to bribe.

Please ask any questions you have. There are many experienced macaw owners on this forum and we love to help a new bird have a good start.
Not sure why you bought a bird you are afraid of but I understand. Really should not handle the bird while you are afraid as they can sense it.

Talk & offer treats for awhile..

Saw a meyers in the petshop on a stand. Asked if he bit & they said no...Well the bird did not understand that & went to bite me...Can never trust a Meyers...They bite from nowhere & I had one for 3 years...A alarm bird who was not a more quiet Meyers & it would be fine being held & then all of a sudden a vicious attack...not just a nibble an all out chomp & grind & have to pry off your finger bite...That relatively small bird made bruising deep wounds...

This is a baby so it should be easier if its been socialized & not mistreated...

It takes any bird awhile to trust a person...I don't encourage stepping up any unknown bird no matter how friendly until you take some time to try to introduce yourself...Treats are the best way to say I am good...

Good Luck...

GW's are gorgeous...

You will have to quarantine well...

Alot of diseased birds esp in the middle east..

I am so glad you both mentioned Quarantine!

I own a Zon, & have never even held a Macaw. I would be sure to get him to an Avian vet or @ minimum a vet (if possible) where you live. Because he's 9, I'd try to learn any history you can on him. He could've been abused or in a pet store this whole time which could make him very vety leary of any people. Because your Zon was hatched & then placed w/ you it's whole life, you knew the history & I'm sure it was nice, as you were caring enough to find AA.

Please do lots of reading here, & I suggest that as, I've been to other forums & all over the internet. 9 out of 10 times the info is here somewhere. I can tell you that there are some bad/broken links here, if you have any issues, post... Someone ultimately will know the answer or know who to tag to get it.

Welcome to AA!

:grouphug: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so glad you both mentioned Quarantine!

I own a Zon, & have never even held a Macaw. I would be sure to get him to an Avian vet or @ minimum a vet (if possible) where you live. Because he's 9, I'd try to learn any history you can on him. He could've been abused or in a pet store this whole time which could make him very vety leary of any people. Because your Zon was hatched & then placed w/ you it's whole life, you knew the history & I'm sure it was nice, as you were caring enough to find AA.

Please do lots of reading here, & I suggest that as, I've been to other forums & all over the internet. 9 out of 10 times the info is here somewhere. I can tell you that there are some bad/broken links here, if you have any issues, post... Someone ultimately will know the answer or know who to tag to get it.

Welcome to AA!

:grouphug: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

I think this is a baby @Rain Bow.....his face certainly says baby to me :) Nine months old I’d be guessing as opposed to nine years old.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think this is a baby @Rain Bow.....his face certainly says baby to me :) Nine months old I’d be guessing as opposed to nine years old.

I agree...
Not a caw expert but thats a baby. They take longer to mature so 9 mo would seem to be about right...Quarantine for any age...Have heard alot of birds there having very bad infectious diseases...so I would be very careful...

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Be very gentle and calm with your baby. Has he been handled much? Or is he new to people petting and holding him?
Being as he's in a new home, away from what he knows, he's probably as afraid as you are, or even more frightened.
The key to a long happy life with him is slow, gentle, considerate companionship.
Don't push, yell, or get upset with him. It's all new, and he has no idea what you want.
Go slow. Be patient. He's big, but he's still a baby.
Do not frighten him by sudden movements, or grabbing him.
An accidental nip if he's scared can set you both back for quite some time.
You can place a towel, or small soft blanket over your arm/hand for him to step up on if you're afraid of that beak.
Make sure he's not afraid of towels, or blankets first.
You'll have many, many years of young macaw fun.
They mature slowly and you'll have lots of time to learn all about him.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can place a towel, or small soft blanket over your arm/hand for him to step up on if you're afraid of that beak.
Make sure he's not afraid of towels, or blankets first.
You'll have many, many years of young macaw fun.
They mature slowly and you'll have lots of time to learn all about him.
Loved all your advice! Years ago when I needed a little courage, I would wrap my forearm in an ace bandage.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Congratulations!
There are so many things to take into account and above had a lot of great advice and ideas. I do not thing either bird is harder than the other, just different in terms of what makes each bird an individual, their background etc.
Vet checks, diet, safe environment etc all a given and aside...

If I had to pick one thing though....Learning your new baby mac's body language will take you far. Respecting and responding accordingly will take you even further and much faster.
Doing a lot of hands off things like marker training, target training, stepping up onto perches, waving, vocalizing, and or flapping on cue etc can give you a chance for communication to develop BOTH WAYS while keepings things positive while confidence builds for and with you both.

The more communication there is both ways, the less likely a bite will occur as the bird learns that hey, this human knows that this means NO/I'M SCARED etc and they respect that so a bite isn't necessary. If you ignore the signs though, they'll quickly learn to bite to get the point across even if it isn't always needed.

Of course, accidents or situations happen but those aside, this single tip of learning but also respecting/responding to your bird's body language is what keeps a vast majority of legitimate bites prevented and the bite risk so low that it makes keeping one of these incredible macaws beyond worth it!

Good luck and have fun!