• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

when can i put a baby lovebird into a seperate cage?

Mango&Five

Meeting neighbors
View attachment 391475

so burrito is now 1 month and 2 weeks old. he has started coming out of the breeding box and is now eating on his own but i haven’t noticed him drinking water yet.
at night he still goes back into the breeding box, i’m wondering when he will be able to go into his own cage?
the parents have started mating again and the mother is foraging and taking things back into the breeding box again. i don’t want the parents to attack burrito because they are trying to lay eggs again.

in the future, if more babies are born how can i prevent them from breeding again? do i take the box out straight after the baby bird starts coming out even if it goes back into it a lot? i don’t want to end up with a lot of babies.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
the parents have started mating again and the mother is foraging and taking things back into the breeding box again
Remove the box. Shuffle the parents cage around, move perches, add some new things, maybe a new toy, a couple of new foraging activities, move the food and water bowl, turn the cage if you can and even move it even if just a metre.

Put the nesting box with Burrito inside it into the new cage. If the parents are still feeding him, be sure to allow feeding times, but have all the birds out of their cages. Close the cages behind them coming out so the parents can´t go into the chicks cage and take over the nest. Also keep the chick away from the parents cage in case they take their frustration out on the little guy.

Be sure there is enough bedding in the nest to keep the chick warm. You can offer a rolled up sock to snuggle with (a clean one! brand new and washed if you have one.)