• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's YOUR Fovorite Birb?

fashionfobie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
In terms of parrots I decided to live with smaller birds because it is easier in my home. I also rent and landlords aren't worried about them chewing through things. Since I don't really have a most or least favourite I will mention a species that I think is underestimated. Plumhead Parrots, psittacula cyanocephala, are amazing. They are very gregarious and even though they do have their favorite person they are placid with other members of the household. They are not like parrotlets or caiques who can sometimes chase down people they don't like. Plumheads have a kind and sincere personality. They don't like body touch, but honestly that is pretty overrated. They make up for it by wanting to spend time with you and they almost never have a bad day. They are also impressively intelligent. I am not sure why they aren't more popular, they are splendid birds. I don't think psittaculas have popped up on this list at all yet!

Maybe popularity is based on access, plumheads are seasonal breeders and have few chicks a years. That could be it.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I think my favourite is Pyhurra conures. I'm biased though, but they really are personally more my cup of tea. Also Greys because they are just amazing.
I don't dislike any.

Catharsis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jasper
Parrots are overall my favorite types of birds, however I also do love corvidae.

As for my favorite bird specifically? Has to be Hyacinth Macaws! They're gorgeous! I also adore Cherry-Headed Conures and Caiques!

MnGuy

I have limited longtime exposure to different species in my home, but from my hands-on experience and briefly being around and reading about other species, I have a strong preference for:

-Poicephalus species, because they're affectionate but not overly needy, vocal but not consistently loud, and I love their coloration. Something about the heavy gray coloring juxtaposed with the limited bursts of lime-green, neon yellow, neon orange and electric baby blue is really unique compared to other species.

-Congo African Greys, because they are so smart, funny and curious.

-Ring-necked and moustache parakeets, along with Alexandrines.

I think lovebirds could be the perfect parrot for me were it not for their high-pitched calls. Love their personality, size and look, but my ears can't handle the pitch and frequency of their calls.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
All parrots have their charms but I realize that each situation is different.

When I was a teen the amazing African Grey seemed like the king of the birds.
Their talking ability & sounds so endearing. I think I fell out of it meeting one. Still to be honest they are guarded around strangers so was not a good example of how they are with there person. Still after meeting that one I lost the desire to have one though I imagine they are great birds.

I wanted a GCC but discovered the Crimson Bellied Conure even more fascinating.
My Rio is not the social butterfly but he can be a sweet bird

I love the pionus especially the Bronze Wing. My dream bird

I have a Hawkhead & Penny is a great fun bird. She is such a joy...most of the times.

Watching the wild birds of Australia I fell in love with the Rosella types. There chirps are so soothing. I think if I lost my gang & was on in years I'd look to having the smaller birds like Rosellas or Bourkes.

Bourkes have such a calming cheerful presence

MR. Mango

- hyacinth macaw
- keel billed toucan
- Major Mitchell’s cockatoo
- galah
- Indian ring necks ( I want a yellow, blue, and green) :wacky: