• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's YOUR Fovorite Birb?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In terms of parrots I decided to live with smaller birds because it is easier in my home. I also rent and landlords aren't worried about them chewing through things. Since I don't really have a most or least favourite I will mention a species that I think is underestimated. Plumhead Parrots, psittacula cyanocephala, are amazing. They are very gregarious and even though they do have their favorite person they are placid with other members of the household. They are not like parrotlets or caiques who can sometimes chase down people they don't like. Plumheads have a kind and sincere personality. They don't like body touch, but honestly that is pretty overrated. They make up for it by wanting to spend time with you and they almost never have a bad day. They are also impressively intelligent. I am not sure why they aren't more popular, they are splendid birds. I don't think psittaculas have popped up on this list at all yet!

Maybe popularity is based on access, plumheads are seasonal breeders and have few chicks a years. That could be it.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I think my favourite is Pyhurra conures. I'm biased though, but they really are personally more my cup of tea. Also Greys because they are just amazing.
I don't dislike any.

Catharsis

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jasper
Parrots are overall my favorite types of birds, however I also do love corvidae.

As for my favorite bird specifically? Has to be Hyacinth Macaws! They're gorgeous! I also adore Cherry-Headed Conures and Caiques!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have limited longtime exposure to different species in my home, but from my hands-on experience and briefly being around and reading about other species, I have a strong preference for:

-Poicephalus species, because they're affectionate but not overly needy, vocal but not consistently loud, and I love their coloration. Something about the heavy gray coloring juxtaposed with the limited bursts of lime-green, neon yellow, neon orange and electric baby blue is really unique compared to other species.

-Congo African Greys, because they are so smart, funny and curious.

-Ring-necked and moustache parakeets, along with Alexandrines.

I think lovebirds could be the perfect parrot for me were it not for their high-pitched calls. Love their personality, size and look, but my ears can't handle the pitch and frequency of their calls.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
All parrots have their charms but I realize that each situation is different.

When I was a teen the amazing African Grey seemed like the king of the birds.
Their talking ability & sounds so endearing. I think I fell out of it meeting one. Still to be honest they are guarded around strangers so was not a good example of how they are with there person. Still after meeting that one I lost the desire to have one though I imagine they are great birds.

I wanted a GCC but discovered the Crimson Bellied Conure even more fascinating.
My Rio is not the social butterfly but he can be a sweet bird

I love the pionus especially the Bronze Wing. My dream bird

I have a Hawkhead & Penny is a great fun bird. She is such a joy...most of the times.

Watching the wild birds of Australia I fell in love with the Rosella types. There chirps are so soothing. I think if I lost my gang & was on in years I'd look to having the smaller birds like Rosellas or Bourkes.

Bourkes have such a calming cheerful presence

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
- hyacinth macaw
- keel billed toucan
- Major Mitchell’s cockatoo
- galah
- Indian ring necks ( I want a yellow, blue, and green) :wacky:

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Visually, I love cockatoos and sun conures, but I know they would never fit into my lifestyle.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have so many favorites! But, my top 3 are probably budgies, GCC (they have so many pretty color variants!), and Camelot Macaws.

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Wow, I love budgies, GCC's, Macaws, Galahs, Cockatoos and Bourke's parrots!
I have never owned anything other than budgies but I would love to oneway!!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I think i've replied to another thread like this one before, but anyway...
RTB2s :rtb2m::rtb2f:
Budgies
Princess parrots
Sun conures
Alexandrines
Pigeons
Owl finches
Blue cap finches
Gloster canaries
Scarlet macaws
Hahns macaws
Most chickens
Toco toucans

In no paticular order

jzarc17

Real Name
Jackie
This is a HARD question! Before my first bird I was obsessed with greenwing macaws, honestly I still am but my first bird was a lovebird and I have not had her even a year and she has won my heart and my family’s hearts as well. I also have a GCC that is very bonded to me. I love them both so much. I often think to myself that I can’t be without a lovebird.....mine is so vocal and I just love all of it, she is sooooo sassy, she has so much personality, she is so sweet and she makes so many different sounds! Also, lovebird IMO take the cake when is comes to cute, I find them painfully cute!! Oh and is it weird that I love it when she screems? I find it so funny! a few times a day, among the many other noises she makes she will belt out a full on scream!!! She puts her whole body into it! I freakin love that bird!

I hate to pick favorites, but if I had to, lovebirds are it. I really love so many birds, I’m going to be the next crazy bird lady!!

Birds I‘m crazy about;
Lovebirds
GCC
CAG
GW Macaws
Amazon’s

I want them all but I will most likely not get the CAG because of the dust effecting the other birds :sad2: I think the GW is next...I can’t wait!:excited3:

SeñorBirb

Real Name
Ella
I haven't interacted with too many birds, but I have interacted with budgies, a baby quaker parrot (it was so sweet, but my dad has had bad experiences with them in the past :lol:, we didn't buy him), cockatiels, (I think, it was when I was in 5th grade and it was caged) and a chicken. They were all great. I haven't met a bird that I didn't like. I love all birds, but some that won't fit into my life (Read as: My parents would kick me out and i don't have enough money as I am a teen) are all the larger birbs, quakers(the fact that they get attatched to one person and everyone else is a chew toy), lorikeets(water poops), and more that I can't think of. I really like any birb. They're all so cute (especially owl finches OMG)!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Such a fun thread! Super cool to read everyone’s thoughts.
I’ll always have a cockatiel. They’re just such amazing, individualistic birds and would definitely be my favorite. Mimi’s not looking over my shoulder...but you can never be too safe. ;)

I also fell in love with pyrrhura conures years ago and their antics are so endearing. So much personality for such little birds! Green cheeks are the only I’ve owned but I wouldn’t mind owning a crimson belly or pearly too in the future.
I will admit, I’ve always loved nanday conures. Never actually gotten to interact with one but once I own a home in the future, it may happen!

I can’t think of any I dislike, birds are just gorgeous and awe-inspiring as a whole. Anything larger than a smaller Amazon or Caique I don’t think I’d keep, though.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last year, this time i didn't have any idea there's a bird species called orange winged amazon... And now, a OWA is my youngest son.
Talking about favorite, I just LOVE budgies and cockatiels. Also, I dream about a mini macaw and an Alexander parrot.
Greys and cockatoos, I love to admire from a distance... They are absolutely fabulous, but beyond my limits.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The first parrot book I purchased as a teen was about African Greys.

That said, I have three green birds, so I suppose that means green birds are my favourite (no, I'm not one of those people who go looking for a bird that matches their curtains).
  • Green Cheek Conure - energetic, challenging, love having her bathe in the palm of my hand, and sleep inside my hoodie
  • Severe Macaw - very curious about everything, has an amazing innocence about him, very gentle with me
  • Military Macaw - he's very independent, so it makes me smile when he lifts his foot because he wants to step up and hang out for a bit (or flies to me)
If the pattern continues, there'll be a Buffon's Macaw on that list in the future (there won't be a Buffon's Macaw on that list in the future).

Bonus - favourite bird to watch on YouTube and Instagram - derpy/happy cockatiels and highly animated cockatoos.
Least favourite - the birds who have taken up residence in my attic (they'll be humanely evicted after spring nesting season).

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I LOATHE "birbs" and "fids." However, I LOVE parrots, 5 in particular.
  • For the last 25 years, Morgan, my DYH, has kept me laughing and chases off the blues with her talking, singing, and laughing.
  • Annie, the GW, is unfailingly sweet and wants nothing more than to be with me, even if we do nothing together. You can't beat that.
  • Daff, a capri hybrid, melts my heart when the first 5 or 10 minutes when comes out of her cage: she flips onto her back and is so sweet. She amazes me by talking in complete sentences and adding new words and phrases all the time. After that initial sweet period, she's sassy and mercurial, which is fine, too.
  • Harry, my 9 year old Valentine's boy (BTM) astounds me with his mechanical abilities and confounds me when he drains his water bottle for fun. He is settling down a bit and enjoys flying to me to perform his tricks and for cuddles.
  • Simon the Hy is cage aggressive, not too much...about like an angry king cobra. Once he's out, he's a giant sweetheart, content to receive scritches for hours.
Each brings something different to the table. If someone is having a bad day, another bird isn't. Feathered love is always available.

I admire golden conures; that'd be the only small bird I'd have.

I had a darling slenderbilled cockatoo, but I rehomed her to preclude Pulmonary Hypersensitivity in my New World flock. I will always miss her comical antics and flying skills.