• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's YOUR Fovorite Birb?

Adriana_33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Adriana
Hi there!

I have talked to many people about their birds, and everyone seems to have very different opinions on what species are best/worst. So, I decided to turn this into an opinion question:

What is your favorite bird species? What about your least favorite? Why?

Thank you, Adriana R.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love Lovebirds! They are beautiful, intellegent, independent, strong-willed, fierce, cute, active, long lived and lovable. Such an under-rated and often overlooked companion.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I like conures a lot, as I always feel a little bit scared of little fids like finches, and even sometimes budgies, just because they’re so tiny and sensitive and I feel like I could hurt them so easily. Giant birds like macaws intimidate me quite a bit. I mean, look at their beaks! That being said, I also love hyacinth macaws. I’ve never owned one or anything, but I met one as a child and I’ve always loved them since then. Last but definitely not least, of course budgies as I have two. :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If we're talking about pet birds, I like budgies & canaries. But recently I've decided zebra finches are lovely too. & someone just posted a picture of a dove that was beautiful...

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Alright, to answer the question in seriousness, my favorite parrots are the whole poicephalus genus, plus lovebirds, cockatiels, greys, and umbrella cockatoos.

My least favorites are eclectus, quakers, amazons, aratinga conures, and macaws.
I don't hate any of them - in fact I've quite loved a lot of individuals. But I would never want to own one myself.

But when it comes right down to it, I might be less of a parrot person than I thought. :unsure: I had a whole list of dream parrots until I got my starling, and now the only birds I want in the future are more starlings.

Aves

But I probably won't ever get Sun/Jenday Conures because they are way too loud for my liking. (Yes I know all parrots are loud.) They have Sunday (Sun+Jenday) at a pet store near my house and they are always screaming.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What @Zara said! Peachfaced lovebirds are 100% the perfect species for me, and amazing in general. So, so overlooked. So much personality and intelligence crammed into that adorable little package. I’ll never understand why they aren’t more popular! :shrug:

Don’t really have a least favorite. I love birds in general, and I always have. I expressed my love of birds before I could even really talk! :laughing2:

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i have too many favorites to choose! but my top choices are rosellas (especially crimson and pale-headed), pionus, patagonian conures, and golden conures. also lovebirds, but i don’t know if i’m obsessed with lovebirds.... or just Birdy :lol:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
My favourite parrot is the Orange-winged Amazon. Maybe I'm biased because I love Ollie so much. He is just the kindest, nicest bird you could ever meet and pretty laid back. Because he was most likely parent reared (he is a rescue and came to me untame) he is able to amuse himself rather than the hand reared Kobe (Blue-headed Pionus) who is over bonded to me and looks to me for entertainment always. It's flattering that Kobe follows me around, but can be annoying to have a bird whine and call if you leave the room. Ollie makes his own entertainment whether it's hanging upside down shadow boxing (which is hilarious to watch) or seeking out new places to explore and play.

If I had my time again, I think I might have got two cockatiels. They seem to be more easy going birds. Of course there is always the exception since all birds are individuals. I didn't go for tiels because of the feather dust... I have an allergy to dust, but actually Amazons can be dusty and I'm ok with them.

Greys scare me - they are too clever - it feels like they can see my soul when they look at me! :cautious:

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Everyone has different opinions on best/worst because very few people have had a chance to (personally) know multiple birds of each species. Sometimes only takes one bad egg to turn someone off from a species.

I enjoy all species but some would not be a good fit for my house.

At bird expos, I visit the Cockatoo's several times - especially if they would allow scratches. :heart:
At my local pet stores (which usually have tiny to medium birds), I usually stop by the finches for a few minutes. So cute to watch them interact with each other.

Neither species would be a good fit for me. Cockatoo's have a reputation as being higher maintenance (needy) than most parrots; finches are tiny - and I have cats.

Because of the cats - the smallest species I would consider for the house is a Quaker.
I am kind-of scared of Macaw beaks. :think1:
So the largest species I would consider would be an Amazon.

I don't really have a preferred species within that range - all are equally :xflove:.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Least favorite bird species that I have owned would have to be geese. We had a quartet of domestic geese on our farm for about a year, before we sold them on. They were Toulouse/Embden crosses, three grey and one white, all male. The geese were not given individual names, but we came to collectively call them the "Goose Mafia", because they were always strutting around together, projecting a classic tough guy machismo and talking smack about anyone who dared to get on their turf. I tried to find a picture, but I don't have a single photo of the geese on my phone anymore, which tells me just how much I didn't care for them.

They were mostly bluff and noise. Just never turn your back on a pissed off goose. They will bite ya right on the butt. True story.

My favorite bird species that I have owned is the Lady Gouldian finch. And second favorite is the Indian Blue Peacock. So pretty. So classy. I love them both.

20200728_104936.jpg

20200724_192846.jpg