• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Should I Do?

Avis

Meeting neighbors
Hello, I'm still learning how this forum works so I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong place.

For the last three days I've been suffering from something I can only call heartbreak. Three days ago I was taken to a store called Northside Ranch, Pet & Garden Center and I saw a white cockatoo (I think an umbrella cockatoo) in a cage that was only just big enough to not be cruel to the bird. There was a macaw in an equally small cage right next to it. There are no toys in the cage, and both birds have turned to self-mutilation. :sad5: There are a few perches and ALL of them were sandpaper perches. Their food and water dishes were on the bottom of the cage, which isn't a big deal but in my opinion it's pretty unsanitary.
These birds were so skinny I could see the bones on their chests and they'd torn off all the feathers on their wings. :cry: Worse, they were on a seed and rainbow-pellet diet. (I've only heard from Birdtricks that the rainbow pellets are bad, so not sure how true it is) Mostly their bowls were full of sunflower seeds and nuts.

It was such a horrible sight! :no: I'm dying to go back and take the birds out of that awful environment, but I don't know if that's even the right thing to do! I went to their website and they have a beautiful picture of the cockatoo from five years ago, and a picture of a beautiful scarlet macaw from two years ago. They were so gorgeous and healthy that I can hardly believe they are the same birds I saw just the other day! I don't think anyone will ever take those poor birds out of there. They've waited too long already! I'm mostly worried about the macaw's air sacs because I know that Old World birds can permanently damage their lungs with all their dust, and the birds are all in a tiny room full of rats, gerbils, bunnies, budgies, cockatiels, conures, ect. It goes on and on! And the smell is BAD!

Why I'm putting all this here is because I don't know if taking the macaw home is even the right thing to do! (I'm not sure I'm even able to take her here because I'm not exactly set up for it, but I'm DEFINITELY not ready for a cockatoo- the cockatoo tried to bite someone as I watched! Which is understandable but I can't take him home, very unfortunately. I have a better chance with the macaw, and I don't even know if I can take her/him.) I want to help, but if I take the macaw, won't she just be replaced and another macaw will be suffering the same? I can give her (or him) a better life, but there will just be another and that breaks my heart. But it also kills me to leave her/him there! What should I do? Would it even be right to try taking her home if I'm not ready for a big bird like that?
I've done a lot of research because I've wanted a macaw since I was little, so I'm sure I could figure it all out. I would certainly give her a better life than that store! But I don't know if it's right because there will just be another bird suffering in her place the second I take her out! :crycry:
Please help if you can!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Shezbug will be able to help you better @Icey too can help you with macaws only people I can think who have one @BrianB too

If their in that bad situation can you afford vet bills not just check up vet visit but what if they have a life long issues?

do you have a cage large enough space time resources to cope with such a big bird

I think people on here can give you advice but it’s your life only you know if you can handle a big bird

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
but if I take the macaw, won't she just be replaced and another macaw will be suffering the same?
This is really the sad truth.
If you buy that bird, then they win, they make their money, they don´t improve the conditions and they get another bird to fill that spot until another person comes in and feels sorry for them and buys them.

If you ask me, I think a good idea is to complain. Go find that manager and see what they have to say for themselves. Ask them about the cages, ask why no perches that aren´t sandpaper. Ask why those bigger birds are eating seed.

If you aren´t happy with the answers, or feel dismissed, go find a local bird group on facebook and see what other local bird owners think. If they feel the same, you can all write in emails to complain/voice concerns. Obviously, we on AA can´t do that because we haven´t been there, but people local to you who have been to that place can.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I would start by speaking with the manager. Find out why they have:
Housed the birds in such small cages, as being a pet store, they more than likely have larger more appropriate cages for them.
Not given them proper perches, which they also must have.
Ask him why he's not noticed the birds are self-mutilating.
Ask why their food dishes are on the bottom of the cage, where it is almost guaranteed their faeces is going to end up in their food and water dish.
IF he just blows you off, and you know from having visited the store many times, the situation is detrimental to the birds health, I would tell him you are going to report him to the Better Business Bureau.
Make sure you take pictures to back up your complaints.
Eg: food dishes, perches, cages, feather destruction, etc.
Unfortunately, as was mentioned, they may replace the macaw with another one.
We can't save them all, but if we can save 1 and give it a better life, that's a step in the right direction.
If he does offer to sell the macaw to you, as @Zara stated, it will need a check up from an avian vet first, as well as a large cage, and loads of toys, as well as food.
A macaw is a big responsibility, and will require alot of attention, and time.
If you are serious about getting the macaw, I wish you luck.
I have a macaw and an umbrella cockatoo and while both can be very demanding, I love them both to death. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If he does offer to sell the macaw to you, as @Zara stated, it will need a check up from an avian vet first, as well as a large cage, and loads of toys, as well as food.
That was Emma ;)

Personally I wouldn´t take the bird (or at least I wouldn´t pay for him), but I understand folks feeling bad for that poor creature.
For these operations, it´s all money to them, their birds are stock nothing more. I wouldn´t be surprised if they know the conditions are subpar but don´t improve it because people will come in, feel bad, and buy a bird they had no intention on bringing home.
It´s why I don´t go into chain petshops with birds/animals.
I´d rather bring home a pet from a shelter or reputable breeder, not be guilt tripped into an impulse buy.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
That was Emma ;)

Personally I wouldn´t take the bird (or at least I wouldn´t pay for him), but I understand folks feeling bad for that poor creature.
For these operations, it´s all money to them, their birds are stock nothing more. I wouldn´t be surprised if they know the conditions are subpar but don´t improve it because people will come in, feel bad, and buy a bird they had no intention on bringing home.
I´d rather bring home a pet from a shelter or reputable breeder, not be guilt tripped into an impulse buy.
I know what you mean and a agree 100% but I am a sucker too if I see a poor bird in bad condition if I know I can help but it will just 100% be replaced by another bird in days

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with the others. Speak up. Speak to the manager. If you don't get results, then speak to the owner. If they are part of a chain, continue going up until you get the results you want. I also encourage you to listen as well. You may find you have an opportunity to educate them. Maybe they don't have someone on staff that knows anything about exotic birds and how to care for them. Maybe the bigger birds aren't part of what they usually sell and for whatever reason, they ended up with them, and again, they just don't know how to take care of them.

Sometimes calling the local health department can get you the results you want, but sometimes the local health departments are worthless. In their eyes, if the bird had clean food and water dishes, then nothing else matters. The regulations to maintain a basic standard of cleanliness for pets don't exist. The law says if they have food and water, then they are ok. Your local health department may have expanded regulations in place and can spur them on to maintaining the birds in a better condition.

There is a store here in the Phoenix area that has finches and other small birds. I don't consider them a pet store, they are more of a feed/livestock store. Someone noticed that one of the small bird cages had an inch of dropping on some of the perches. They spoke to the manager and pointed it out. The manager insisted that the cages were deep-cleaned every week. While the cages themselves may have been deep cleaned, the perches certainly were not. You don't get an inch of droppings from a few finches after just a week. The person went to a local Facebook group and explained what had happened and several people visited the store and after seeing the situation for themselves, they complained to the manager as well. It got ugly before it got better. The manager went to the Facebook group and was very defensive, but people continued to point out that the amount of droppings in the cage wasn't sanitary for either the birds or the workers. It took some time, but the manager came around and started having everything in the cage cleaned properly. It was worth the effort.

Speak up first and see where that gets you. Even if you can't take the birds yourself, maybe someone locally can if the situation becomes known to others. Thank you for letting us know the birds are in such a sad situation. Hopefully, something good comes from this.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
That was Emma ;)

Oops sorry :)

Avis

Meeting neighbors
If their in that bad situation can you afford vet bills not just check up vet visit but what if they have a life long issues?
Unfortunately this is the only fear I have about getting the bird. :cry:

Personally I wouldn´t take the bird (or at least I wouldn´t pay for him),
I was thinking a similar thing. I was wishing there was some way I could get the bird without paying, but I don't think that's possible.

I agree 100%

Thank you all for this. It was really helpful. I'll try my hardest and we'll see what I can do.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Personally after contacting the owner if you do not get results that are needed, I would contact humane society, local parrot rescue or ASPCA. I would also take pictures if possible of the conditions document everything including cage size,cleanliness,water and food. Sadly I've seen this type neglect before and some times the law has to be brought in to educate the owner.

Avis

Meeting neighbors
Small update:
I've looked at everything very thoroughly and the sad truth is that I cannot help the bird by bringing it home. Even if I got the bird for free, the vet bills would just be too high, and I might not have enough space to fit a macaw and a proper enclosure. :sad5:

MacawMom83

Moving in
Real Name
Megan Ibarra
Ok so … I own a pet store that specializes in Avian and Reptiles. I personally would complain, and post reviews with photos. Animal Control can also get involved. As an owner the health and well being for my babies comes first over profit, it always has and because of this we have been very successful. Word of mouth is extremely important in our industry and bringing attention to their neglect may help by either changing their ways or putting them out of business.