• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What noises are my budgies making?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and to keeping birds in general, and I'm interested what my sound my budgie is making. I don't have video of it, but one of my friends recorded it when we were in a middle of a conversation over discord.

Info: My bird is 11-ish weeks old
Behavior: Very aggressive and likes to bite

When he screams, he flaps his feathers when standing in one place, and sometimes when he does this he hops around all over the place

Vocaroo | Voice messageVocaroo | Voice message

(Also, while I'm at it, my budgie has been very aggressive lately towards me, and it prompts to bite me all the time for no reason when my hand is out. I've only had him for about 2 weeks and he was hand trained when I got him. I've been training with him for the past week or so, and hes only been displaying behaviors like this now)

Serin

Sprinting down the street
The sounds and the flapping are normal noises, it usually means the bird wants to fly but can't because it is in a cage, or because it's wing clipped.

Your bird is a girl. Girl budgies are naturally pretty aggressive, and some are worse than others. Their aggression is worst when they enter a hormonal period, which occurs more or less randomly and is indicated by a darkening of their nostrils to a brown color.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Since your budgie is still a baby at 11 weeks of age is this bird eating enough? What are you feeding? I would not worry about aggression at this point.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Since your budgie is still a baby at 11 weeks of age is this bird eating enough? What are you feeding? I would not worry about aggression at this point.
Currently I'm feeding him Vitramix Seedmix (I forgot the name, but the breeder I got my bird from gave me the brand because thats what he feeds his birds) and treat him with millet during training.

Serin

Again, it's not a he but a she, assuming your avatar picture is this bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Jeremy its ok to use what ever gender you want here when referring to your bird. There are no rules for that.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Jeremy its ok to use what ever gender you want here when referring to your bird. There are no rules for that.

I agree with you, Lady Jane, especially since this was such a small fraction of the question. I think we can put the gender part to rest.

Serin

Determining it's sex is important to understanding a bird's behavior and how to manage it throughout its life.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
Determining it's sex is important to understanding a bird's behavior and how to manage it throughout its life.
I agree. I've only had 1 female budgie in my life but have experience with 4 males and she was vastly different behaviour wise. lol Grumpy, stubborn & lazy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This bird is only 11 weeks old. Cere is not the true color until after first molt. Unless you are an expert at sexing baby budgies we really don't know what the gender is.
Secondary to that there has not been a good photo of this budgie posted yet. The poster is mostly concerned about the sounds his bird is making.

Last edited: