• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the wonderful update. It's great how you and Mango have bonded. She/he has trained you well.
Take care and stay safe!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How is your flock doing @Mockinbirdiva ?
They're all doing fine. If you think one little green cheek is noisy.... you should walk in to a room with only three crimson bellies.. I can hear them outside. Then, there's the contact calling with the others across the house. Most of the time it's very quiet but the evenings are fairly noisy until they all get their veggies. Ruby crawls up one side of my body and down the other when I'm cleaning the crimson clan cages, Rocket has been aloof and staying on Astro's cage in the evening until the past couple of weeks he flies to my shoulder at every opportunity and wants more cuddles before lockup ( spring is surely arriving) and refuses to step up to be put back in his cage.... took me a dozen tries last night before he stepped on. I stopped putting Casey on Scarlettes cage when I'm with them... they're trying to much for a bit of hanky panky.... Scarlette is pretty put off about it because now Ruby will climb off me when I'm doing Casey's cage and she mostly helps herself to his food but is also enjoying some mutual preening with Casey. Astro screams when Rocket goes back to his cage ( on his own) during the evening, I don't know why, she doesn't want him to touch her anyway and avoids him. He also helps him self to her food, sits on various perches in her cage and will occasionally fly back to his cage to eat his own pellets and give his rope perch or favorite toy a good rub ( ya know what I mean...). Bob still loves to crawl around under his paper in his own cage or the cage he comes out to in the evening for a special dinner. Drives me crazy that he does this but that's him. He also loves to bang his toys around when he's not under his paper and still bites his leg when I want him to step up... it's the NO I don't want to get on your finger for a couple of minutes and then he'll stick his little foot out and step on..."Oh, ok.. if you insist I will". Henry has been requesting head scratches for the past few months... that will all end when spring is in full force and then I will be a monster that must be eliminated. Such is life with a male zon. Lola, has also been asking for scritches nightly. When I'm really tight on time and want to just clean their papers and give them their nightly cooked food I try to ignore it but she's figured out she can climb down to the opening of her door so I can't reach in and wait for her head scratches. Ok Lola... here you go... I get the message loud and clear. Who can resist a head that needs a good scratch? Oh... and don't walk past her when you're on the phone... she knows it and is going to scream every time. Of course, if I want to get off the phone it's a great way to tell someone I can't hear them and gotta go!!! :D

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thanks for the wonderful update. It's great how you and Mango have bonded. She/he has trained you well.
Take care and stay safe!
Thanks, Iam! Really nice to see you here in the forums. I hope you are your birds are doing well.

You also stay safe!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
They're all doing fine. If you think one little green cheek is noisy.... you should walk in to a room with only three crimson bellies.. I can hear them outside. Then, there's the contact calling with the others across the house. Most of the time it's very quiet but the evenings are fairly noisy until they all get their veggies. Ruby crawls up one side of my body and down the other when I'm cleaning the crimson clan cages, Rocket has been aloof and staying on Astro's cage in the evening until the past couple of weeks he flies to my shoulder at every opportunity and wants more cuddles before lockup ( spring is surely arriving) and refuses to step up to be put back in his cage.... took me a dozen tries last night before he stepped on. I stopped putting Casey on Scarlettes cage when I'm with them... they're trying to much for a bit of hanky panky.... Scarlette is pretty put off about it because now Ruby will climb off me when I'm doing Casey's cage and she mostly helps herself to his food but is also enjoying some mutual preening with Casey. Astro screams when Rocket goes back to his cage ( on his own) during the evening, I don't know why, she doesn't want him to touch her anyway and avoids him. He also helps him self to her food, sits on various perches in her cage and will occasionally fly back to his cage to eat his own pellets and give his rope perch or favorite toy a good rub ( ya know what I mean...). Bob still loves to crawl around under his paper in his own cage or the cage he comes out to in the evening for a special dinner. Drives me crazy that he does this but that's him. He also loves to bang his toys around when he's not under his paper and still bites his leg when I want him to step up... it's the NO I don't want to get on your finger for a couple of minutes and then he'll stick his little foot out and step on..."Oh, ok.. if you insist I will". Henry has been requesting head scratches for the past few months... that will all end when spring is in full force and then I will be a monster that must be eliminated. Such is life with a male zon. Lola, has also been asking for scritches nightly. When I'm really tight on time and want to just clean their papers and give them their nightly cooked food I try to ignore it but she's figured out she can climb down to the opening of her door so I can't reach in and wait for her head scratches. Ok Lola... here you go... I get the message loud and clear. Who can resist a head that needs a good scratch? Oh... and don't walk past her when you're on the phone... she knows it and is going to scream every time. Of course, if I want to get off the phone it's a great way to tell someone I can't hear them and gotta go!!! :D
Wow!!! Sounds like you REALLY have your hands full! I can't even begin to imagine managing that flock. I take my hat off to you.

It's actually a little comforting to know all of the other bird people out there are going through the same springtime rituals that I am going through with Mango. I feel really bad for these birds when they must feel so frustrated and confused.

It really is true that some birds don't seem to like it when their human in on the phone. This gets Mango all fired up as well. She just won't stand for it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow!!! Sounds like you REALLY have your hands full! I can't even begin to imagine managing that flock. I take my hat off to you.

It's actually a little comforting to know all of the other bird people out there are going through the same springtime rituals that I am going through with Mango. I feel really bad for these birds when they must feel so frustrated and confused.

It really is true that some birds don't seem to like it when their human in on the phone. This gets Mango all fired up as well. She just won't stand for it.
Boy do I! It's a lot of work. The older I get the tougher it is physically. I sleep like a rock at night... nothing can wake me up unless I hear something go on with either one of the dogs or a bird and that's rare. The beauty of it for me is that none of my birds make one noise until I'm up even when I sleep late. The only bird I have with a strong hormonal surge is Henry. It's an ugly time of year I dread with him. The others are all manageable, the boys will all hump a favorite toy throughout the year, the girls ( the two crimson girls) would allow Casey to mate with them throughout the year too if I didn't keep an eye on them while they're out and allowed to spend time with him individually. Astro, will rub her vent on her perches throughout the year... I've never seen the crimson girls do this. Astro will also ALWAYS crouch down low on the open door that swings down any time I want to pet her head or even stand there and look at her. Just touching her head will elicit a mating invitation so sadly I touch her very little. None of my females have ever laid eggs and I'd like to keep it that way. I do firmly believe it's frustrating and unnatural for them to not go through reproduction process. We can only deal with it accordingly with what we feed, activity and lighting.

I don't know what it is with the phone.. radio frequency they pick up on? I've never talked on the phone with a bird on my shoulder so I don't know how they would react to it. I will say... both of my zons can be so quiet. But walk past them while you're on the phone and all heck breaks loose. Lola screams and Henry follows suit. My sister gets a kick out of Henry when he'll do his trumpet sound "Doot da dooooo!!!!" He has a really cute valley girl "Helluuuuuooo" amidst other things he might pop out with when I'm on the phone with her but I don't stay around them long enough because I can't hear what she's saying on the phone. It's never boring for sure!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, Iam! Really nice to see you here in the forums. I hope you are your birds are doing well.

You also stay safe!
Thanks. Doing OK. Just getting bored. :bored::bored:

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Wowza - what a great update!!!! How far Mango has come!!! :fly2:

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I have a conure that looks exactly like your Mango, his name is also Mango.

I was told that he wasn't a pineapple because his beak was dark, I don't remember what he his mutation is. He's still afraid of me.

JewelAngel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I think you should get her!!! You will love her!!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
And now that spring has sprung, I sometimes think I would like to take our relationship to the next level, but my human seems to be very resistant to that. Oh well.
Not so happy hormone season to all :lol:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OOPS lol I am glad he got her!!! I just got here yesterday and forgot to check dates on things!
Haha, you have 66 pages to catch up on! It's been quite the journey

Colibri

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
@cab124 I read this whole thread over the past week and am so impressed with the progress you and Mango have made and your dedication and patience toward her! Great job! I laughed out loud when you describe her "Mango tango" because my girl GCC does the same go-away dance! They can be such little turds!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
@cab124 I read this whole thread over the past week and am so impressed with the progress you and Mango have made and your dedication and patience toward her! Great job! I laughed out loud when you describe her "Mango tango" because my girl GCC does the same go-away dance! They can be such little turds!
Wow, I am always so blown away when someone actually reads through that entire thread!!! I am going to have to go back and read through some of it sometime just to see what that is like, and to remember the journey!

Seriously? Your bird also does the Mango Tango??!! That is so funny!!

Do you interpret it to mean “go away” as I do?

does your bird do either of these...

If I approach her cage in the evening while she is sleeping, she makes these clicking sounds with her beak as if to say, “Do you hear this sharp beak clicking? That is what you are going to have to deal with if you don’t get away from my bed!!”

If I get right up to close to her while she is sitting on top of her cage resting and talk to in a soft calming voice, she will make an occasional short chirp which seems to mean, “I like that.”

Also, when she is happy and excited, she will run her beak along the bars of her cage to go “clank, clank, clank.”

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I have a conure that looks exactly like your Mango, his name is also Mango.

I was told that he wasn't a pineapple because his beak was dark, I don't remember what he his mutation is. He's still afraid of me.
i have always wondered if Mango is a pineapple, but I am not sure.

Do you know that your bird is a male?

Why is he afraid?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, right now poor Mango is really suffering with hormones. She doesn't want to be bothered and she is sitting in her cage rubbing her vent on her toys and making noises as she flutters her wings. She looks miserable.

So sad. In this respect, I feel so bad for companion birds. Not being able to reproduce is so unnatural for them.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow, right now poor Mango is really suffering with hormones. She doesn't want to be bothered and she is sitting in her cage rubbing her vent on her toys and making noises as she flutters her wings. She looks miserable.

So sad. In this respect, I feel so bad for companion birds. Not being able to reproduce is so unnatural for them.

Time to switch things around in her cage and more foraging opportunities. Exchange different toys for the ones you see her rub her vent on. Theres the vendor sales going on so you might look into something (s) new for Mango!