• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is this birds age? Google isn't helping..

Linnebug

Moving in
Real Name
Linne
I got a few budgies just 6 days ago, in fact 9 budgies. :swoon:
He was moving out of his home and was getting rid of all his birds, there was 20 he said.

He didn't know their age or where they were from. He had bought them from a foreign guy who spoke our language (finnish) very little, and the words he did speak we're distorted by his accent.

He told me that the pack is approximately 12-8 months old, and that I can believe.
Some seem to be getting their adult cere-color, are active, some are getting their first molt.
They seem to be over all fine.

However this one kid bothers me (I named him Pocky, since I'm a little unsure of his/her gender, i think it's a she though).
She's tiny, has a (healed) cut on her cere, she doesn't chatter or make noise like the rest, isn't as active or playful like the others and is very afraid of hands compared to others.
She pretty much either sleeps or preens herself.

With this i'd be okay and cool with, some are very shy in the beginning, but she seems (to me) have under developed wings compared to other. They are missing the longer feathers and are very tiny in general.
Her tail feathers are also missing, pretty much completely.

It's otherwise okay, she doesn't seem to get in to fights (except when others try to befriend her and she's just really not digging it) and have a couple friends preening and ''smooching'' her every now and then. There's also a fella that seems to sometimes protect her, awwh :swoon:

^^^^ her today.

^^^ her the day after she got here, on the left. :sad3:She seemed to be in a bad shape, at least to me. I've tried to keep an eye on her feeding and spray her once a day with warm water, since she seems to molt a little.

The tail really bothers me. She also likes to hang on the walls, but i think it's her still being shy with us. She's been spending more time on the perches, and today ate a treat-stick from my hand.

^^^ compared to buddies. Again, she's the one on the left.

I feel like she may have been sick or something, but seems to be getting better and more active now. :)

I just refuse to believe she is 8-12 months, how could she be so under developed compared to others?
I've been wondering if she's one of the many birds that are still being sold under the proposed age limit, since i'm already her third home yet she's so tiny... :sad3:

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
She might have been grabbed and had her wings clipped. Birds drop their tailfeathers when panicked, I had it happen with a lovebird, and Ciri came to me in a similar state as Pocky. All you can do is make sure she's eating right and watch to see if any other bird might be plucking her.

Linnebug

Moving in
Real Name
Linne
She is a bit hesitant towards the others, she doesn't seek their attention on a purpose and is picky regarding the birds she lets near her, so it may be that she's been picked.:sad3:
I'll try and keep an eye, like before.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
She is a bit hesitant towards the others, she doesn't seek their attention on a purpose and is picky regarding the birds she lets near her, so it may be that she's been picked.:sad3:
I'll try and keep an eye, like before.
It's alright, deep breaths. None of this was your fault, and you're doing a great thing by trying to help Pocky and the Gang. Birds are like people; sometimes even the closest of friends get into horrible fights. She's not in any pain, and her feathers will grow in again. I know what you and your new burd pals is hard, but you'll get through it. Just hang in there and do your best!
:hug8:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
First, thank you for rescuing this group of Budgies. And Pocky is a beautiful girl, as are the rest.

Also, have they been to a vet yet? An avian vet may be able to confirm an estimated age if you’re unsure. Plus, they’ll all get checkups and you can find out whether they’re all really healthy and catch anything earlier rather than later if they’re sick.

As for her wings, they were clipped. Loads of people clip their birds thinking it will help prevent escapes and such. But birds are made to fly. It is a way for them to get great exercise. Certain precautions just need to be taken to prevent escapes, even if the bird is clipped. So I recommend letting her and the others’ wings grow out. And also, her tail feathers will most likely grow back in time.

I hope to hear more about your flock as you hopefully make progress with them (and specifically Pocky). You have done these Budgies a great favor in taking them in - you gave them a soft place to land. If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Linnebug

Moving in
Real Name
Linne
It's alright, deep breaths. None of this was your fault, and you're doing a great thing by trying to help Pocky and the Gang. Birds are like people; sometimes even the closest of friends get into horrible fights. She's not in any pain, and her feathers will grow in again. I know what you and your new burd pals is hard, but you'll get through it. Just hang in there and do your best!
:hug8:
Thank you so much, you are always so supportive! I was fairly scared when she got here, she looked very tired and ill to my eye.
Also, I giggled a bit at the ''Pocky and the gang'', it's kinda catchy. :laughing2:

I was having my usual mindset, questioning is this she will be like this forever, if she's sick and dying and all that.
But just now as I was typing this, I saw her doing ''kissies'' with this other bird that seems to be her buddy, and she's finally taken some interest in a toy. :swoon:
:yahoo:

First, thank you for rescuing this group of Budgies. And Pocky is a beautiful girl, as are the rest.

Also, have they been to a vet yet? An avian vet may be able to confirm an estimated age if you’re unsure. Plus, they’ll all get checkups and you can find out whether they’re all really healthy and catch anything earlier rather than later if they’re sick.

As for her wings, they were clipped. Loads of people clip their birds thinking it will help prevent escapes and such. But birds are made to fly. It is a way for them to get great exercise. Certain precautions just need to be taken to prevent escapes, even if the bird is clipped. So I recommend letting her and the others’ wings grow out. And also, her tail feathers will most likely grow back in time.

I hope to hear more about your flock as you hopefully make progress with them (and specifically Pocky). You have done these Budgies a great favor in taking them in - you gave them a soft place to land. If you have any questions, just ask. :)

She's very cute and fragile-like, there's another bird about her size and with same colors, they are also beginning to molt at the same time, so I've been wondering if they're related.
They haven't been to a vet for all I know, they are missing the id-bracelet thingies as well. not sure what they are called in english

I've been trying to find avian vets here in Finland, but damn are they under a rock. The only ones that are reputable (or so I've heard) are down in Helsinki, which is a 600km drive. :sad9:
So far I've only found one clinic in my town that has avian vets, but I've had two of my friends go there and from what i saw and heard, i'd never bring my babies there.

The other friend is a cat owner, the other a dog. To put it short:
They were both falsely diagnosed, the cat was given unnecessary medication, double the amount that is usually given,
it wound up getting chronic coli and chronic infections, but is mainly fine now. Chronically sick, but better now.
The dog was also falsely diagnosed, and later had to be put down.

It's been horrible to see friends go through so much financial loss and heart ache over half-assed diagnoses there, so before i manage to find people that have had good experiences with their avian vets, i'm saying no to that clinic.
I live fairly close to the border of Sweden and I've heard there's a good pet store + clinic that also treats avians so I've been thinking of going there. My swedish is bent, though.:laughing2:
I'm really curious of their age and health in general, though I can guess some of their age by ceres as some are turning blue. :swoon:
People still get their wings clipped? I seriously thought that the practice has been 6 ft under ground for a good while, it's so unethical. :mad2:
I haven't heard of anyone anymore being pro-clipping in Europe, but then again, i do come across people in social media that want the bird to please their ''owner of a tiny colorful waddley penguin'' aesthetic.
It upsets me, they are not meant for your ego-jerking or aesthetic, they are not a plushie that moves around and you get views on youtube with.. ugh.

But thank you, I actually prefer that they've been clipped, rather that she'd gotten in to a god awful fight or would've been otherwise startled.
I didn't even consider that they've been clipped, it didn't seem a likely idea.
I'll try and make updates of the gang and all that, but if i won't have the time, I'll still be lurking in the shadows haha :cool7:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I haven't heard of anyone anymore being pro-clipping in Europe,
I hope it Will one day be 6 foot under the ground, but in the Netherlands it is still really popular!

These birds landed in the right spot, congrats!!

Linnebug

Moving in
Real Name
Linne
I hope it Will one day be 6 foot under the ground, but in the Netherlands it is still really popular!

Thank you! They are already such a joy to be with.:swoon:

That's unfortunate to hear, I can't see why it would in any way be considered ethical and ''for the birds own good'' as some say.
It's pretty much the same to raise a human child with perfectly working legs in a wheelchair.
In Finland our biggest bird rights organization is working towards making it illegal, as well as keeping your bird in one of those tiny round ~vintage~ cages.
I'm hoping something would finally be done, since things usually tend to snowball in Europe. One thing gets il-/legal, the next country follows. :D

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera

Ditto! You seems to really care for and love these birds already. :) I’m sure that with lots of love and attention, these birds will start to settle in well and will one day consider you part of their flock!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you! They are already such a joy to be with.:swoon:

That's unfortunate to hear, I can't see why it would in any way be considered ethical and ''for the birds own good'' as some say.
It's pretty much the same to raise a human child with perfectly working legs in a wheelchair.
In Finland our biggest bird rights organization is working towards making it illegal, as well as keeping your bird in one of those tiny round ~vintage~ cages.
I'm hoping something would finally be done, since things usually tend to snowball in Europe. One thing gets il-/legal, the next country follows. :D
That is great! From all I have heard Sweden and Finland(have never heard anything specific about Norway) are doing amazing on especially bird care! It is great your country is fighting for better bird welfare:swoon: I am over here hoping the Netherlands Will follow:p

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow - NINE! :) An entire flock, that is so wonderful that you were able to take them into your loving home. Congratulations.