• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the best type of cage for a lovebird?

BudgieBirbs

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! So, I'm currently the owner of 2 male budgies, however, when I'm older, I'm planning to get a single lovebird. I've been doing a little bit of research here and there, and I was wondering what cage would be best suited for a single lovebird. Like, should it be a flight cage (Long), or just a tall cage? (I'm new to this website, so I apologize if this was already asked, or if I'm doing this incorrectly)

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
If you can accommodate a flight cage, it would be healthier for a flighted bird regardless of species.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wider is always better than taller for birds :) The way I remember that is that birds fly like an airplane, not a helicopter. They need horizontal space :)

BudgieBirbs

Checking out the neighborhood
Though, would a play top cage be alright? I think the Youtuber "Parrots & Me" has one for her lovebird, Freya

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Wider is better, but you can find ways to get the bird to use the lower parts of the cage. Something with a play top is awesome, to incorporate into the out-of-cage play area.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally prefer flat top cages that don't come with a playstand. I add my own stuff up top :) They never use the default ones!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Wider is always better than taller for birds :) The way I remember that is that birds fly like an airplane, not a helicopter. They need horizontal space :)
Tell that to Sherbie. :rofl::rofl: She does what she wants... including hovering like a darned helicopter sometimes.