• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Is On My New Cockatiel?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t know that that little thing is near the cere, but he needs to be seen by an avian vet. How long has the little thing been there?

TurquoiseBirb

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Blake W.
I'm planning on bringing him, all the vets are packed at the moment so im hoping to get some type of answer in the meantime. And annoyingly , i have NO idea how long. He came from one of my bfs clients that couldn't care for him anymore. I got him literally yestersay .

TurquoiseBirb

Real Name
Blake W.
20181115_223708.jpg I have looked EVERYWHERE to try and find out what this little white thing is above his cere, and he wont let me get a good look at it. I don't know how long he's had it ; I actually got him yesterday from some folks who couldnt care for him anymore. Also does he possibly have mites? His eyes look pretty bald to me. 20181115_174420.jpg 20181115_174637.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The area in front of his eye looks OK to me. Don't know what the white thing is. Could be a cyst or ??? Since he is new to you I would recommend taking him to the vet for a new bird check up. Did the previous owners have any vet records for him? How old is he and what is his name?
Thanks for taking him into your home.

TurquoiseBirb

Real Name
Blake W.
We are bringing him to the vet, they're just all full so im trying to get some type of answer here. Sadly, the past owners did not tell us ANYTHING its definitly not a cyst, its more like a wart or something like that. No idea how old, and they just called him "The Bird"

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I'd give him a bath and see if it washes off. To me it just looks like a clump of dried urate. Is he housed with another bird who may have pooped on him?

Or maybe a drop of plaster or something.

TurquoiseBirb

Real Name
Blake W.
I got him yesterday so I dont know any of his history . Not even how old . They called him "the bird" but I dont belive he was housed with any other birds though, and he probably would've itched it off at this point.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hmmm maybe a calcified cyst?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don’t know what it is, but I hope the vet visit goes well. When is it? He’s awfully cute!

D

Deleted member 29421

If its not something that washes off, I think Id have the vet look at it to rule out avian pox.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
If its not something that washes off, I think Id have the vet look at it to rule out avian pox.

I just learned about this after I googled it!
Wow... there was a photo on Wikipedia, so I copied it for you @TurquoiseBirb - Sure hope it's not that! AVIPOXVIRUS FROM WIKIPEDIA.jpg

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Could be food, could be a booger, or something else entirely. Would recommend giving him a bath to see if it loosens up at all.