• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does your bird call you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A lot of birds use their own name to refer to their owners. This is sometimes just a quirk of bird communication, though, and doesn't necessarily mean the bird thinks you have the same name. It's just how they communicate. Some autistic kids do the same thing. If you say "How are you today, Tommy?" the kid will also say "How are you day, Tommy?" This is true even if the kid knows you are "Aunt Janine" or "Uncle George." Temple Grandin has done enough research to amply demonstrate that animals and autistic kids have certain cognitive and communicative traits or patterns in common. BUT,

Some parrots are able to refer to their owners by a name or nickname. My Hahn's, Max, calls me "Mom." "Hey Mom?" is something I hear frequently when he tries to get my attention (although it sometimes sounds like "Hey 'om"). My B&G, Elvis, calls me by the nickname of her former owner's wife. Zoe used to call me "Angel" although I haven't heard that in a while. A couple of times recently I have thought she's also called me by the name of Elvis's previous owner's wife, which would mean she picked it up from Elvis.

What does your bird call you?

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Oh my I would love for any of my guys to call me a name (well a nice one). :hehe:

I usually get a contact call from Solo, Bobo does the best with a "Helllloooo" everybody else just squawks for food/attention no words for me.:rolleyes:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is SQUAWK a name??? :D Seriously he calls me Tika. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is SQUAWK a name??? :D Seriously he calls me Tika. :)
:D LOL, if it is, maybe CHIRP is too. In that case, I'd have to include Corbit and Bella :p

Yeah, a lot of time they'll use their own name.

Deej

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Deena
Popcorn has named me Hi Baby. Whenever she wants me she calls for Hi baby. :hehe:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Emmett will yell out "whatcha doing?" When he wants something.

The other 2 don't care enough to call me cause they are busy.

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
some of my birds call me mommy and others yell there own names or what what come here

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Kei calls me Peekaboo.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My friend's bird's say "I love you mommy!" I have been trying to get Holly to say it, but so far only "HEY" "WHAT?" WHAT CHA DOIN?" And of course.....
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!:excited1::rofl:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
So far Michael only calls for me in bird. I hope that that changes though.

Matt

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Honu says "Hey hun?" when he's looking for me. Definitely picked that up from hubby and me looking for one another.

Tango usually calls me "Tang" or "Buddy" but does occasionally call "Hey butthead!" :rolleyes:

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
Soto tends to call me 'babe' the others that have yet to call me anything

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I guess you can say Gumby calls me "Step up"
its the only words she knows, and uses it for everything, but 89% of the time if she sees me Even if i'm walking out of my room going towards the kitchen - she can see me from her cage in the living room- she'll be playing or preening and she'll holler "STEP UP" to get my attention

she used to say it over and over for at least 20 mins through out the day when we first got her. But now its mainly just when she wants me lol

oh and every time she says step up it is NEVER because she actually wants to step up when I first got her I thought it was - man she would bite me til I moved my hand, its just her way of talking to me not her telling me she wants to step up

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My Umbies that live with me:

Bokka will just Squawk if he wants me, although he says many things:rolleyes::cool:

Opa says "HELLO" when he wants either me or my mom. We need to get him to call us something different, so we know what and who he wants:rolleyes:

Louie says in a very feminine and soft voice "Louie":heart::heart::heart: He by far has the cutest voice out of the 'toos.

Reo calls his favorite people "Such a good bird", or for short "Goooood bird":hehe:

Moby doesnt talk.. I havent heard him peep a single word:huh:

Emilou (the only female I have with me), Or just Emi will say "Hi Babies" to everyone. Or a loud spontaneous hyper "HI"

Big Mac will say some things, but never to really call us. As like John has said, does SQUAWK count? lol

Beeba mom's M2 will say a LOT. I personally have no idea what she says:hehe:

Pua my RLA will often call me by her name "Hi PooPoo"

Gra my scarlet macaw would say "MAMA", or her name, to call for me. Or she'll laugh with her name in the laugh "GRA-hahahahaha":heart::heart::heart::heart:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Percy will call me mom unless he is mad and then it is not repeatable

Little General will call by my daughter's name he wants her

Shammy copied Percy and it is not repeatable

Baby say step up when she wants me note she will not step up