• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think of this taming method?

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I found this while looking for other methods of taming my pigeon, as the "patience" way is not working in terms of how tame i want him to be:
What you want and what's in the birds' best interests are two very different things.

Those are not birds whom have conquered their fears, those are birds who have realized their signals of fear are being ignored and have stopped trying - learned helplessness.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
This "training" method teaches birds to do what the larger, more physically stronger human wants it to do without allowing the bird to form any emotional bond with the bird except fear and subordination. This is the totally wrong way to "tame" a bird.

Parrots live in flocks which are held together by mutual trust and need. To win over a bird emotionally, intellectually and physically, you need to show the bird you are trustworthy and to treat it the way you want it to treat you: with respect, trust and love.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The technical term for what you are seeing is "learned helplessness".

Ken died a number of years ago now. Can't say I miss him because I don't. He set back training with his outdated methods.