• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I saw a Great Blue Heron out on the lake today! This lake is about half a mile from my house.

Trying to get photos of the stuff I have around me, though the Black Bear that lives about 3 miles from me you'll just have to take my word for it :lol:

PXL_20220619_145947336~2.jpg PXL_20220619_150043211.MP~2.jpg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Don't click of you don't like spiders!
This guy kept harassing me at lunch and I almost ate him cause he somehow ended up on my sandwich :bored: thankfully I noticed him.
20220620_141626.jpg 20220620_141648.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Please share pics or interesting information you have of any wildlife that is normal for you to see where you live.

I really love the squirrel pics (because they are cute and I have never seen one in real life) and many of the other pics of birds and animals that don't live in my country but I just realised (after hearing about Civet cats being a problem for @SumitaSinh) that it may be quite educational and interesting to hear about and see what animals others here regularly see and deal with in their yards or local areas.
I don’t want any pictures but! There a bunny family that visits my garden! They love to steal strawberries and tomatoes.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Wild turkey thinking that I am chasing her with my car.
20220620_074828.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Ooh that's so cool! I'd love to see a wild turkey.
We have a bunch of them in our area. I forgot to put them on my list.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I forgot too, but be careful what you wish for, April. The first time I saw one I was a teen & it followed me home menacingly. It was nesting season. Most recently, I saw one from the safety of my car strutting about a field.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I forgot too, but be careful what you wish for, April. The first time I saw one I was a teen & it followed me home menacingly. It was nesting season. Most recently, I saw one from the safety of my car strutting about a field.
That's suprising that he/she followed you home. I've been on the receiving end of an angry daddy Canadian Goose protecting his eggs but he stopped chasing me after he bit me.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Looks like a type of jumper? :) I didn't realize y'all had those, too.
I believe different species of jumpers live most places humans do, there are something like 5000 different jumping spiders. When I lived in Denmark I saw as many as I do in my home here in QLD :) We are an arachnid friendly household. I love spiders! We even name a few we have come to know better who live around the place.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Gorgeous mallards.

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
From what I'm seeing in the thread, everyone lives in such pretty green places! I do not. I live in the desert, where coyotes and javalinas live right outside my door :) I don't have any pictures (good ones, at least), because I don't make a habit of going up to them.

And, fun fact, I would rather face off with a coyote than a javelina. They're big, hairy, smelly, angry, wild desert boars, and I wouldn't recommend letting yourself get near them at all.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
From what I'm seeing in the thread, everyone lives in such pretty green places! I do not. I live in the desert, where coyotes and javalinas live right outside my door :) I don't have any pictures (good ones, at least), because I don't make a habit of going up to them.

And, fun fact, I would rather face off with a coyote than a javelina. They're big, hairy, smelly, angry, wild desert boars, and I wouldn't recommend letting yourself get near them at all.
Deserts can be amazing! Some nest creatures found there too. I'm going to have to look up javelina myself @

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Last edited:

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
Just looked up a javalina! Wow! Deserts are pretty too, just differently. :) And there are some other AA members in deserts.
Don't get me wrong, I love the desert! The animals that live here are just a little mean and hardened from all the hot days in the sun. This is a list of animals I constantly encounter:
  • Javalinas, angry wild hogs. DON'T leave food out for them at night, they'll dig through your trash cans.
  • Coyotes, they just look like dogs. Don't really bother people that much, but they do go after dogs and outside pets. Really not much of a threat otherwise.
  • Scorpions of all kinds. My house is pretty infested, I see one at least once a week.
  • Horny toads, which are a kind of lizard and are actually quite cute. When you were a kid in my area you would try to catch them all the time.
  • Jackrabbits that are really lean and scrappy, not very cute.
  • And finally, the 'beloved' diamondback rattlesnake, which we don't see too often but that we know are there. They aren't as awful as most people think, and they do give fair warning with their tails. Getting bit is a drag, but I have a hospital near my home, at least.
Any other desert members? I know there are plenty other desert animals that I don't see where I live.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh now that is intriguing! I'm going to have learn about those @ would a great thing to get rid of pesky pantry moths

Last edited: