• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I was within 15 feet of the vultures. I apparently didn't seem threatening. But I drove up slowly and pulled over a few feet away. The other car was going fairly fast and their road kill was just about 1 foot off the road.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I love how pretty moths are :xflove:
20230520_090921.jpg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
A little black racer hanging out under my window AC unit trying to hunt my bird feeders. Nerd.

IMG_6684.jpeg

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have a few squirells turn up in our garden but there is one that is really cheeky knocks on the window or the door if your sitting in the conservatory and she wont stop until you go out and feed her.
About a month ago she went missing we have seen her pretty much daily for a few years but nothing.
A couple of weeks ago Tracy saw her again she wasnt her normal confident self was knocking on the window and running away,knocking then running away ?
So Tracy gets some nuts to feed her opens the door and she comes from behind the flower pot followed by the head of a kit :)
She has been turning up each day for her nuts and is clearly still feeding her kits, yes there are two of them, we see all three early morning late evening.
Cant get pics mum is very protective of course and not as confident with us as normal, it's nice she is bringing them here with her while she eats, she will give them milk for 10-12 weeks hopefully will get pics at some point.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Those babies should be pretty old already. I thought squirrels give birth in Feb or March.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I saw a raccoon on our backyard fence yesterday and again today but this time closer. I have a feeling they could be a senior. Their tail isn't too fluffy and they walk kind if hunched over like they have back problems. Still it was cool to see. 20230521_174010.jpg 20230521_174014.jpg

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I saw a raccoon on our backyard fence yesterday and again today but this time closer. I have a feeling they could be a senior. Their tail isn't too fluffy and they walk kind if hunched over like they have back problems. Still it was cool to see. View attachment 429518 View attachment 429519
That’s a normal raccoon posture. I don’t know why, but if you see them standing on four legs they’re usually in that “Halloween Cat” position.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Gosh, I wonder why my bird feeders are emptying so quickly :meh:

I had to open the window to shoo him off. Tapping the glass just made him look at me like "did you need something?"

Attachments

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Found this egg. Unsure what species. I hope it fledged!

IMG_0591.jpeg

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I saw a pigeon strutting about, cooing & wooing. He’s clearly the cock of the block & he knows it! He was puffing out his chest & fanning his tail. :xflove:

They’re eating the grass seed from where the grass died this past winter.

IMG_0593.jpeg

IMG_0600.jpeg
IMG_0599.jpeg
IMG_0604.jpeg
IMG_0606.jpeg
IMG_0608.jpeg

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I just saw what I assume was giant pregnant raccoon. She came right up to our back door and we saw her climb around to our deck. She wasn't very nimble, due her size I suspect. She couldn't climb a tree or make her escape off our deck easily like other raccoons have in the past. It was too dark to get a picture.

It was kind of funny because my mom and I were talking about a neighbour who feeds everything :shifty: and this raccoon face is just staring at us all of a sudden! :hehepink: I get the temptation to enacted with nature but I think you do more harm than good. As animals more comfortable living in neighborhoods, they should still have a healthy fear of people. When you rob them of that there more and more chances of bad or dangerous interactions between people and wildlife :sad1:

rabbitic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tommy (they/he)
right outside my window, we get tons of blue jays and robins. there's actually a very large fairy ring that they like to hang around, it's all very magical. lamarr loves to sit and listen to the sounds. speaking of starlings, i actually saw two starlings outside that same window fighting the other day! i'm sure glad lamarr didn't see that, lol. he needs good role models!! other than that, we get a lot of rabbits, squirrels, and foxes. i think my username makes it pretty obvious, but i always get really excited to see the rabbits. as it warms up, there'll be more frogs and turtles though and that's when it really gets exciting.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I love herps. I’m in a city now and haven’t seen one free in ages, though. There used to be so many in northern mi.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We get one of the Kits here every day now no sign of mum or the other kit. 20230527_125521.jpg 20230527_125524.jpg 20230527_125527.jpg 20230527_125533.jpg
We havent seen mum or the other kit since last Thursday, this little one we have called Snow turned up Friday crying same Saturday and Sunday but turned up Monday and Today and ate and drank no crying.
We think mum left snow here as she knew he/she would get fed.
I am a bit gutted as i have known mum for 8 years she used to take food from my hand is what it is.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Last night as I was headed out to go to work, I saw a small garter snake on my back patio. It was maybe 1-1.5 feet. Probably from last years brood ( not sure what to call young snakes that are live born, hatchling isn't appropriate). Sorry no pictures. It was fairly dark and it was fast. A couple weeks ago I saw the shed of the larger one that visits my pond. Probably this one's parent.