• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
This little lizard is called a Green Anole. He’s not green at the moment because it’s colder here now, and he’s scared because he managed to find his way to my garage!
View attachment 419017

I hoped to convince him that my garage was not really in his best interest. I didn’t want to scare him by picking him up, so I brought a branch in hoping he would climb on.

View attachment 419018
And he did!!
View attachment 419019
So I gingerly carried our hero out to my back yard and placed his branch among the shrubs and trees.
View attachment 419020
View attachment 419021
Quick thinking. I line your technique! Much safer for the lil guy.

feeldaluvsmiley.gif

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
This little lizard is called a Green Anole. He’s not green at the moment because it’s colder here now, and he’s scared because he managed to find his way to my garage!
View attachment 419017

I hoped to convince him that my garage was not really in his best interest. I didn’t want to scare him by picking him up, so I brought a branch in hoping he would climb on.

View attachment 419018
And he did!!
View attachment 419019
So I gingerly carried our hero out to my back yard and placed his branch among the shrubs and trees.
View attachment 419020
View attachment 419021
Yay! We have another hero! Awesome creature!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
My squirrels are filled/filling out!

I have a huge one we are calling Pie Plate.
View attachment 418503

A smaller chunky brown one called Muffin Top
View attachment 418507

A grey one I call Cookie
View attachment 418508

And a black one that hangs out with Cookie called Dough Boy (pretty sure they are involved with each other to some degree)
View attachment 418509
Aren't those black ones COOL!! 1st saw them in Rockford, IL, then we had a couple here. Always breathless when I see that mutation!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Tiny wren :swoon:
20221222_154544.jpg 20221222_154521.jpg 20221222_154508.jpg
Little guy who somehow hopped into my shoe, and I almost squished! See if you can spot him in the first pic :roflmao:
20221222_185748.jpg 20221222_185805.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
An unknown small dude, Pie Plate the Squirrel, and a pair of cardinals :)

PXL_20221224_153446549.jpg PXL_20221224_153343014.jpg PXL_20221224_153337697.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They are a common winter yard bird in my area - I usually have several wandering the yard.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Wow. Look at that snow. I haven't seen snow like that in 12 years. Makes me homesick for Ohio...a little. Merry Christmas!
LOL-- now I KNOW that you must be one card shy of a deck!!! [again LOL].. We're LIVING HERE and have to deal with the ice, snow, blowing, cold... frozen pipes, black ice... I won't go on! :confused: CAN'T WAIT to move on to a warmer, less humid area!!! H E L P !!!
DON'T want a repeat of these last few days..

Last edited by a moderator:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
LOL-- now I KNOW that you must be one card shy of a deck!!! [again LOL].. We're LIVING HERE and have to deal with the ice, snow, blowing, cold... frozen pipes, black ice... I won't go on! :confused: CAN'T WAIT to move on to a warmer, less humid area!!! H E L P !!!
DON'T want a repeat of these last few days...
She said a little. Not enough to move her crazy self back.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
LOL-- so true... I'd like to get to know her a little better!! Hopefully when we move that direction! :joyful:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a few hours ago around dawn I was outside in the garden tying up some sunflowers, etc that had gotten top heavy and were leaning too far over. I was working crouched down by the fence and suddenly I noticed this guy had come in silently and was standing less than 3 feet away from me on the other side of my fence. If I'd taken my camera out with me I could have gotten pics of his eyelashes.
So I ran in for the camera but he'd moved away and was having a bugle contest with a male across the road. I could hear female elk contact calls across the road too. I was surprised this guy didn't have a harem yet. I apparently wasn't his type.

View attachment 412950

View attachment 412951
Woah! My gosh you seriously live the coolest life! :heart: . I absolutely adore Elk I'd give anything to see one that close let alone a magnificent Bull like that.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been going to Richmond Park a bit more recently and have seen a lot of deer. I was really hoping to see red kites, buzzards and hawks but all we've seen are jackdaws and crows. At least I've taught my city girl colleague the difference between them haha

Fallow bucks and does
View attachment 416295 View attachment 416296 View attachment 416297

Red deer stag
View attachment 416294

Photos are a bit grainy because it's nearing the end of the breeding season and the males are still a bit lairy. I don't want to get charged!
Oooh! I just love Red Stags so much! They are just so gorgeous and magnificently majestic :heart:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
DON'T want a repeat of these last few days...
I've been in Southern California for almost 12 years. Believe me, it's easier to keep warm than to cool off. Especially when it's over 105 degrees every day for weeks on end. You get tired of nothing but the color brown. No "new green" in the Spring. You know, that vibrant, glorious green that comes poking up through the snow? My favorite! And there are no brilliant fall colors making the trees look like they're on fire! But, you don't have to drive in blizzards...you just have Santa Ana's...wind at 40-50mph all day, every day, for sometimes up to a full week.
She said a little. Not enough to move her crazy self back.
I'm looking for a house in WV! But only bcuz it's the only State we can afford to buy one in!
LOL-- so true... I'd like to get to know her a little better!! Hopefully when we move that direction! :joyful:
It'll probably be as I'm moving East with my luck! But it would be so cool to meet you!
Woah! My gosh you seriously live the coolest life! :heart: . I absolutely adore Elk I'd give anything to see one that close let alone a magnificent Bull like that.
When we stayed at some BLM land near the Grand Canyon we had elk walking through our campsite every day. And we had the whole place to ourselves!
1672076301780.jpg 1672076319522.jpg 1672076333858.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been in Southern California for almost 12 years. Believe me, it's easier to keep warm than to cool off. Especially when it's over 105 degrees every day for weeks on end. You get tired of nothing but the color brown. No "new green" in the Spring. You know, that vibrant, glorious green that comes poking up through the snow? My favorite! And there are no brilliant fall colors making the trees look like they're on fire! But, you don't have to drive in blizzards...you just have Santa Ana's...wind at 40-50mph all day, every day, for sometimes up to a full week.

I'm looking for a house in WV! But only bcuz it's the only State we can afford to buy one in!

It'll probably be as I'm moving East with my luck! But it would be so cool to meet you!

When we stayed at some BLM land near the Grand Canyon we had elk walking through our campsite every day. And we had the whole place to ourselves!
View attachment 420008 View attachment 420009 View attachment 420010
Oooh look at them! So freaking cool :heart:
That Spike is so flipping adorable.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@April I wonder how that spike buck scratches his back: (really just wanted to send you a bonus elk pic), This taken just outside my garden in Sept 2016.

View attachment 420013
Awww oh my goodness! Talk about a magical moment :heart: who needs a back scratcher when you carry your own around lol