• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What animals are in your yard or local region?

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a little red squirrel that showed up this summer. He/she seems to be the only one; I've never seen one in this part of my neighborhood even though we have tons of bigger gray squirrels. I love this little guy so much! My neighbors and I always look out for him; he makes the rounds in the morning and stops outside each of our windows :)

1672713018850.png

1672713036303.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Found a frog dead in the pond and I cant work out why :(
Found a gecko stuck badly in some cobwebs with a huge belly bulge and was not able to save him :(
Caught a diseased rabbit in the yard and took it to the vet to be euthanised

Been a pretty unpleasant day today :/

Spiceopods

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Spicy Isopods System
We have, around the pond in our back yard:
  • A flock of Canada Geese
  • A pair of Mute Swans
  • A single white (domestic/feral) Mallard Duck who follows the swans around and often cuddles with them
  • A couple types of heron (Great Blue and at least one other type that we didn't get a good enough look at to fully ID)
  • Mourning Doves
  • American Crows
  • Common Grackles
  • European Starlings
  • Various tiny passerines that our eyesight isn't good enough to ID
  • Squirrels (grey and/or fox squirrels I think?)
  • Chipmunks
  • Eastern Cottontail Rabbits
And a bunch of other critters I'm sure, but those are the ones we can think of off the top of our head. We don't have any readily accessibke photos right now, but if we get any, we'll be sure to come here and share!

~Deyan

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
A few pictures I've taken and meant to post here.
Red rumps
20230104_182945.jpg
20221230_124302.jpg
SC2
20221223_194537.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a really special looking spider. Do you know what kind it is? :spider:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
That's a really special looking spider. Do you know what kind it is? :spider:
I know nothing about spiders, I assume it's some kind of jumping spiders. I see those often around here, the only spiders I won't instantly flick off when I notice them on me.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I know nothing about spiders, I assume it's some kind of jumping spiders. I see those often around here, the only spiders I won't instantly flick off when I notice them on me.
I want to visit Australia but then I remember you have Cassowaries :laugh: 1673141413331.png

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to visit Australia but then I remember you have Cassowaries :laugh: View attachment 420769
Such a good looking birb. I'd say it's worth it to risk being stomped to see one :heart:
I'd also love to see a Red Kangaroo in the wild. I know they can disembowel you with a single kick which is quite rude but I mean they are just such a majestic magnificent looking creature. :heart:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Such a good looking birb. I'd say it's worth it to risk being stomped to see one :heart:
I'd also love to see a Red Kangaroo in the wild. I know they can disembowel you with a single kick which is quite rude but I mean they are just such a majestic magnificent looking creature. :heart:
Every other day on Instagram there is footage of people saving their untrained dogs from roos who were being harassed by the dogs and then the owners getting into a a slight wrestle with them- sometimes it is kinda hilarious to see lol
I have had my clothes torn to shreds by a tiny grey mumma roo when her baby approached me (literally four or more layers of winter clothes torn through like butter) so I would hate to see what kind of damage a red could do to a person if given some time. I know of a man who was grabbed in a headlock and wrestled by a red roo- omg craziest funniest story for years!

Most of our wildlife is spectacular to see (as I guess it is all over the world) and you are mostly only in danger if boundaries and territories are not respected. I am sure if you ever do make it over here you will leave having fallen in love with many other species too- check up puggles (not the fancy breed of dog), baby monotremes are sooo adorable. Many of our baby animals are sickeningly gorgeous.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Every other day on Instagram there is footage of people saving their untrained dogs from roos who were being harassed by the dogs and then the owners getting into a a slight wrestle with them- sometimes it is kinda hilarious to see lol
I have had my clothes torn to shreds by a tiny grey mumma roo when her baby approached me (literally four or more layers of winter clothes torn through like butter) so I would hate to see what kind of damage a red could do to a person if given some time. I know of a man who was grabbed in a headlock and wrestled by a red roo- omg craziest funniest story for years!

Most of our wildlife is spectacular to see (as I guess it is all over the world) and you are mostly only in danger if boundaries and territories are not respected. I am sure if you ever do make it over here you will leave having fallen in love with many other species too- check up puggles (not the fancy breed of dog), baby monotremes are sooo adorable. Many of our baby animals are sickeningly gorgeous.
Oh man I can only imagine how many dogs go after the Roos all the time I unfortunately imagine most of the dogs don't walk away the same. Wow! That's crazy that she punished you so harshly for the perceived transgression.
I've seen Puggles before they are utterly adorable!
I remember seeing a vid of an adult male red bashing in someone's full length window with his feet and fists because he seemed to think it was a rival roo and even seeing the human there filming didn't seem to bother him from what I can recall.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Puggles, yes :heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
i don’t care what kind of spider it is… it’s gonna be a flying or flat spider if I see it on me.:D

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Gosh… I’m trying so hard to remember if pigglies are baby platypus or baby echidnas. So… what are they?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh man I can only imagine how many dogs go after the Roos all the time I unfortunately imagine most of the dogs don't walk away the same. Wow! That's crazy that she punished you so harshly for the perceived transgression.
I've seen Puggles before they are utterly adorable!
I remember seeing a vid of an adult male red bashing in someone's full length window with his feet and fists because he seemed to think it was a rival roo and even seeing the human there filming didn't seem to bother him from what I can recall.
The roos will often run straight for the water- once there the dogs very rarely have any luck walking away, they will literally drown the dogs. I have seen very few dogs win against a roo who can get to water no matter the size of the dog.

Omg Platypus puggles are the sweetest and baby wombats are to die for too.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

oh yes… an adult red can easily kill a dog. I can’t watch those videos.