• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What’s wrong with my budgie’s foot?

mjfairy4

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi you guys! I have a question and this has been bothering me for a few days now, one because apparently I live two hours away from my closest avian vet, and two, because I don’t want my budgie to be sick.

Basically last week I took both of my budgies to the pet store where they get their nails and beaks trimmed. This time however, one of them came back home with what looks like dried blood on his foot. I thought great, they nicked him on accident, but I kept track of what it looked like and it looks like it’s worse than what I remember it looking like.

It started off as one dot but now it looks bigger and looks like a second dot is there. I’ll attach pics. There is no metal on the cage other than that to hang the toys up, and he does get on that but never got injured. I don’t use sandpaper perches or anything that would hurt them either.

He’s been acting normal which calms me down but I’m just worried this is more serious than I thought.

What’s wrong with my budgie?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks like your bird has an injury on its foot but the pics are not quite clear enough on my device to see as good as I would like. If he is not showing signs of pain or discomfort I would just keep it clean and watch it.

Can I ask why your budgie needs beak and nail trims done at a pet store? Is this a regular thing you get done?
My budgie never has needed this and he is 5, none of my past budgies over my life time have needed it either, if they have things to chew and good perches they are really good at keeping their nails and beaks in great condition.

mjfairy4

Checking out the neighborhood
They’re my sibling’s budgies so this is my first time ever caring for birds. When I went to the pet store they told me they needed trims and they even cut their wings at first even when I said not to. They’re a reputable place though so I just took their advice.

I’m realizing maybe I need better things in their cage for their beaks and nails, I have a few fake wood perches and toys, should I get like real wood perches? Their nails get sooo long, so Idk what to do. Also another question, is it normal that they’re 64 and 70 grams? I looked it up and I think they’re overweight. I’m trying to switch them from an all seed diet to a diet with veggies and greens and all.

As for the foot, I thought it was an injury as well and I wasn’t that worried since the blood isn’t fresh and the wound isn’t open but I can’t help worrying that it won’t get worse.

All advice is welcomed, I’m trying to get better at taking care of them :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I get balsa rods for my little guy which I offer him as a long perch that goes the whole length of his cage, he loves chewing them and when he chews through it and the perch drops I reposition it. He also has real wood perches with bark on as they are better for their feet and are also loved as chew things. Balsa, sola, cork, mahogany pods and other materials like paper are generally enjoyed by budgies for chewing up- the act of chewing on these things to shred them helps keep beaks trimmed down perfectly. Branches with bark on offered at decent angles will help keep nails worn- they have to use them to loose them ;) We also have a wonderful stone perch/swing which also helps keep those little nails neat and tidy.

Many people offer cuttlebone to help keep little beaks healthy and tidy (I personally don’t offer it), some people offer a certain type of perch (ask for a link to the safe ones if you’re interested) to help with nails (I need them and love them for my big guys but not my little man).

I’ll try to remember to add a keel bone chart for you to look at (but if I forget please remind me!), never judge your birds health just by it’s weight- budgies (all birds really) come in many many sizes so weight alone is not a good way to tell if your bird has too much or too little weight and is healthy.

The addition of fresh foods and maybe even pellets would be really great for your bird but please remember that budgies do best when they still have some seed in their diets. You may also find that your bird will only eat fresh foods when they’re offered a certain way (weirdos they are lol) so try chop, small bits, large wet hanging bits, bits floating in water etc and don’t give up trying even if the foods aren’t touched.
Consider learning how to sprout- many seed eaters will give sprouts a try.