• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What’s the strangest thing...

Doctress

Strolling the yard
.. that your rescue birds have told you about their prior owners?

I was introducing Smoky Blue to the neighbors, and explaining all the sounds and phrases he knows. My neighbor said it sounded a little creepy... we have an unintentional window into a family’s intimate life based on what the bird picked up.

Smoky Blue has a deep manly voice, says “lock ‘em up”, “go outside”, and “get over here”, with a wide array of belches and fart noises. Sometimes he makes a very loud kissing noise. He calls himself “Smokes”. He also makes kitten mews and small dog yips. He makes the text alert noise of a smart phone and a Mac start up noise. I feel like I have some insight into his home life prior to coming to live with us...

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I rescued a Mynah decades ago and he apparently was previously owned by a golfer. He actually said "That looks like a hole in one!"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bobber, my quaker, once told me in the saddest voice ever, "Bobber is a very bad, bad bird." Broke my heart. He also swears occassionally from his previous home. nothing strange though!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton coughs like an old man when he's tired. His first person, an older gentleman, obviously had breathing problems...probably COPD...:(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Bebe said son of a B when I was putting him to bed one night, in deep male voice.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow, I recently heard of a parrot who was rehomed with the owners ex partner as the owner had been murdered and his current wife had also been badly injured. Once the bird was back with the ex it started saying some rather odd things and this was reported to the police. It turns out the poor parrot was repeating the words the dead owner was saying to his partner as she was trying to kill him. I think they may have used the parrot as evidence to convict the partner for murder as she survived. I believe it was an AG.

Such amazing little creatures they are.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My adopted CAG once said, “gosh darn!,” in a very angry, older man’s voice. It freaked me out! I was in the other room. Never heard it again.

She also called into work sick once using a woman’s voice. Haha.

(EDIT: LOL. The forum automatically turned the cussing into “gosh darn!” It was really something else; use your imagination!)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My rescued harlequin macaw Maui must have been in the bedroom of the previous owner as we were serenaded with noises and moans and talking that would only take place during sex. Thankfully after 10 years we don't hear it very often!

:coffeescreen::toofunny:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
When Jester is upset he yells "God d*nm it Ricky PICK ME UP." His favorite person's name was Ricky, so we think the other people would yell at him to pick Jester up when he was screaming. He also yells "oh sh*t." :rolleyes:

Grey Bird came to me saying so many words, phrases, and noises, but none of them are really strange. He knows all the dog commands and likes to try to boss our dog around when he sees her. :wacky: