• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome Home Jade!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I offered a piece of cashew in my palm, and Jade took it! Although she did run her beak and tongue over my hand, and she seemed to think that the birthmark on my hand was a seed! Lol. Jade is so sweet!

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
I have another pellet taste answer! Its this one Robot Check, and it smells really nice, sorta like cinnamonish rice, but tastes like flour.
I can't say it tastes GOOD, but I can't say it tastes bad either. Kinda makes me wanna eat more lol

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So, Jade seems to have discovered the joy of biting!

She's nabbed me twice today- the first time, I was sitting on my bed and she came over, saw my phone, tried to play with the screen and then bit the tip of my thumb.

The second time, I was sitting on my bed, nothing on my hands, with them set on my legs. She grabbed the skin on the back of my hand.

So how do I discourage or prevent this behavior? I might be wrong but it felt, to me, like she was testing me out, to see if she could get a reaction. It didn't feel aggressive or anything. Both times I told her "No" gently and got her off of me.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Jade is a brave, cute little girl.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

She's nabbed me twice today- the first time, I was sitting on my bed and she came over, saw my phone, tried to play with the screen and then bit the tip of my thumb.

The second time, I was sitting on my bed, nothing on my hands, with them set on my legs. She grabbed the skin on the back of my hand.

So how do I discourage or prevent this behavior? I might be wrong but it felt, to me, like she was testing me out, to see if she could get a reaction. It didn't feel aggressive or anything. Both times I told her "No" gently and got her off of me.
They do test their boundaries for sure!

For Koopa I would put her down on the nearest safe surface, give her a dirty look, and turn my back and walk away a few steps away. She quickly learned that if she wanted my attention she needed to behave.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have tasted the zupreem fruity pellets...

They all taste the same with a slight hint of generic fruit. I did not enjoy them :wtf: . They were very dry tasting so I now understand why birds like to make soup. (I got a glass of water as soon as I finished tasting them :lol:) Not sure if they would taste better as a bigger size, but the small budgie size just tasted like stale cereal with a hint of fruit.

Conure101

:congrats5: I am glad Jade is settling in nicely! She is a beautiful bird. :heart: Btw I also have the Prevue Hendryx flight cage.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Jade is eating their chop! Yayy! I offered it first thing, so I guess she got hungry! She's also pretty much demolished a balsa toy i made! And she has her first vet visit today! They were able to move us up. So I'll let you all know how that goes!

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Jade is adorable!!! :heart: Congratulations Bee!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

When she's gently beaking you, praise her. "Good girl, very gentle!" If she starts biting with force, remind her to "be gentle", and try to roll your hand away. If she persists, step away like Shawna said.

Conure101

Jade is eating their chop! Yayy! I offered it first thing, so I guess she got hungry!
That’s wonderful! I can’t get my Budgies to eat any fruit/veg. They look at me like I am trying to poison them. :rofl:
She's also pretty much demolished a balsa toy i made!
I know what you mean! I put a balsa toy in the budgies cage and they never touched it! :laugh: Until one day they decided to tear it to shreds! :rolleyes:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That’s wonderful! I can’t get my Budgies to eat any fruit/veg. They look at me like I am trying to poison them. :rofl:
Have you tried quinoa? My budgies never ate any fresh foods, but loved quinoa so much they squabbled over the food bowl :lol: I'm going to get them a new SS bowl soon.