• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Welcome Home Jade!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I have tasted the zupreem fruity pellets...

They all taste the same with a slight hint of generic fruit. I did not enjoy them :wtf: . They were very dry tasting so I now understand why birds like to make soup. (I got a glass of water as soon as I finished tasting them :lol:) Not sure if they would taste better as a bigger size, but the small budgie size just tasted like stale cereal with a hint of fruit.
:laughin: I doubt the bigger size would taste better.. probably harder to choke down unless you take a big swig of water with it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So, Jade seems to have discovered the joy of biting!

She's nabbed me twice today- the first time, I was sitting on my bed and she came over, saw my phone, tried to play with the screen and then bit the tip of my thumb.

The second time, I was sitting on my bed, nothing on my hands, with them set on my legs. She grabbed the skin on the back of my hand.

So how do I discourage or prevent this behavior? I might be wrong but it felt, to me, like she was testing me out, to see if she could get a reaction. It didn't feel aggressive or anything. Both times I told her "No" gently and got her off of me.
I don't think young conures know the difference between skin and objects as far as how much pressure they apply with their beaks. If she was playing with the screen and spied your thumb it was just another object to her to beak and check out. Use your foot toys for distractions and give her something to do instead of chewing on your skin. When I'm wet wiping the floor in the crimson clan room at night Ruby is always on me. When I bend over to wipe the floor she walks from my shoulder down to my back to sit ( Or my butt). When she's on my flat back my shirt will start to ride up my back and I'll use my left hand to pull it back down and hold it to keep it from riding up. Ruby doesn't like my hand holding the tail of my shirt and has lightly nipped at it. I use a firm voice louder with her name 'RUBY!". Then she'll just bang her beak on my back protesting my hand. ( She'll bang her beak on the back of my head too when she's not happy with me moving around so much ( silly girl!) She knows that volume very well from the times she's gotten in trouble when I caught her plucking feathers out of Casey's tummy ( she knows I mean business when I catch her doing that and will fly back to me). You can also wiggle a little bit or make a "shush" sound that will distract her. For the time being ... if it's not apparent it's an intentional bite but just exploring I would let her explore. She's going to want to touch everything out of curiousity... so use those foot toys to create a distraction from your fingers.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Jade climbed onto my shoulder for the first time today! She nuzzled her face into the back of my hair, lol. She also allowed me to give her scritches! She seemed to like it, lol.
Once you give scritches... they're sucked in. Sure din't take long to worm her way into your heart...and shoulder!!!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Jade had her first adventure upstairs today! I used the carrier to take her up there, with lots of safflower seeds as treats. She seemed to have fun! And she's finding her voice too, today she did a bunch of yelling!

She's so sweet. When she comes out of the cage she just wants to hang out with me, lol. What a sweet baby :joyful:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Jade had her first adventure upstairs today! I used the carrier to take her up there, with lots of safflower seeds as treats. She seemed to have fun! And she's finding her voice too, today she did a bunch of yelling!

She's so sweet. When she comes out of the cage she just wants to hang out with me, lol. What a sweet baby :joyful:
Love it! You made me smile!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like Jade has settled in beautifully Bee. You’re both so lucky to have each other- I’m so glad things are going so well so soon. I can’t wait to watch you two grow together to become a team and hear about Jades personality as it’s blossoming.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a cute wet chicken bird.