• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Weird coloured feathers

Dragonloverjas

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine
so my female eclectus plucks a bit, (it’s not very bad) and I have noticed that she has a lot of green and blue at the end of her wings. I think this is visible because of her plucking, as it isn’t visible on the other wing. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what’s wrong? I know that oddly coloured feathers can mean the bird is sick, but sometimes it’s also genetic. I was also thinking of the possibility that maybe she’s a hermaphrodite (she’s friendlier than most females). Please give me answers!

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The feather quality seems dull which can be related to poor diet or other underlying health problems. Now this could simply be the photo quality. When was the last time she has been to a vet? It might be a very good time to get her in for blood work. If a bird is having plucking issues or poor feathers it will be your best option to get to an avian vet. The vet can help establish a program to get your lovely lady back on track.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Dragonloverjas

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine
2663D8AB-A613-43DB-A704-634235A7237C.jpeg 25CF1D68-76A7-4ABE-84D1-6013A1F19468.jpeg She’s only about 6 months old, so isn’t as vibrant as an adult. She’s on a diet of paradise pellets, and fruits and vegetables at least once a day. (Apple, capsicum, banana, carrot etc

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe she is very cute :)

I would take her in to a vet anyway. It is great to set up a base line, especially if the bird is 6 months old.

You can ask the vet to run a DNA sex test. Her colours are unique. Very interesting. Even the beak has orange. I want to know more about her.

This cardnial was found with both sexes. Birds present both sexes differently than mammals.
Rare half-male, half-female cardinal spotted in Pennsylvania

If you consider Occam's razor, it is more likely that she is missing something in her routine or diet that she needs. Since two sexes are very rare, it will be more likely to be a health problem.
Something like Circo virus can change her colouration.

BIRDS OF A DIFFERENT FEATHER

Dragonloverjas

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine
View attachment 300838 She’s only about 6 months old, so isn’t as vibrant as an adult. She’s on a diet of paradise pellets, and fruits and vegetables at least once a day. (Apple, capsicum, banana, carrot etc

Dragonloverjas

Moving in
Real Name
Jasmine
CEFF328C-2DF3-441A-A6CC-8E81805DFCC1.jpeg I have been meaning to take her to a vet for a while now, and I’ve actually been to that page you linked. It’s actually from the vet that I’m going to take her to, it’s pretty close to me. Thanks for the help!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That is great news!

Lucky that you have a good vet so close by :)

Let us know how it goes.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It concerns me that she's so young and you say she's plucking. That alone is not a good sign.

Second, the pellets might be an issue and could *potentially* be causing the color change in her feathers. Then again, maybe not. I have seen pictures of one eclectus hen that got yellow "freckles" because she was getting medicated (had a bacterial infection?) during a molt. Some of her new red feathers came in yellow. After the next molt(s), her "freckles" disappeared.

Peppercorn

Moving in
I've bred many Eclectus babies and I wouldn't worry about the different colours as I have seen that before in young Eclectus. The picking of feathers though I would be concerned about especially in a bird so young.
Look at the diet and their lifestyle. Are they bored? They need to be distracted sometimes and inspired to some challenge or interest. My birds love Kiwi Fruit, Passionfruit, Sweet Corn and Pomegranate. I use these as a base and mix them up with other foods in season. Sweet potato sometimes, Chilli's and some assorted fresh nuts.

I hope you work it out