• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We had our first outing today! And she was nearly kidnapped!

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to read about your experience! I hope you will consider returning to the store alone and speak to the manager about your experience. I think they need to be aware of what happened and to educate their employees about it, too.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
My old vet I believe said she was not comfortable chipping a bird less than 150g. But that was also a long time ago; not sure if things have changed.
I was wondering on that. So what does everyone suggest for proof of ownership? The conure does not have a band, but we have some paperwork but it is not specific enough for individual identification.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My old vet I believe said she was not comfortable chipping a bird less than 150g. But that was also a long time ago; not sure if things have changed.
Mine won't chip any species smaller than a Sun Conure.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I was wondering on that. So what does everyone suggest for proof of ownership? The conure does not have a band, but we have some paperwork but it is not specific enough for individual identification.
Take lots of photos and videos! Take note of any small tiny features or specific words/sounds your bird says. You could also look into a tattoo; my Quaker Bobber had one.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm sorry to read about your experience! I hope you will consider returning to the store alone and speak to the manager about your experience. I think they need to be aware of what happened and to educate their employees about it, too.
I definitely don't blame the employees or anything - they were all elsewhere. I have the woman's face pretty well imprinted on my memory though so I can definitely give a description :roflmao: it was just such a weird experience!

I'm just gonna become a hermit. It's fine.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Holy crap wow, talk about no personal space. I'm loud and proud of it. Some times I get into trouble but I really don't care. Petco near me has signage at the door saying all animals must be on leash and under your command while in the store. I'm afraid of certain dogs, been that way since I was kid. I was getting food for Sweet Pea and Bebe and had some jack mule with loose large pitbull running straight for me. There was no place for me to get out of the way, except their storage area. Yup I ran in there and held the door shut. There was employee back screaming at me to get out of their back room. I screamed right back at him there was loose pitbull in the store and I'm protecting myself. He was still at it when manager came back told him to put sock in it. She turned and ask me if I was ok. not really but give me a minute and is that dog gone. She said yes the dog was gone. I paid for the treats and left the store. Animal control and police officer were in the lot, apparently this dog was already on wanted list.
Any ways I'm glad Isadora is ok and with you. If you ever take her out again, any body that comes that close ask them to back up and respect your personal space. My friend who has macaws has leashes that say I BITE.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn’t know you had a Sweet Pea. Who is this?! :eek:

You did right to invade the storage area. I don’t trust any game bred dog & that’s the original purpose of pit bulls, staffies, etc. It’s also common courtesy to leash any dog in public!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Holy crap wow, talk about no personal space. I'm loud and proud of it. Some times I get into trouble but I really don't care. Petco near me has signage at the door saying all animals must be on leash and under your command while in the store. I'm afraid of certain dogs, been that way since I was kid. I was getting food for Sweet Pea and Bebe and had some jack mule with loose large pitbull running straight for me. There was no place for me to get out of the way, except their storage area. Yup I ran in there and held the door shut. There was employee back screaming at me to get out of their back room. I screamed right back at him there was loose pitbull in the store and I'm protecting myself. He was still at it when manager came back told him to put sock in it. She turned and ask me if I was ok. not really but give me a minute and is that dog gone. She said yes the dog was gone. I paid for the treats and left the store. Animal control and police officer were in the lot, apparently this dog was already on wanted list.
Any ways I'm glad Isadora is ok and with you. If you ever take her out again, any body that comes that close ask them to back up and respect your personal space. My friend who has macaws has leashes that say I BITE.
I would love to have a shirt made saying never mind my pet.... I BITE!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Glad you're both okay. Don't stress too much. Isadora probably isn't.
I've had some guy try to get Frankie when I told him he wasn't for sale, but that's another story.
Always keep your babies close and strangers away from your personal space.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've dreamt about people's pets being stolen all night! What a nightmare! I read that there was an increase in pet theft during the early pandemic due to the increase in people shopping for pets while in lock down.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I've dreamt about people's pets being stolen all night! What a nightmare! I read that there was an increase in pet theft during the early pandemic due to the increase in people shopping for pets while in lock down.
I remember that - it got really bad in the first 6ush months of covid because people went pet crazy.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Oh my! I'm glad isadora is safe, what a crazy thing for poeple to try doing :facepalm:

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
I'm still so mad about it. And I know me, I'm going to dwell on this forever and at 3am I'm still going to be awake replaying it and how I could have done it better.

It wasn't even a smart "what?". It was half a step from a stupified "huh?". Gah!

I've had people do the "your pet is having a bad time" with my dogs before, because one is a bit (a lot) neurotic and constantly looks like he's on the verge of an anxiety attack and looks stressed noatter what we're doing. I hate when people think they know better.
For Real that woman needs to learn not to touch other peoples property, and i can totally relate to the fact that hours later i could have done it 100x better, pressure sucks but what was important is that you were able to protect your bird because who knows what would have happend if that crazy lady did get a hold of your poor cockatoo and people do need to shut their mouth when it comes to your pets cause the people who LIVE with their own pets know them best no the pedestrians that give you pet a five second look over and then make a diagnosis.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
God people ...I had a 6 month Wolfdog I was at the corner store with him having people give him treats to socialize and one "brilliant" guy who runs a local dog kennel grab my dogs leash and pulled him close to him and said with this dog you should have him close to you like this and he jerked my dog close to him and Godrik looked very confused ... I grabed my dog back and told him I was socializing him and to let my dog go ...I was so pissed and if Godrik bit him it would have been blamed on my dog instead of this stupid man grabing a 90 lb Wolfdog who he never met ...I was so mad I couldnt see straight let alone say something perfect to this ahole ..I just took my confused puppy home and gave him a ton of treats for not biting this man ... I guess my socializing was working ... :cool:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Y'alls stories are making me think of picking up some pepper spray :wideyed: