• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We had our first outing today! And she was nearly kidnapped!

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It never ceases to amaze me that I am capable of planning for the tiniest, most insignificant details - But miss the great big obvious DUH details.

I decided today is the perfect day to pop the harness on Isadora and take her out to Petsmart - I needed a pack of aspen for the chickadoodles anyway. Got her in the carrier, carrier into the car, and on the road we went. She did remarkably well, and didn't even get car sick! But you know what tiny detail I forgot?

People talk to you if you bring a bird to a store. Whether you want them to or not.

I am very good at people-ing. Years of retail work, restaurant work, admin, etc have trained me in the art of small talk. The Petsmart workers were fantastic, actually - Asked the basic general questions, no one asked to touch her, everyone kept a respectful distance and didn't overwhelm her (or me). Other customers though? Jeeeeeez.

There was one woman in particular. She has a scarlet macaw, a Hans macaw, and a goffins cockatoo at home. She stopped me to chat, asked about her and I gave the condensed version of the story: Isadora is 15, nearly 16, she came from an older couple who wanted a younger home for her, etc. She's doing great, she's the love of my life, etc. She asked "So she's almost 16 years old? How long have you had her?" I said for 4 1/2 months now. "Have you ever had a cockatoo before?" No, she's my first large bird and I couldn't have gotten luckier.

This woman, who was only in her 50's probably so she's only a little older than me, says "You shouldn't have her. You don't have the experience with large birds and you're too young to have one. You don't even look like you've got your own life together." AND SHE REACHED FOR ISADORA. SHE WAS GOING TO TAKE MY BIRD.

I would love to pretend like I had some witty comeback. I thought of all the good responses in the last hour since we've been back home and I've had a minute to process. In reality, I came back with the unbearably witty retort of "What?" Because I am brilliant under pressure. I stepped back and put my cart between us and said "Nope. We're not doing this." And I turned around and walked out.

An hour later, I have gone back in my head and told her off ten ways to Sunday. In the moment, I was so flabbergasted. Someone tried to take my bird away from me. Like, she literally tried to grab my bird off of my hand.

I don't think we're going to have another field trip. I think we'll stick to the yard. This was a stupid experience and I would have enjoyed it more if I'd had enough brainpower to yell at her and embarrass her for even thinking to try something like that. She deserved to be horrifically embarrassed. I'm so mad about the whole thing.

Here's the Diva in all her glory when we were walking around pre-harassment.

IMG_6380.jpeg

IMG_6383.jpeg

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Holy smokes! I have had people stick their finger in my bird’s face; had a developmentally delayed woman pick my (very sweet) Quaker up like a baseball, but I have never had someone try to take my bird away. When they start to ask how much she cost I would leave.

Boy, I hate how I freeze when I’m shocked or scared and the words come later!!

reminds me of how a woman criticized me when I had Lucy (very old Quaker) at a music fest. She said something implying that Lucy was not having a good time. Well, I know my baby bird and watch her carefully so I thought she WAS having a good time with the music, treats, and admiration. So I felt guilty and took Lucy home, and set her in her cage. I thought she would nap or something, but she stomped around on the cage floor and then yelled, “Out! Out out out! Right now!” With lots of aacks thrown in.

anyhow, we went back to the block party. And Lucy met a lot of admiring fans.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh I seriously don't have any words. I am so sorry that you went through that awful invasion of space and that she thought she could do that. Thank goodness she didn't actually touch Isadora or you that's just so *shudders*

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'm still so mad about it. And I know me, I'm going to dwell on this forever and at 3am I'm still going to be awake replaying it and how I could have done it better.

It wasn't even a smart "what?". It was half a step from a stupified "huh?". Gah!

I've had people do the "your pet is having a bad time" with my dogs before, because one is a bit (a lot) neurotic and constantly looks like he's on the verge of an anxiety attack and looks stressed noatter what we're doing. I hate when people think they know better.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It’s better that you protected your bird than had a witty comeback. You did well!

I had a few different people try to steal my dog when she was a pup. I didn’t bother with comebacks - just fled.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It’s better that you protected your bird than had a witty comeback. You did well!

I had a few different people try to steal my dog when she was a pup. I didn’t bother with comebacks - just fled.
My only experience with someone trying to touch my dogs was when I first got the boys. I was walking them in downtown Fredericksburg VA and a girl screamed PUPPIES and ran full speed straight at them. I had juuuuust gotten them a few days prior and didn't know how they'd react so was already on high alert. I yanked them behind me and ripped her a new one about approaching strangers dogs. I can only think because I was already in high anxiety mode about walking them in public that it gave me the extra oomph.

I was definitely not prepared today.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm, people are the main reason I prefer to stay home! Glad you’re both safe and no birdy got grabbed.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hmmm, people are the main reason I prefer to stay home! Glad you’re both safe and no birdy got grabbed.
I don't think we'll be going out again :arghh: that was way more thanI bargained for. And I still didn't get aspen.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:bash:
Well, she shouldn't have a 'too either, cause she's got two macaws!!! I can't believe she tried to take her :wideyed:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
:bash:
Well, she shouldn't have a 'too either, cause she's got two macaws!!! I can't believe she tried to take her :wideyed:
I know! I only thought about that after the fact! Like don't judge me, you don't even know what you're doing to your birds!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Aww. My birds groom my lashes and brows but THEY aren’t big enough to EAT my eyes.

that woman was WAY out of line. And if it was a joke, it wasn’t handled well.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Aww. My birds groom my lashes and brows but THEY aren’t big enough to EAT my eyes.
Yeah, the first time was a little nerve wracking :roflmao: I'm (mostly) used to it now though. She only manages to pinch me occasionally, but she sticks her beak in my eyes constantly.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
People!!!!
Seriously you aren't old enough? When you just explained age of previous owners led to her being give up? Plus the nerve to saying any if that crap!

I would have been caught fkst footed too!

I almost had my dog stolen years ago when he was a puppy. I took him to home Depot sbd we walking around he cute little pekingese puppy. An old lady had been following us. She came and said how cute! A pekingese! She grabbed his leash and took off saying I just want to show him to my husband wait here.
Of course not! Mouth open I'm chasing after her. Her husband was st the entrance door open to their car waiting! She almost had him in the car when I cought up and throwing my body on top of him,!!!! Sweet old ladies my back side,!!!

I was so shocked I never uttered a word!

I'm glad you guys are both safe!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Part of what's driving me crazy was her saying I don't have my life together. I don't, but dang. Do I look that not-together? Why did she think I don't have my life together?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
People!!!!
Seriously you aren't old enough? When you just explained age of previous owners led to her being give up? Plus the nerve to saying any if that crap!

I would have been caught fkst footed too!

I almost had my dog stolen years ago when he was a puppy. I took him to home Depot sbd we walking around he cute little pekingese puppy. An old lady had been following us. She came and said how cute! A pekingese! She grabbed his leash and took off saying I just want to show him to my husband wait here.
Of course not! Mouth open I'm chasing after her. Her husband was st the entrance door open to their car waiting! She almost had him in the car when I cought up and throwing my body on top of him,!!!! Sweet old ladies my back side,!!!

I was so shocked I never uttered a word!

I'm glad you guys are both safe!
Good lord! That's some wild freaking audacity!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Part of what's driving me crazy was her saying I don't have my life together. I don't, but dang. Do I look that not-together? Why did she think I don't have my life together?
She probably just said that to "justify" what she was about to do.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
You could take it as a compliment that you are too young to be responsible.