• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We had our first outing today! And she was nearly kidnapped!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
People!!!!
Seriously you aren't old enough? When you just explained age of previous owners led to her being give up? Plus the nerve to saying any if that crap!

I would have been caught fkst footed too!

I almost had my dog stolen years ago when he was a puppy. I took him to home Depot sbd we walking around he cute little pekingese puppy. An old lady had been following us. She came and said how cute! A pekingese! She grabbed his leash and took off saying I just want to show him to my husband wait here.
Of course not! Mouth open I'm chasing after her. Her husband was st the entrance door open to their car waiting! She almost had him in the car when I cought up and throwing my body on top of him,!!!! Sweet old ladies my back side,!!!

I was so shocked I never uttered a word!

I'm glad you guys are both safe!
Omg no! That's absolutely bananas that she did that! I can't believe no one tried to help you stop her.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Part of what's driving me crazy was her saying I don't have my life together. I don't, but dang. Do I look that not-together? Why did she think I don't have my life together?
It's all crap! Your bird was in a harness , many people think oh they won't gjy off.
Your bird was safe sbd happy and in your control.
Nothing she said matters or has any weight in anything,!
You don't steal !

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG very scary. Glad you took precaution & walked out. People like that often lie & just want to steal your pet to resell.

I often took JaJaBinks (previous macaw passed away) to the motorcycle club. I knew I could set her on the back of a chair & walk across the room & noone would touch her, because they were all warned she'd rip their fingers off & she would, as she wouldn't let anyone but me touch her. She had been abused by previous owners, so I always warned anyone that got close not to try touching her. On guy tried to offer her a dandelion. She nailed him, LOL.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Xoetix, your thief was a judgemental jerk & she was trying to justify her theft with it being in the bird’s best interests.

Pixiebeak, I’m so glad you got your pup back!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
You could take it as a compliment that you are too young to be responsible.
That’s the only thing I can think, is that she thought I am lot younger than I actually am. I look so young she wanted to steal my bird - talk about a backhanded compliment

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What a judgemental ol biddy. I understand what you mean about stewing over things for days afterwards because you didn't say anything worthwhile at the time....I do the same thing. :lol: But what's most important is you protected your bird. It's unfair though because she will forget about this tomorrow, and never realize the impact of her words on you while you worry and fret about it. So I hope you do your best to put it out of your mind :hug2:

I worry about stuff like this with Ripley too because he's so colorful and not often see around here. I actually stopped posting photos of him except here and my business pages because I posted a photo of him on a Harrison's or similar post once, and had someone claiming he was their long lost parrot from 2 decades ago. It was stressful. I can't even imagine what I would do if someone tried to nab him in real life!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
someone claiming he was their long lost parrot from 2 decades ago
Jeez! That's both stressful for you and heartbreaking for them (provided they were being serious and not talking out their butts). I can't imagine seeing a bird looking like one I'd lost. If they were being truthful, I hope they found some peace.

If they weren't, I hope they found some fleas.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a judgemental ol biddy. I understand what you mean about stewing over things for days afterwards because you didn't say anything worthwhile at the time....I do the same thing. :lol: But what's most important is you protected your bird. It's unfair though because she will forget about this tomorrow, and never realize the impact of her words on you while you worry and fret about it. So I hope you do your best to put it out of your mind :hug2:

I worry about stuff like this with Ripley too because he's so colorful and not often see around here. I actually stopped posting photos of him except here and my business pages because I posted a photo of him on a Harrison's or similar post once, and had someone claiming he was their long lost parrot from 2 decades ago. It was stressful. I can't even imagine what I would do if someone tried to nab him in real life!
Add me to thirding the re running everything in my head over and over again for eternity.
Omg that's insanely stressful I don't blame you at all for not posting pics.
I've always felt the same regardless of whom I had Nala who was the normal colored Greenie or if it was Bosco or my others that were also uniquely colored and species I never wanted anyone outside of my job or here knowing I had them I never had my blinds open so people could see them playing inside or took them outside where anyone could see them for fear of someone breaking in wanting to steal them.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jeez! That's both stressful for you and heartbreaking for them (provided they were being serious and not talking out their butts). I can't imagine seeing a bird looking like one I'd lost. If they were being truthful, I hope they found some peace.

If they weren't, I hope they found some fleas.
Yeah first I was just super stressed and freaked out because she was calling me out on a public post and then also messaged me privately. Then I realized if this was Koopa (my green cheek that escaped and I never found), I would at least want to know she was okay.

I asked her for any type of identifier like band, breeder, etc, to try and give her that closure, but she disappeared. So I am not sure if she just couldn't get the information or if she was a fake, but it made me wary.

Danybirb

Meeting neighbors
It never ceases to amaze me that I am capable of planning for the tiniest, most insignificant details - But miss the great big obvious DUH details.

I decided today is the perfect day to pop the harness on Isadora and take her out to Petsmart - I needed a pack of aspen for the chickadoodles anyway. Got her in the carrier, carrier into the car, and on the road we went. She did remarkably well, and didn't even get car sick! But you know what tiny detail I forgot?

People talk to you if you bring a bird to a store. Whether you want them to or not.

I am very good at people-ing. Years of retail work, restaurant work, admin, etc have trained me in the art of small talk. The Petsmart workers were fantastic, actually - Asked the basic general questions, no one asked to touch her, everyone kept a respectful distance and didn't overwhelm her (or me). Other customers though? Jeeeeeez.

There was one woman in particular. She has a scarlet macaw, a Hans macaw, and a goffins cockatoo at home. She stopped me to chat, asked about her and I gave the condensed version of the story: Isadora is 15, nearly 16, she came from an older couple who wanted a younger home for her, etc. She's doing great, she's the love of my life, etc. She asked "So she's almost 16 years old? How long have you had her?" I said for 4 1/2 months now. "Have you ever had a cockatoo before?" No, she's my first large bird and I couldn't have gotten luckier.

This woman, who was only in her 50's probably so she's only a little older than me, says "You shouldn't have her. You don't have the experience with large birds and you're too young to have one. You don't even look like you've got your own life together." AND SHE REACHED FOR ISADORA. SHE WAS GOING TO TAKE MY BIRD.

I would love to pretend like I had some witty comeback. I thought of all the good responses in the last hour since we've been back home and I've had a minute to process. In reality, I came back with the unbearably witty retort of "What?" Because I am brilliant under pressure. I stepped back and put my cart between us and said "Nope. We're not doing this." And I turned around and walked out.

An hour later, I have gone back in my head and told her off ten ways to Sunday. In the moment, I was so flabbergasted. Someone tried to take my bird away from me. Like, she literally tried to grab my bird off of my hand.

I don't think we're going to have another field trip. I think we'll stick to the yard. This was a stupid experience and I would have enjoyed it more if I'd had enough brainpower to yell at her and embarrass her for even thinking to try something like that. She deserved to be horrifically embarrassed. I'm so mad about the whole thing.

Here's the Diva in all her glory when we were walking around pre-harassment.

View attachment 427572

View attachment 427573
What is actually wrong with people

Danybirb

Meeting neighbors
People!!!!
Seriously you aren't old enough? When you just explained age of previous owners led to her being give up? Plus the nerve to saying any if that crap!

I would have been caught fkst footed too!

I almost had my dog stolen years ago when he was a puppy. I took him to home Depot sbd we walking around he cute little pekingese puppy. An old lady had been following us. She came and said how cute! A pekingese! She grabbed his leash and took off saying I just want to show him to my husband wait here.
Of course not! Mouth open I'm chasing after her. Her husband was st the entrance door open to their car waiting! She almost had him in the car when I cought up and throwing my body on top of him,!!!! Sweet old ladies my back side,!!!

I was so shocked I never uttered a word!

I'm glad you guys are both safe!
Jesus what is wrong with people?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Because I keep thinking about, I truely dont understand what her reasoning was (if there was any to begin with...). You have a unplucked, harness train 'too who's behaving really well (I think, was she? :roflmao:), what gives her the right to say you can't handle her?
I know without a doubt some people would say I can't handle a 'too, but I think I am doing pretty good considering I have zero big bird experience. I've actually been thinking recently that Q has made some progress toward harnessing, he sure won't be going anywhere super public! (Not that I think anyone would be overly interested in a galah around here, but obviously there's weirdos everywhere)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Because I keep thinking about, I truely dont understand what her reasoning was (if there was any to begin with...). You have a unplucked, harness train 'too who's behaving really well (I think, was she? :roflmao:), what gives her the right to say you can't handle her?
I know without a doubt some people would say I can't handle a 'too, but I think I am doing pretty good considering I have zero big bird experience. I've actually been thinking recently that Q has made some progress toward harnessing, he sure won't be going anywhere super public! (Not that I think anyone would be overly interested in a galah around here, but obviously there's weirdos everywhere)
I know! I don't understand!

She was doing really well. Obviously a bit anxious, as it was her first field trip and she absolutely hates car rides, but she wasn't screaming or trying to bite anything/anyone. She wasn't even talking. She was just looking around at everything.

I'm still stuck on me not having my life together :roflmao: HOW CAN YOU TELL?!?!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I had some twit joke about nabbing Burt when I took him out in his pak o bird one day - it was definitely a joke made in very bad taste and I think my reply was taken by them as badly as their joke was taken by me.
I had another person question what I would do if someone grabbed the harness off my wrist and took off with Burt- they also did not like my reply, I have a hard time being polite or quiet when I feel someone has overstepped the line with their stupidity.
Both those incidents made me extra protective of my animals and more aware of keeping them safe.
My mum basically used to advertise to everyone she spoke to on the phone or met in real life that I have a macaw (she even bought someone she had just met ten minutes earlier to our house to show them my bird :cautious: ) I told her to stop making Burt a topic of conversation with random strangers as they do not need to know what animals I have (or anything else about me) and I do not want him preyed upon- mum thought I was being difficult, paranoid and more crazy than normal and clearly told me so, she said that no one would steal my bird, then she found 4 posts on FB in the week after me telling her to not talk about Burt and a separate article in a news paper about macaws being stolen (5 separate incidents) and just to top it all off... everyone one of them stolen birds was within a 90 min drive or less of our house- she is much more careful now and does not share my business with others unless she knows them.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had some twit joke about nabbing Burt when I took him out in his pak o bird one day - it was definitely a joke made in very bad taste and I think my reply was taken by them as badly as their joke was taken by me.
I had another person question what I would do if someone grabbed the harness off my wrist and took off with Burt- they also did not like my reply, I have a hard time being polite or quiet when I feel someone has overstepped the line with their stupidity.
Both those incidents made me extra protective of my animals and more aware of keeping them safe.
My mum basically used to advertise to everyone she spoke to on the phone or met in real life that I have a macaw (she even bought someone she had just met ten minutes earlier to our house to show them my bird :cautious: ) I told her to stop making Burt a topic of conversation with random strangers as they do not need to know what animals I have (or anything else about me) and I do not want him preyed upon- mum thought I was being difficult, paranoid and more crazy than normal and clearly told me so, she said that no one would steal my bird, then she found 4 posts on FB in the week after me telling her to not talk about Burt and a separate article in a news paper about macaws being stolen (5 separate incidents) and just to top it all off... everyone one of them stolen birds was within a 90 min drive or less of our house- she is much more careful now and does not share my business with others unless she knows them.
I've had that exact same issue with my mother! Never bringing a stranger home thank goodness but she tells everyone and their brother all about whatever bird I had at the time and it drove insane and made me so upset and extra paranoid and with good reason I feel.
I'd be even more concerned and cautious in your case since I know Macaws are rarer to come by in Australia

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
All I can say is WOW! I always worried a little that there was nothing on Walter that I could confidently identify him as mine (no chip, no band, no scars) except maybe his cataracts. I really think if I still had him (and he had been younger). I would consider chipping him so I have irrefutable proof that he is my bird. Has anyone else done this (particularly with conures?). It seems like such a big needle for such a small bird but I have heard of others chipping birds. I am glad you are okay and as far as the whole "you don't have your act together". Let's be real, most of us don't so that's a comment that can get to most people easily. Try not to let it bother you. In your parrots eyes you have your act together completely and are a great flock leader..... no one else really matters!!!! I always try to pre plan a smart remark that will usually make them rethink any funny business before since I always think of great ones two days too late.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
All I can say is WOW! I always worried a little that there was nothing on Walter that I could confidently identify him as mine (no chip, no band, no scars) except maybe his cataracts. I really think if I still had him (and he had been younger). I would consider chipping him so I have irrefutable proof that he is my bird. Has anyone else done this (particularly with conures?). It seems like such a big needle for such a small bird but I have heard of others chipping birds. I am glad you are okay and as far as the whole "you don't have your act together". Let's be real, most of us don't so that's a comment that can get to most people easily. Try not to let it bother you. In your parrots eyes you have your act together completely and are a great flock leader..... no one else really matters!!!! I always try to pre plan a smart remark that will usually make them rethink any funny business before since I always think of great ones two days too late.
I definitely plan on getting her chipped, especially since she doesn't have a band. I don't know if I could get Tteok chipped, but I've thought about getting him banded. It's something for my next vet appointment discussion I think.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My old vet I believe said she was not comfortable chipping a bird less than 150g. But that was also a long time ago; not sure if things have changed.