• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Walking the walk (with MC) **UPDATE**

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Clueless
It is easy if one person holds, and the other syringes. Hold his head and body firmly, the second person opens his beak and applies the medicine. Do it slowly so as not to choke him, but quickly enough that it goes down instead of him spitting it out.
Every 12 hours. That's our procedure!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I do a little tip backwards too.
I also try to get the syringe on top of the tongue and dispense slowly.
If the meds go into the picnic basket (what I call that storage area where they put food under their tongue) then I need to tip back to get them to swallow.
For some birds I do some distraction before or when I set them down, like letting them attack the towel or holding and dancing.
Some of my birds like what I call a 'toothbrush' after - like a finger-sized piece of balsa or mahogany pod to chew and clean their beak.
My Amazons are totally the worst for meds, such drama queens and Polly bites each syringe in half. I feel for you.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yep, hubby is putting meds in picnic basket.

At least he learned to keep syringes intact! Such little buggers!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Clueless I am so happy to hear that MC is doing well. I feel your pain about the meds. Great idea about graham crackers. I had a tiel that had an infected preening gland and had surgery. When the vet asked do you know how to administer meds, I was like sure, I had keets that I had to feed via eye dropper meds for bronchitis. Little did I know I had two inject into her breast tissue for two weeks with antibiotics and flush the surgical wound. Wow, the first two days were a breeze and then she figured out what we were doing. A angry bird is a site to see, when you are trying to get them out of a cage for meds and boy can they bite. I am sooo glad MC is doing great, you got this girl!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Antibiotics are the worst! Buddy hates syringe anything but that being said, I too tip him back a bit when I do it.

The towel he loves. I have to watch it now because he'll jump backward into his little hamock for "HIS" little taco song & if he only catches one side there's a bit of an upside down bird situation. Like I said very careful!!!

Sending healing thoughts & a big veak kiss to MC! :hug2:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So today we got medicine on toast. He licked the bowl. Seriously.

We also have visiting grandbunny who needs drops in eyes twice a day and drops in ears.

Whoooo boy.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler

We also have visiting grandbunny who needs drops in eyes twice a day and drops in ears.

Whoooo boy.
happy day for MC!!

Better be careful about posting such things, or you’ll have everyone’s pets lined up outside your door for drops, meds, etc.

This is a most valuable skill to acquire, mostly learned when parronts see their vet bills!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
happy day for MC!!

Better be careful about posting such things, or you’ll have everyone’s pets lined up outside your door for drops, meds, etc.

This is a most valuable skill to acquire, mostly learned when parronts see their vet bills!!
Not happening.

I'm scared to do the bunny tonight. I've never lifted her. Daughter told me not to many, many years ago and I follow directions. All because I said in the country we lift bunnies by the scruff of the neck.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
That's my daughter who helped a friend at a rabbit show. When she sent me this picture I thought it was a fake rabbit.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I bet you are. Is this type of tumor common? Difficult to treat? I honestly didn't know a parrot got tumors.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tumors are not uncommon in parrots. My Hank (in the picture to the left) died of a carcinoid (cancer) thyroid tumor.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Whoooo boy.
I'd happily trim toe nails on 50 bunnies over having to give meds to a zon any day! I'm so happy he ate the toast!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea