• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Walking the walk (with MC) **UPDATE**

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So..... every 12 hours you towel and medicate.

He's smart. Now he's wrapping feet around the bars on bottom of cage.

Before that, he held meds in his beak and I'm not sure if he spit any out.

I'm hauling him where I go because he pulls at his donut around his neck. I'm worried he'll break scar open.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So..... every 12 hours you towel and medicate.

He's smart. Now he's wrapping feet around the bars on bottom of cage.

Before that, he held meds in his beak and I'm not sure if he spit any out.

I'm hauling him where I go because he pulls at his donut around his neck. I'm worried he'll break scar open.
That's stressful. I guess there's no way to mix in juice or anything like that for him to take his meds?

This is a reminder to me for why I really need to syringe train Elvis. I can't imagine how difficult it would be if I had to give him meds. They are so smart....

I hope MC will start to take his meds more easily and heals quickly.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He has to take every drop of antibiotics. They put good tasting stuff in it so we give that last.

By all means do the syringe training!!!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So......

Last night, I transferred him to the back of the hallway. All doors closed. Sat him down THEN I could do a towel in one step. Quick and done. No bars to grip with toes.

This morning? He wasn't stepping up on the transfer stick.

I put his travel cage in the floor, THEN he stepped up on transfer stick. Back to the hallway, one and done.

Hubby looked and said the gel bandage appears to be coming up on edges now.

I truly, truly respect working moms that haul kids. TRULY!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think MC is learning that you are more stubborn than he is. It will get better and better.

Yes, everyone please train your bird to take meds from a syringe.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I forgot to post when I read this, oops!

So glad to hear that MC got his 5 star medical treatment! It sounds like he got absolutely world class care. It's so good to hear that he's feeling well enough to play up.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I forgot to post when I read this, oops!

So glad to hear that MC got his 5 star medical treatment! It sounds like he got absolutely world class care. It's so good to hear that he's feeling well enough to play up.
Amazing care. Dr. Welle and @Milo were great to him (and his human companions).

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So he's at home today. Just checked camera, he's not behaving. He's doing dead chicken hangs by his beak.

Yeesh!!!

Hubby said he must be feeling good.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sounds perfect!!
I’m so pleased to hear he’s back to behaving more like a beak hanging dead chicken!!! :heart:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I need help.

He's holding meds in his mouth and won't swallow.

I tried blowing in his face, didn't work.

Tried giving an almond sliver, just found one wet in his cage floor.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmm... maybe I could have Joe do one of me doing Binky... I put his on food but I could towel and do him. I could video me doing all of them but I'm not sure it will help you.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmm... maybe I could have Joe do one of me doing Binky... I put his on food but I could towel and do him. I could video me doing all of them but I'm not sure it will help you.
No. If I cut out the pain meds, I only have one to put in him. I can do one medication on his food. Probably need to get some trust built back up.

He was really put out with both of us tonight.

Hubby let him out and had to put him back in the cage to leave. MC wasn't having it. Wound up attacking the stick (sad, hubby's attempt to be nice to him failed).

Then I get home late and the towel comes out shortly thereafter.

He didn't even eat any sweet potato tonight. Just sat and glared at me. I gave him a tiny piece with my fingers when he wouldn't step up or come over. He took it and rolled it in his beak, finally swallowed it......

Thankfully, he returned to the inside of the cage when I deposited 2 nutriberries in there. They're both chomping on food right now.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I need help.

He's holding meds in his mouth and won't swallow.

I tried blowing in his face, didn't work.

Tried giving an almond sliver, just found one wet in his cage floor.
What type of pellets do you have? What I've done in past
Is let the pellets soak up the medicine. Take just enough pellets or a piece of low sugar / no high fritous corn syrup gram cracker and soak up the medicine amount required,
Place wet pellet or mushy gram cracker on finger and let them eat it off. Amazon's are gentle eaters so they won't chomp your finger for the food. The gram cracker is best, birds like it, it hides taste of medicine, and soaks up all the medicine.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What type of pellets do you have? What I've done in past
Is let the pellets soak up the medicine. Take just enough pellets or a piece of low sugar / no high fritous corn syrup gram cracker and soak up the medicine amount required,
Place wet pellet or mushy gram cracker on finger and let them eat it off. Amazon's are gentle eaters so they won't chomp your finger for the food. The gram cracker is best, birds like it, it hides taste of medicine, and soaks up all the medicine.
Great thought for Secret too!

A monkey biscuit for their food!!!! They liked those softened. They're similar to zupreem pellets consistency I think. The bird store in town carries small bags of them.

What kind of Graham crackers are low in sugar?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Great thought for Secret too!

A monkey biscuit for their food!!!! They liked those softened. They're similar to zupreem pellets consistency I think. The bird store in town carries small bags of them.

What kind of Graham crackers are low in sugar?
I think the gram cracker is sold at miejers.
it low sugar, no high Fritous corn sryup.
I haven't bought any in quite a while. So can't remember the brand name. The sugar content any way is based on serving. One or two whole crackers. I just break off a one inch square piece. not the whole 5 inches of cracker. When it comes to medicine, why not give the bird something yummy instead of battling with bird to get meds down...? Lol...

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
@Clueless,

How often do you need to administer meds? We syringed Bo, our Red Lored, the meds he needed.

It is easy if one person holds, and the other syringes. Hold his head and body firmly, the second person opens his beak and applies the medicine. Do it slowly so as not to choke him, but quickly enough that it goes down instead of him spitting it out.

Bo is one tough amazon and hated the entire ordeal, but we got pretty good at it, so it was relatively quick and painless. Of course, he got to know what the towel meant, so often we didn’t even use it.

We did it for a full month! He had gotten into D-Con (stupid me) and we had to give him Vitamin K.