• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vomiting or regurgitation?

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
So my bird just either regurgitated or vomited on me and I was wondering if anyone has answers.

I'm not sure what her sex but I just call her she. Anyways she was just doing a headbobbing motion with her head a couple times while she was sitting next to me then threw up some food onto me. As far as I read this is regurgitation not vomiting since it was also mostly undigested food. I forgot to take photos but if it happens again I def will. Should I take her to a vet if its regurgitation or just vomiting? Also this is the first time this has happened and I just introduced a bit of the new seed mix I bought her yesterday plus a new toy, would this factor in?

She doesn't have mirrors or anything that I would imagine that might stimulate her. I have had her since she was about 7-8 weeks and got her in august so she is about 5 ish months so I can't really imagine that she is getting hormonal at this age but she is molting currently and has displayed a bit of hormonal behaviour.

Her behaviour hasn't changed apart from being a bit moody from the molt and her poop has stayed the same. I also weigh her every couple days and she has steadily gained weight and is currently 52 grams.

So my main question is; is this concerning or worth a vet visit? (Im a bit tight with money so hopefully not). Is this just hormones/her just seeing me as her mate?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds like regurgitating to me. As babies, they will practice adult behaviors while still with "mom and dad" to prepare themselves for adulthood. At this age it wouldn't be hormone related.

Vomiting is an uncontrolled action and in most birds its a shaking motion of the head. Food is flung vs carefully brought up and deposited or reingested.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hard to tell without a video. Does the bird look distressed when it occurs? Is it a back and forth motion? or violent head shaking back/forth/side to side? Could also be crop adjusting, happens to Loki once every few months where she is adjusting her crop because something is irritating her crop and starts bringing up food and flinging it everywhere.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I agree with Shawna and everyone else here, it's common to regurgitate and adjust crop. A harmless behavior.
But solid confirmation would require a video of your bird doing this.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Hard to tell without a video. Does the bird look distressed when it occurs? Is it a back and forth motion? or violent head shaking back/forth/side to side? Could also be crop adjusting, happens to Loki once every few months where she is adjusting her crop because something is irritating her crop and starts bringing up food and flinging it everywhere.
Yeah I didn't catch a vid but the next time I see it I def will and post it here. She doesn't look distressed and its kind of like a head-bobbing back and forth rather than shaking side to side.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It does sound like regurgitating.

Vomiting is pretty clear, head shaking side to side with food flying out everywhere.

Bringing up food and carefully depositing it onto a favourite toy, or just re-eating it again are normal :)

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I have a male 5 month old lovebird and he has also just begun to try and regurgitate on me and his toys. It’s a very deliberate almost up and down head motion. Vomiting presents with an involuntary head shaking and sprays everywhere. This sounds like regurgitation to me