• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Very clingy cockatiel who hates her cage

Bee&Birb

Moving in
Real Name
Bee
So I have a roughly 5 month old cockatiel that I’ve had for 2 or 3 months. She’s extremely clingy and hates being in her cage. Whenever I put her in her cage she screams and paces and when that doesn’t work she’ll sit on one of her perches and not move until I let her out. I have to start going to school in a couple weeks and no one else is going to be home to interact with her. I don’t know what I can do so get her to start liking being in her cage with only 2 weeks until school starts. Help?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Can you post a photo of her set up? How big is the cage? You can try putting foraging activities in her cage. What types of toys does she have?

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
Just keep getting different kind of toys until you find something she will play with. Paper, leather, shiney, rope, shreddable, bells, swings, etc. Make sure the textures, colors, and types are different. I know it can be discouraging if you buy a toy and the bird doesn't show interest but don't give up and keep getting different toys. Eventually they'll find something they like. She likes you which is fantastic but birds need to learn how to play with toys too, it's very important for their development and health because it's impossible to keep them with you 24/7.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I can’t view the photo for some reason.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Looks like a good size cage with a variety of toys. Maybe try hiding treats around. Start easy and progressively make them harder to find. You can even make it so she has to go forage for most of her food.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Do you think that something she sees in the window is scaring her? What I would suggest is covering just that side of the cage with a towel so she can feel safe. But great cage setup. If she wants to look outside of the window, she can do it from on top of her cage.