• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT: bloody cere after running into a window

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
Geebs, my cockatiel, is clipped and slowly growing her wings back in, but we didn't expect her to be so good at flying so quickly. Today, something dropped and she was so startled that she flew around the room and straight into our glass door. She fell about four feet.

She climbed up to my shoulder and sat there for ten minutes recovering before she finally came down. She is extremely puffy and her eyes are dropping like she wants to go to sleep. After I got her down, I noticed a red patch between her nostrils in the middle of her cere. I'm not sure if it's blood exactly, but it definitely wasn't there before. I'm worried she has a concussion, but I'm so unfamiliar with that in birds and right now I just don't want her to fall asleep. She is not acting like herself. She is usually very energetic and fiesty and she's turned sluggish. She tried to preen her wings, and it looked normal but just in slow motion. Everything she's doing is slow.

Help!! I'm trying to get an appointment with the vet, but it's so difficult where I live. What should I do in the meantime? How can I keep her safe till then? It's been about an hour and I'm watching her movements.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry it’s so late after you posted but how is your little one now?

outmaww

Meeting neighbors
I was afraid to have her go to bed last night, she had recovered somewhat but was still a little shaky... this morning she seems much better, much more like herself. She's moving around more and is less puffed-up. I managed to get a picture of her cere; does anyone know if it's blood or something else? It looks scabbed over to me.
1658934126082.jpeg

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
After a head strike you should keep them caged and quiet except when cuddling with you for a few days . I thi k my vet allways recommend taking it easy for a week.
Because being g active raises blood pressure and canbeorsen any brain swell or bleeding. Plus they have an increased risk of bumping it against while still suffering from a concussion.

I think your baby is going to be fine.

I stress the cage rest.

If you were in a car accident and bashed your head your doctor wouldn't let you do sports for a few days.

Love the sweet face on your baby

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Learning to fly after feathers grow out is a bit of Learning curve.
But they will be pros pretty quickly @

Burd strike decals on windows can help