• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Keoki

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
And yes...you may want to lower the perches. Also consider getting him a ladder. Are the dish rings/holders welded to the cage? If not you can move those lower. If they are then just move the food dishes to the bottom.
Yes welded.. I do have detachable SS dishes too. I will set it up like the last cage and move everything lower until he adjusts

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yes, he steps up, he attempts and flys at me too - haha I just don’t want to give in watching how pathetic he looks on the bottom. He’ll go and sit in the corner looking all defeated.
He's ok, just relax and let him be. You need to relax too ! :xflove: they pickup on your moods.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@MauiWendy didn't you mention that the breeder never put him in a cage, he was in a brooder? He might be confused since he has never seen or been in a cage before.
There is a member that has Java, he is disabled and I am sure she can give you some advice and points @Brittany0208

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
@MauiWendy didn't you mention that the breeder never put him in a cage, he was in a brooder? He might be confused since he has never seen or been in a cage before.
There is a member that has Java, he is disabled and I am sure she can give you some advice and points @Brittany0208
No that wasn’t me. And his breeder isn’t very helpful.. Im done asking his breeder questions, sadly I get no answers. He’s been in a temporary cage since he’s been here. We just got his “new” escape proof cage :p and that’s the one he is getting used to. I will look for Britney0208. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's just a baby and there are so many new things and people around him even though you have had him for almost a week. Even adult birds are sometimes fearful when they are moved to new cages. When I moved Jaden into his new cage he was very frightened. He had seen that cage before I moved him into it but it didn't matter. However he did get over the fright.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I don’t think he is frightened, more than being stubborn about being in it. He’s in it right now, i moved everything lower, and I just put him there. He wasn’t happy, but not frightened. he’d just rather be out on his boing.

80E9CC72-4213-4665-8950-649BC50105BC.jpeg He’s just sitting there all quiet. Lil booger.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I don’t think he is frightened, more than being stubborn about being in it. He’s in it right now, i moved everything lower, and I just put him there. He wasn’t happy, but not frightened. he’d just rather be out on his boing.

View attachment 291771 He’s just sitting there all quiet. Lil booger.

He'll get over it.;):smuggrin:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, you think he is pouting? :)
If you don't see him climbing you may need to move the dishes even lower.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Well.... he just wants out....biting the cage trying to get out. I had to put a perch in the corner where he’s been chewing to get out. he’s either just sitting in the corner on the bottom or He is climbing all over the cage seeking a way out, but he won’t settle on a perch not even his boing. He loves his boing (outside of his cage) but he won’t sit on it inside his cage. Then he leaps and falls to the bottom... I’m not responding to him. Now he is sulking on the bottom of the cage again. UGH! I’m thinking about just going in the bedroom where he can’t see me.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He wants to come out and play. :) He might also be a bit anxious since he is in a new cage. My red-bellies had their siblings to hang out with when they were in their cages and brooder so not the same as a lone bird. How did he do last night?
Is the bottom of the cage padded/the grate covered with something since he is leaping and falling? Does he have a rope perch that looks similar to a Boing? Maybe he will perch on a rope perch and settle down. Maybe he needs a soft stuffed buddy that he can sit next to or lie on for comfort. Something that is bird safe.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
He wants to come out and play. :) He might also be a bit anxious since he is in a new cage. My red-bellies had their siblings to hang out with when they were in their cages and brooder so not the same as a lone bird. How did he do last night?
Is the bottom of the cage padded/the grate covered with something since he is leaping and falling? Does he have a rope perch that looks similar to a Boing? Maybe he will perch on a rope perch and settle down. Maybe he needs a soft stuffed buddy that he can sit next to or lie on for comfort. Something that is bird safe.
Yes, the bottom of the cage is padded with a towel. If he is out on his boing he is fine. But he cant eat or drink. I ended up hand feeding him last night because he didn’t eat much yesterday and he seemed hungry. He took 10ccs. I done want to feed him outside his cage too much. I may have a stuffed animal I can put in there. He did fine last night in the sense that I just had to turn off the lights and go to bed, he settled. And he knows where food is inside his cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He might like the stuffed toy or he might be afraid of it. Just make sure there is nothing he can pull off of it such as eyes, nose, mouth, etc. Something like the banana that my babies had. Each of my clutches had a banana. :)
mulder scully banana.jpg
If remember correctly it had eyes but I removed those. It's a dog toy. Nothing wrong with continuing to offering him formula. It's good that you did that.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He could also be afraid of all those scary 'things' hanging above him and wants to stay at the bottom. Our rescue was like that for 3 days before he figured out that his toys and bowl wouldn't attack him.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Well good news to report. Keoki has accepted his cage. He is finally sleeping on his favorite perch. He was playing on the bottom earlier I just sat with him with the door open. He had that happy cuteness about him. He ate a nutriberry and some millet. When he was done eating and playing, he and I and his boing spent the day in my bedroom. He really enjoyed that. I did hand feed him again today and a little tonight but when I put him back in he ate his veggies from his bowel. Got on his perch and went to sleep...I can rest well tonight...

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great. Good for Keoki!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
That's great. Good for Keoki!
He did really well last night. The weekend was stressful, I’m tired! Wish I didn’t have to work today! Haha. Well guess who’s up! Off I go to start my day. Have a great day everyone :holiday1