• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Turquoise GCC weight question

jjmmzara

Moving in
I wanted to check with more experienced bird parents on my GCC’s weight. Adopted from pet store in May, hatch date November 2021. Zara eats 2-3 tablespoons of Higgins vita seed conure blend, about 2-3 tablespoons of fresh fruit/vegetables, 1tsp of Tops pellets in a day, plus nutriberries as a treat. I didn’t weigh her right away after adoption, but the first couple weeks she ate a TON. I think she didn’t get fresh food at the pet store and low quality pellets/seeds. About 1 1/2 weeks after adoption she weighed 68 grams, then up to 72 grams the next week and feathers brightened up a lot. Stayed at 71-72 grams until about a week ago. I was out of town for my sons camp for 9 days, and when I came back she weighed 68grams. She got the same foods/amounts from my husband and daughter. Could the Weight loss be from stress since she’s so bonded to me? Or maybe Weight is leveling out since we got her? Acting normal, normal poops, etc. 1st picture is recent, 2nd from right after we got her in May.

Attachments

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would continue to check on weight daily ( same time every day ) if the weight continues to drop contact your vet, you could offer more fresh food it wont do any harm. I am not familiar with Vita seed conure, is your bird eating pellets ? if not might be worth starting to transition him across to pellets.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are all the weights you have from first thing in the morning after pooping and before feeding?

jjmmzara

Moving in
I would continue to check on weight daily ( same time every day ) if the weight continues to drop contact your vet, you could offer more fresh food it wont do any harm. I am not familiar with Vita seed conure, is your bird eating pellets ? if not might be worth starting to transition him across to pellets.
Yes she also gets Tops pellets. I’ve been trying to add more fresh and offer more nutriberries since she loves them.

jjmmzara

Moving in
Here’s
here’s the details on her seed blend:

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, my Jardine's eats less if I am not in the room with him. So if I have been gone all day, or even in my office all day, he will wait to tuck into his food until I am nearby.