• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

trying to get more foraging toys!

Sookitiel

Meeting neighbors
Since I am changing Sooki’s diet to be more healthy, I want to get her more foraging toys too! Does anyone know any cheap stores that are near Australia so I don’t have to pay lots for shipping?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If your looking for a cheap foraging option that can be bought locally, a shallow tray filled with crinkle paper or dry grass hay makes for an excellent basic foraging toy. Keeps them entertained for a long while and it's reusable.

20210927_150225.jpg

20211214_145034.jpg

I bought these large saucers from the garden section of a home improvement store. They are used to catch water under large flower pots. But any appropriately sized tray or shallow box would work. You probably already own something that would work. I buy hay for small animals from the pet store. A small bag should last you a while. Or you could use somethimg else, like shredded paper. I toss in a generous handful of grass hay, then sprinkle a variety of goodies on the grass for my birds to find. I usually add a variety of seeds, nutriberries, edible flower petals, dried herbs, freeze-dried chop, calcium clay, and other natural treats. To make it a bit of a challenge, I give the tray a little shake, so most of the treasures fall to the bottom and are hidden from view. But the birds know to start searching as soon as I bring out a fresh tray. And I will occassionally refresh the trays with more treats, so they keep coming back to check again.

20201116_132650.jpg

It is a fun game ... and a nice place to take a nap. ;)

20220118_144347.jpg

I haven't used these indoors, but I recommend putting it on hard floor, so you can easily sweep up any grass or paper that escapes the tray. Or put a small foraging tray inside a larger tray to catch any mess.

Another simple DIY foraging toy just uses little paper cups. Start by offering the treat cups open and accessible, so your bird learns to recognize them and knows there is good stuff inside.

20200720_090422.jpg

Then gradually increase the difficulty, by folding or pinching the cup closed. See how long it takes for him to work out how to reach the hiddsn treats!

20200720_090540.jpg

Where I live, these cups are called "soufle cups" or condiment cups. You can buy them in packs of 50 or 100, so one bag of cups will last a long time and offer a lot of destructive parrot fun. :)

Sookitiel

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the advice! I’ll look into it, but those are some great ideas.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You’ll not really find cheap reusable foraging toys that are actually safe unfortunately.

If you’re looking for cheap foraging toys then you’re probably best off making your own from simple things such as shredded paper, boxes, cardboard tubes and other things you already have at home- there are many ways to make foraging toys/activities.

Foraging can be as simple as covering a bowl with screwed up paper or a sheet of paper (tied round the top of the bowl) or a leaf of lettuce, adding beads to the top of the food dish that your bird will need move to access the food or you can make it more difficult in an enclosed box that your bird must destroy to get to the goodies.

You’ll definitely want to ensure your bird knows how to forage before you make them forage for their main food supply.

Many of the reusable foraging toys are really worth what they cost as they can get used again and again and are definitely safe unlike some of the cheaper options found on eBay.

Sookitiel

Meeting neighbors
Okay thanks! I was looking at YouTube on how to make foraging toys just then actually

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Here are a few threads that show foraging trays/boxes and other foraging toys.