• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging Photos

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I am interested in looking at your foraging toy photos! Do you have any to post?

Also advice on how you have been using the Featherland Creative Foraging acrylic toys, specifically. I have the wheel (pictured below) and the hanging ball with tray (pictured below, but hanging instead of side cage mounted), but have not figured out how to make it work for my conures. So any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

1625552472693.png
1625552487424.png

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lol half the foraging toys I’ve bought got broken (Burt cheats at foraging lmao) and the other half I don’t dare use anymore because they won’t stand up to Burt and his buster beak.
I’ll get you some pics of the ones I still have (they’re all either quite damaged or just kept in a drawer till I can offer them to a bird who will use them without destroying them). BRB :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
but have not figured out how to make it work for my conures.
Maybe this will help;

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I like to make my own! :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
1CFCE6C0-49D9-4563-A7EF-3813CA3ADB4D.jpeg These I got when Burt was 1 and stopped using them before he was 2 when he started just breaking the bits covering the openings- I have replaced the wheel things and the plastic cups on the one on the left and stopped using it, the one on the right I kept using till he started opening chain links- still need to replace the wheel things on that one. Yes, that’s the original tag put back on the toy- I’m a weirdo and have nearly all the tags from toys stashed away somewhere- probably with half the empty pellet bags I seem to have hoarded lol CF4EEC16-94DE-4D9B-A424-44F77E75950F.jpeg One on the left he loved but we stopped using it because of the chain.
The one on the right he really loves and still gets to use but only if I can watch him and remove it as soon as he starts breaking the links- it’s hanging very short to what it was as new. 85845ABF-0127-4BB7-A325-6408A9DF1B45.jpeg This one is a brand new replacement I was sent after having the store owner tell me it was macaw proof so I bought it- Burt broke the original before even getting anything out of it by ripping it off the cage 8ED17607-A645-4C21-86A8-B8264D9FD805.jpeg This one is a favourite and so far he’s left the chain on it alone, I can replace the chain easily with welded chain if needed though and so far he hasn’t tried to kill it cos he’s too busy swinging it like a boxing bag or hanging off it. He also has the smaller version of this toy that he got when he was a baby- that one is currently being used by another bird in the hopes of introducing that bird to foraging.

I now simply make wooden foraging toys as they’re easy and cheap to replace. Any other bought foraging toys we’ve had have either been designed to be totally destroyed or have become useless after Burt foraged so they got binned.
I’m not game to buy anymore without recommendations from other destructive macaw owners.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
These are wonderful! :D

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
View attachment 387985 These I got when Burt was 1 and stopped using them before he was 2 when he started just breaking the bits covering the openings- I have replaced the wheel things and the plastic cups on the one on the left and stopped using it, the one on the right I kept using till he started opening chain links- still need to replace the wheel things on that one. Yes, that’s the original tag put back on the toy- I’m a weirdo and have nearly all the tags from toys stashed away somewhere- probably with half the empty pellet bags I seem to have hoarded lol View attachment 387986 One on the left he loved but we stopped using it because of the chain.
The one on the right he really loves and still gets to use but only if I can watch him and remove it as soon as he starts breaking the links- it’s hanging very short to what it was as new. View attachment 387987 This one is a brand new replacement I was sent after having the store owner tell me it was macaw proof so I bought it- Burt broke the original before even getting anything out of it by ripping it off the cage View attachment 387988 This one is a favourite and so far he’s left the chain on it alone, I can replace the chain easily with welded chain if needed though and so far he hasn’t tried to kill it cos he’s too busy swinging it like a boxing bag or hanging off it. He also has the smaller version of this toy that he got when he was a baby- that one is currently being used by another bird in the hopes of introducing that bird to foraging.

I now simply make wooden foraging toys as they’re easy and cheap to replace. Any other bought foraging toys we’ve had have either been designed to be totally destroyed or have become useless after Burt foraged so they got binned.
I’m not game to buy anymore without recommendations from other destructive macaw owners.
Do you have some of them stuffed?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
the one on the right I kept using till he started opening chain links
I wish @Jan made foraging toys! They'd be pricey if she had to weld chain (or made that an option) but they sure would last! :yes3:

8ED17607-A645-4C21-86A8-B8264D9FD805.jpeg
This one is a favourite and so far he’s left the chain on it alone, I can replace the chain easily with welded chain if needed though and so far he hasn’t tried to kill it cos he’s too busy swinging it like a boxing bag or hanging off it.
I've seen that one but skipped it because I wasn't sure how sturdy it was or whether big beaks would fit. But if Burt the Destroyer likes it and hasn't flattened it I'll have to buy one! :D What do you like to fill it with?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wish @Jan made foraging toys! They'd be pricey if she had to weld chain (or made that an option) but they sure would last! :yes3:

I've seen that one but skipped it because I wasn't sure how sturdy it was or whether big beaks would fit. But if Burt the Destroyer likes it and hasn't flattened it I'll have to buy one! :D What do you like to fill it with?
I usually stuff it with shredded paper or screwed up bits of paper and dried foods (pellets, chilies, bits of nut) if it’s to actually keep him busy. I’ve also filled it with flowers, wet food like fresh capsicum, carrot and green beans as well as bits of broken toys. They originally came with plastic peanut toys in them but he chewed them to tiny bits.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I've bought a few, but mostly make my own because the commercial ones don't stand up to a lot of abuse against bigger beaks.

I have the acrylic ball on the post minus the post and dish and use it for my macaw who loves to throw it and bash it about. It's nearly indestructible.

I have a wheel that spins to dispense a treat (called a "food tumbler" at the site Zara linked too) except the TAG loved on it so much she broke it.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
OK I just filled it with some pellets and some nuts, and my conure is into it. She didn't even want to look at it 8 years ago.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is what i am currently using for my conure to forage. 20210720_142617.jpg

They have millet,sunflower seed and Nutriberri hidden in them. They keep her occupied for a couple of hours but need to add something a bit more challenging for her so any feedback on how your conure is doing with yours would be appreciated.