• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trimming a new lovebird's nails???

Melophile

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Laura Georgescu
My two lovebirds (both female, both a year and a half old, bonded) have been biting their nails. I think they need to be trimmed, but I don't know how to do that when they won't let me hold them.

They try to bite me whenever my hand draws near, and they've been especially grumpy lately. A lot of honking. I read online that Spring and Fall are when they mate, so it may be hormonal.

Is there a way for me to trim their nails without alarming them? Or should I just let it be? Would letting their nails grow too long cause any health complications?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there a way for me to trim their nails without alarming them?
You could take them to a professional (vet or groomer) and let them sort it for you ;)

Once they're a good length you can add a nice pedi-perch (one with a smooth side) and it will help keep the nails a good length.

Melophile

Real Name
Laura Georgescu
You could take them to a professional (vet or groomer) and let them sort it for you ;)

Once they're a good length you can add a nice pedi-perch (one with a smooth side) and it will help keep the nails a good length.
I feel like they'd bite the vet too, lol. Plus, isn't that really expensive? Though a pedi-perch sounds like a good idea, I didn't know those were a thing. Thanks for the advice.

I set out a basin of water just a moment ago with lots of fluffy towels to bathe, but they just drank from it before flying off again. Interesting, because I caught Lemon (love-beotch #2) this morning shivering after bathing in their actual drinking water... :') my clever lil birds everyone, lol

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I feel like they'd bite the vet too
No, I don't think so. A vet with small parrot experience will be able to quickly towel or securely hold them without being bitten.

As for costs that depends on location and each vet centre or grooming centre. Ask around, see who has experience with small parrots and what the prices are. I wouldn't go to a vet who aren't experienced in small birds.

Melophile

Real Name
Laura Georgescu
No, I don't think so. A vet with small parrot experience will be able to quickly towel or securely hold them without being bitten.

As for costs that depends on location and each vet centre or grooming centre. Ask around, see who has experience with small parrots and what the prices are. I wouldn't go to a vet who aren't experienced in small birds.
Oh okay, thanks.