• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traveling with others & Houseguests

opalwings

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
shiva
Hello!
im wondering if im the only one who has anxiety issues with traveling with others or having houseguests, or staying with others, with birds.

I never traveled after we got our first bird baby. three years ago. other than two times. We did take one Airbnb driving trip, just me and my husband. It was great.

however, we also had to attend my brothers wedding at one point. We had to stay in an Airbnb with two other family members. These family members had lived with me when I first got the bird and was learning about safety- so they learned about the pots and pans, no incense, all of that. they complained and didn’t like it- they wanted to burn incense and do what they want
we drove with my bird ( only had one at that time), and before we took her in, I went in and found all the smelly things like air freshener sticks, and took them into the garage of the Airbnb. I had also made sure to mention to the others, to remind them, not to use any non stick pans etc. I noticed the pans hanging up in the kitchen , said T-Fal. So I made sure to mention it…
everything was going well until the next morning when I went upstairs and my husband nephew was cooking with one of the pans. I told him, NO not that pan! That can kill her! He took it off and put it in the sink.

later on I came back up and my sister in law was cooking with another one of the pans. Again i strongly insisted she stop, and she apologized. They asked me what they can cook with and I found a stainless steel pot.
i was just shaking with anxiety and so worried about my baby. She was fine.
but it was a bit traumatizing. To this day, I do not trust others to not make mistakes string my birds. These were trusted beloved family members that loved my bird, were bonded with it in friendship, flock members lol.
they had lived with me. they knew this stuff. They are very intelligent thoughtful people. I thought, if I can’t be sure about them, who can I be sure about?

I told my husband that I just don’t feel comfortable traveling with others if the girls are with us, or staying with family or anyone.

I am so hyper aware and concerned about bird safety, that even thought of having houseguests really freaks me out. I specifically bought an oven that doesn’t have self clean, bc of a houseguest horror story I heard.

my husband insisted that his mom come and stay for a week or two. She’s his mom, I adore her, what could I say?

Well, the birds are used to having the run of the house and coming downstairs with me. I was walking downstairs and yelled, I have the birds with me, is it safe? She seemed to sound in agreement, when I walked into the kitchen (open layout), she had a stove burner on!
i ran the birds back upstairs.
then she was cooking in the kitchen all day with all burners blazing, everyday. Nothing to complain about, her food is amazing, but I just had to keep the birds in my bedroom all week.
the mom is also getting old and tends to leave the gas on as well.

then my husband had a nephew come and stay but it was just for one night, he’s a college kid, I figured, and he didn’t have anything smelly or that heats up. I just kept the birds in my room.
But the next morning we went next door to the family home. He went back to our place.
when I went back, the smell of Axe body spray was literally reeling through the house!!! He hadnt brought any but had borrowed some from his cousin next door. I had to to open windows, fan, plug the door cracks etc.

so my question is, am I a nut for not wanting to have houseguests or stay with anyone?

My husband is really annoyed at me, but I also find that people seem to not love it when I hand them a seven page binder about how not to hurt my birds, or fly around the house squawking because they did something on the List! People who aren’t bird lovers just can’t understand. One of my in laws even protested that she had friends with budgies, and they used bleach and burned incense and cooked with normal pans, and had the birds close to the kitchen, they were fine, etc. as a way to say, I was being overprotective and it’s not that big a deal.

my husband really is close with his family and wants to travel with them and bring the birds, and also loves having houseguests. To me, it’s terrifying!

He gets really angry and upset at me for being a bird hermit and not wanting to go anywhere with the birds unless it’s just us in the air bnb.
I’d rather just leave them if we are staying with others. For years I wouldn’t leave them because I don’t trust anyone. But I finally did find someone who runs a “birdie resort” out of her home, that looks just fabulous! They are a real pro. So I may try that someday.

I hear about people traveling with birds and staying with family, having houseguests…, how do you do it?
AM I A TOTAL NUT?
On second thought maybe don’t answer that

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would simply make sure you have a safe space for your birds in your home that they stay in when you have others visit if you wish to keep your hubby on good terms.
I personally don’t care in the slightest who I upset when it comes to the health and safety of my birds, I’m blunt and rude about it after politely giving the list before people visit and double checking when they get to my house - I also am not a huge one for wanting or needing other people around me much (especially in my home) so I don’t fret about them choosing to stay away and no longer visit lol
I also tend to roll my eyes or laugh at those comments about “so and so having birds in situations with ignorant people making the air quality terrible for their birds and the birds being fine” the people making them comments are just as ignorant as those polluting the air they put their birds in and I won’t waste my time educating them past reminding them that it’s never the first pack of cigarettes that gave someone terminal cancer.
I wouldn’t ever want to travel and stay at any of my family members homes (phone calls and short visits are already enough!) so I do find it hilarious when they tell me I can simply bring my birds so I can visit them.

Other members who do enjoy visiting, visitors and group travel may be better qualified to answer your questions in a way that helps you find some common ground with your non bird friends and family.
Good luck!

opalwings

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
shiva
lol, thank you so much for your entertaining reply! It’s nice to know I’m not the only introverted bird person :)
I love people, I’m very happy going out for lunch or adventures…or having others for a short time, like tea.
i just struggle living with others and having to turn my whole life upside down, which also affects the birds. I just love my safe haven at home and relaxing with my feathered babies, free of any fear that someone might make a safety faux pas.
I ended up printing out a new, brazen, rather extensive bird rules for houseguests list…
So from now on I will be giving these to every one who comes to stay. And sitting down to go over everything so they don’t just skim it.
doing this project has already alleviated some of anxiety for me, because I feel like a decent person will take it seriously if I really explain it thoroughly.
i will also probably keep the birds in the room upstairs, rather then bringing them down to common areas. They are small birds and have a gargantuan 60”wide cage/ resort that they love hanging out in, so they should be ok spending more time in there and I will feel better knowing they are safe in there.
Thank you!

Last edited: