• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys in cotton rope

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Hello everyone,

First of all I hope I am in the good part of this forum to post this (I am new here).

I take care of a Senegal parrot for two months now, and I am afraid I could have done a mistake and hopefully not too many.

I bought him two toys in cotton ropes and it was fine, he is rather quiet and apparently prefer to stay on my shoulder than his toys but anyway sometimes he was sitting on one of them.

Today after his meal in his cage I noticed he was walking strangely and put his feet in his mouth. Actually he had strands of cotton between his feet and was not able to walk normally or climb anymore. I was terrified but managed to remove the strands (it was really really not easy to do that).

Now I removed the toys from the cage because I do not want it to happen again but I wonder:

- do you think it happened because he has long nails (we never clipped them I dont know if we should) and maybe removes some strands of the nails?

- do you think toys with cotton ropes are dangerous in general? If so I have read that sisal or hemp ropes could be alternative. Anyone know if these ones are safe?

Thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not use cotton in my toys, nor do I give them to my bird. I do allow cotton rope perches because I find them to be a little less of an issue. However they can get snagged on nails and ingest fibers if they chew them. Sisal, abaca, manilla, and hemp are usually safer.

SunTruth

Thank you for your answers.

I know it is not he question per se, but it is related, do you clip the nails of your parrot? Because I feel it might be the combination long nail/cotton toys that could cause issue (beside chewing/cotton).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on the bird. Some are good about doing it themselves, others aren't. If your bird is standing on a flat surface and their nails make their toes lift off the surface, their nails are too long. If they are super Sharp you can file the end of snip the end to make it a bit more blunt

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't need to clip. I give my birds a couple of really thick perches, and they also have textured shower and window perches. Between these perches, their nails get worn down to a good length.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are. However, I use them where my parrots don't spend a lot of time. A textured perch must never be your parrot's sleeping perch because the texture is too rough on their feet.

If I gave textured perches in their cages, I would use one that has a smooth top surface so that the bird's feet rest on the smooth surface, with only their nails gripping the textured part. Here's a post about choosing a suitable pedi-perch

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don’t use cotton perches or toys anymore for this reason. They can be dangerous and you can’t always be home supervising their use of such toys.

I use sisal rope.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Hello everyone,

First of all I hope I am in the good part of this forum to post this (I am new here).

I take care of a Senegal parrot for two months now, and I am afraid I could have done a mistake and hopefully not too many.

I bought him two toys in cotton ropes and it was fine, he is rather quiet and apparently prefer to stay on my shoulder than his toys but anyway sometimes he was sitting on one of them.

Today after his meal in his cage I noticed he was walking strangely and put his feet in his mouth. Actually he had strands of cotton between his feet and was not able to walk normally or climb anymore. I was terrified but managed to remove the strands (it was really really not easy to do that).

Now I removed the toys from the cage because I do not want it to happen again but I wonder:

- do you think it happened because he has long nails (we never clipped them I dont know if we should) and maybe removes some strands of the nails?

- do you think toys with cotton ropes are dangerous in general? If so I have read that sisal or hemp ropes could be alternative. Anyone know if these ones are safe?

Thank you
There are other options for ropes. You could buy different ropes or Stainless Steel Skewers and remake the toys.

SunTruth

There are other options for ropes. You could buy different ropes or Stainless Steel Skewers and remake the toys.
Yes I will try to find a circle ring stand in sisal but unfortunately the stores have very limited choices where I live.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Flagstone perches from seriouslynutz are great for keeping your birds nails in check.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes I will try to find a circle ring stand in sisal but unfortunately the stores have very limited choices where I live.
Although I like to support local stores when possible, online shopping is best for hard to find items like those.